P3P need to have GPS turned off for altitude over 120m????

in dji app you can set the altitude height

Reactions: Mikebo22
+1

For the record, turning off your GPS is not going to help.

I don't have a P3 but my understanding from reading threads is you can over-ride the 400 ft ascent limit some way - check your manual.

You might be able to go over 120m/400ft altitude but that is imposed limit by the FAA which has now been built into the birds firmware, depending on which version of firmware your bird is on.
Have they really limited the altitude to 400' in the USA? Yikes that's scary!
I only just found out that in the UK the 400' limit can be exceeded to 1000'. The whole law is a grey area though.

I just got a P3P and it stops at 120M in altitude. I've done some google searching and it says turn off GPS to go higher? will that not allow a home point to return home? dont i need GPS on to not lose it? sorry i am a noob.

heres a source i found. I'm just trying to understand more.

Phantom 3 Professional- Flight Limits and No-Fly Zones - DJI Wiki

No, you don't want to fly without GPS unless it's an emergency. With no GPS is Atti mode or full manual. The UAV will drift and you will be flying with no computer helping you. If you let go of the sticks the bird will fly wherever depending on your calibrations and that is easy enough only when you are prepared. Go into the settings in the go app and find the height limitation button, click it off and accept the agreement to go 500m high. It's as simple as that and you need to find it in the app just to get familiar with it :) Unless there has been a change in the latest firmware, the button is there. DJI just wants you to take your own responsibility for flying higher then the 400' FAA proposed limit in the US.

yes you can set it higher but a message will come on and tell you that you are going higher than allowed I have mine set at 500 feet

Actually it isn't a law. It is a "strongly recommended safety guideline". That being said, if you don't follow the guidelines you would probably open yourself to all kinds of problems if an accident were to occur. And if I remember correctly when you get your FAA registration you agree to follow the guidelines.

Turning off GPS isn't going to help you and will make it much easier to crash your bird.

I just got a P3P and it stops at 120M in altitude. I've done some google searching and it says turn off GPS to go higher? will that not allow a home point to return home? dont i need GPS on to not lose it?
You might be able to go over 120m/400ft altitude but that is imposed limit by the FAA which has now been built into the birds firmware, depending on which version of firmware your bird is on.
Have they really limited the altitude to 400' in the USA? Yikes that's scary!
What's really scary is the misinformation you would pick up if you believed whatever is posted in forums.

To answer the original question, There is a user-adjustable maximum altitude limit that is by default set to 400 feet.
You were confused with the GPS off thing.
With GPS off, the Phantom will NOT fly higher than 400 feet even if you have disabled the max altitude setting.

Reactions: flpholt
With GPS off, the Phantom will NOT fly higher than 400 feet even if you have disabled the max altitude setting.

Didn't know this. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Make sure you don't have beginner mode on.

I live at the base of a small mountain, or large hill some would call it. My take off point is 700-800ft below the mountain its about a mile away, I regularly fly up and over the mountain. Toady the Go app showed me at 935 ft alt, but I was really only 100 ft above the trees at the top of the mountain. I ascend as I am going up the mountain. I have never gotten an altitude warning.

Reactions: Reed L
You won't get a warning when you are flying. It pops up when you change the altitude from 120 meters in the settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: flpholt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers