P3P is landing hard

Reaction score
I had a P3S and recently upgraded to a P3P. Im running into issues when I land. It seems like the VSP isnt working or it thinks the ground is further away than it is. Whether I land my self or I hit the auto land button the drone lands hard each time, bouncing off the ground. On my P3S it would 'bounce' on a cushion of air then lightly touch down. I have calibrated the IMU sitting on the ground and verified that VSP is turned on. Is there something small I am overlooking?

I recently went from P3S to P3P but with the weather have yet to fly the P3P. I found the P3S down right simple to land so I am interested to hear what you find out.

I had no problems landing it with auto land with the standard, something isn't working right. I am just trying to figure out what. I can land it on my own to ensure that it lands safely but that's not really fixing it, its just working around it.

The VPS IS ACTUALLY FOR INDOOR LANDINGS
FOR OUTDOOR LANDINGS BETTER TURN IT OFF AND SMOOTHLY PUSH THE LEFT STICK DOWN.WHEN YOU TOUCH THE GROUND STILL KEEP IT FOR FEW SECONDS DOWN TILL THE MOTORS SHUT DOWN
BY THE WAY CHECK YOUR SENSORS (GYROSCOPE AND ACCELEROMETER)
And your sticks also might need calibration

I had a P3S and recently upgraded to a P3P. Im running into issues when I land. It seems like the VSP isnt working or it thinks the ground is further away than it is. Whether I land my self or I hit the auto land button the drone lands hard each time, bouncing off the ground. On my P3S it would 'bounce' on a cushion of air then lightly touch down. I have calibrated the IMU sitting on the ground and verified that VSP is turned on. Is there something small I am overlooking?
FYI that it has been reported here a few times before that the P3S lands much smoother than does the P3P or the P3A.

My personal experience is that my P3A (with VPS on) used to autoland very well. I used to love to demonstrate it for people, though when I am just out flying I always hand catch. I don't recall which FW version changed it, but my P3A started to autoland much harder all of a sudden. Because of that, I no longer demonstrate the feature and consider it an emergency use item only.

NEW P3 Pro Hard Auto Landings Compared to Standard P3. How to adjust? | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: JoBe
I tried it with VPS off and it didn't have any affect on it. The drone thinks it is about 1 ft higher than it actually is when landing. It's not the sticks that need to be calibrated, I can land it gently myself. When I fly I always let the aircraft warm up and I calibrate the compass before every flight. I didn't bother to check which FW version I had on my P3S.

I tried it with VPS off and it didn't have any affect on it. The drone thinks it is about 1 ft higher than it actually is when landing.
It doesn't think it is about 1 ft higher than it actually is when landing.
If you have the VPS off, your Phantom has no way of knowing how high above the ground it is.

Whether it was on or off didn't make a difference, landed hard regardless . My P3S without VPS knew where it was when landing, not sure where the disconnect is with the professional.

My P3S without VPS knew where it was when landing
The P3S actually does not know where the ground is located. When auto landing, it just continues to descend until it stops descending. At that point, it assumes it's on the ground.

I've seen a few other people say the P3S auto lands much more smoothly than the P3A/P3P. I'm not sure why that is, but there seems to be a difference somewhere. Regardless, it's really best to learn how to manually land since you are then in complete control. If your Phantom is still bouncing off the ground when you're manually landing, then you're coming down too fast. When you're a few feet from the ground, ease it down... nice and slow.

My P3S would 'bounce' on a cushion of air just before touching down then smoothly land every time I auto landed. I can manually land gently I am just concerned there may be something going with some sensors someplace being that the P3P doesn't slow its decent at all when auto landing.

I am just concerned there may be something going with some sensors someplace being that the P3P doesn't slow its decent at all when auto landing.
No problem there. That's business as usual. Auto land should only be used in emergency situations.

Watch at 1:56 This is how my standard would land every time

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is how my standard would land every time
Why exactly are you auto landing so much? Auto anything is not the best way to fly. You can fly much more precisely by manually taking off, manually landing, etc.

Its not that I auto land all of the time. Its that the auto landing feature doesn't seem to be working right compared to what I was use to with the standard. If I upgrade my car from the LX to the EX and the cruise control in my EX is constantly off 5 MPH where as my LX cruise was dead on every time I used it I wouldn't just write it off because I don't use the cruise control often, I would want to make sure that there wasn't a speed sensor or computer problem.

Its not that I auto land all of the time. Its that the auto landing feature doesn't seem to be working right compared to what I was use to with the standard.
Well, this is how it works right now. Could it be smoother? Probably. Should you be using it often? Probably not.

How many emergency landings do you really think you're going to have? If your Phantom is often auto landing due to a critical battery level, then you're probably doing something wrong.

I might be explaining it wrong because you are totally missing my point. I may never use the auto land feature as long as I own the professional but I would think that if I ever do use it then it should work as smoothly as the standard. I guess not going from a standard version to a professional makes it hard to see how big of a difference there is, if you ever fly a standard and use the auto land you will be pretty amazed with the difference between the two.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan