P3P Motor Arm Twists

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have about 150 flights in on my P3P. Today I noticed that the two motor arms on the back (straddling the battery) appear to twist when I apply pressure that seems consistent with hard maneuvers like active braking or in high winds (not much, perhaps a millimeter). The front two arms seem rock solid.

I confirmed that it wasn't the motor bolts/mount (they are tight, but not too tight). The motors don't seem like they're at risk of pulling off, they just twist more than the front two. Am I just noticing "the way it is" or is there something I need to tighten down internally? I don't see any loose bolts on the exterior shell, and don't want to void my warranty.

Thanks!

I don't know if it could be the cause but I noticed on my P3S that the upper half of the shell is not molded continuously all the way around. On both sides of the battery, the shell is formed kind of "up and over" the battery. This might be a weaker area with less structural support.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think you might just be right. I just watched a video of a gentleman disassembling a P3P and noticed that there are no "arms" inside the shell. The shell provides all the rigidity needed to keep the motors in the proper place. I confirmed by checking some online photos. Interesting; I just assumed this thing had a magnesium or carbon-fiber "cross" inside to reinforce things. The twisting I see in the rear two arms might be perfectly normal.

Is that what others see?

Some flex is beneficial however in some cases this combined with other manufacturing differences/tolerances likely contributes in cracked housings near the motor mounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20