P3P Hot battery?

Reaction score
P3P. I flew today for the 1st time in over a year. No software updates. I charged all the batteries, drone flew fine. Both from batteries seemed very hot when used down to 25%. Ambient temperature 80 and sunny. How hot is normal. I did not check actual battery temperature.

The batteries will get warm to hot to the touch, without knowing what the actual temp of the battery was it is hard to say if it was to hot. If you join one of the online Drone monitoring programs like Airdata etc. you can select a free account which will show you many of the Phantom stats one of which is battery temp after you upload or sync your flight data.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
P3P. I flew today for the 1st time in over a year. No software updates. I charged all the batteries, drone flew fine. Both from batteries seemed very hot when used down to 25%. Ambient temperature 80 and sunny. How hot is normal. I did not check actual battery temperature.
I have an Airdata account and appreciate the battery management data available at a glance. Mine typically reach anywhere from 90 - 120 degrees F.

The harder you FLY......the more current that battery Shoves thru them itty bitty powerful 4 motors and the battery heats UP from the internal chemical reaction !........have you ever seen just what happens when a flight battery is abused by being shorted out and it blows UP with lots of fire.....U- Tube has several videos of that....honest it's like a bomb.

How LiPo Batteries Explode - Propwashed

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningWithScissors
at first i thought you were going to say that you flew for the first time in a year and updated everything before knowing if it all still worked. that seems to be a popular post here! thumbs up to you for not updating first. my batterys get hot and at first it scared me until i read here that so many people had the same question. now i use airdata as florida drone said. its still scary to see how hot the batterys get but at least i know its normal.

If the battery is too hot to hold for a reasonable period - then its too hot. No need for fancy numbers ... the 'hand test' is good enough.

Nigel

Yeah, what Nigel said. "Normal" is a relative term. I've finished flights with battery temps of 130+, but I don't recommend that as a steady diet for batteries. If you start out with something less than 50% and fly it until you get the critical battery warning, the battery will get uncomfortably hot to the touch when it lands.

I found a flight from one of our P4P's on a day that was 89° F from Airdata. Max battery temp was 136.3F.

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 7.40.02 PM.png

For what it's worth, we may not be able to do a significant amount to keep batteries from getting hot during flights. I flew several flights this past weekend with ground air temp @ 85°and light breezes. Taking off with batteries @ 95%+, flying for 15 minutes each, and landing with 25% remaining, battery temps averaged around 140°+.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1