P3P Electrical Connection Tests

Reaction score
Is there a list of P3P electrical tests and how to perform them?
Know how to use a digital multimeter somewhat but need direction on where to place leads for a motor check, and battery harness check.
Just finished soldering on a motor (doesn't look too good).
Replaced the entire shell; now about to tackle the gimbal ribbon cable replacement.

The FPV sites talk about 'smoke stoppers'; but ST60 connectors don't apply with the P3P.

Illustrated step-by-step electrical tests would be helpful.

Thanks!
bob

Reactions: BillyN
Is there a list of P3P electrical tests and how to perform them?
Know how to use a digital multimeter somewhat but need direction on where to place leads for a motor check, and battery harness check.
Just finished soldering on a motor (doesn't look too good).
Replaced the entire shell; now about to tackle the gimbal ribbon cable replacement.

The FPV sites talk about 'smoke stoppers'; but ST60 connectors don't apply with the P3P.

Illustrated step-by-step electrical tests would be helpful.

Thanks!
bob
Does someone know how to do a continuity test of:
1. recently soldered P3P motor wires to the ESc?
2. main battery connector?

Thanks

My only thought on this is to put the multimeter onto low resistance and check across the joint, should be 0Ω

Difficult to check motors as their windings have very low resistance. They will also have to be disconnected from the ESC before checking.
Again your multimeter needs to register very low resistance! Make sure all three phases read the same and also that there is maximum resistance between the windings and the motor casing, infinity, no shorts.
I think drone motor windings are Delta connected to give them extra power........

Attachments

• Star-and-Delta-Connections.jpg
    Star-and-Delta-Connections.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: kyrvas
My only thought on this is to put the multimeter onto low resistance and check across the joint, should be 0Ω

Difficult to check motors as their windings have very low resistance. They will also have to be disconnected from the ESC before checking.
Again your multimeter needs to register very low resistance! Make sure all three phases read the same and also that there is maximum resistance between the windings and the motor casing, infinity, no shorts.
I think drone motor windings are Delta connected to give them extra power........
Thanks for your reply Cheddarman.
My multimeter has a low resistance setting of 200 ohms; and already soldered the motor wires.
Will let you know what happens.

Make sure you solder the right motor wires onto the right ones on the ESC or the motor will run backwards! Easily changed, just swap over two of the wires.
You should insulate the soldered joints and the best (neatest) way to do this is to put a length low heat-shrink tube over the wire before you solder them then, once soldered slide it over the joint and shrink it in place.

I notice you've also posted on the DJI forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyrvas
Make sure you solder the right motor wires onto the right ones on the ESC or the motor will run backwards! Easily changed, just swap over two of the wires.
You should insulate the soldered joints and the best (neatest) way to do this is to put a length low heat-shrink tube over the wire before you solder them then, once soldered slide it over the joint and shrink it in place.

I notice you've also posted on the DJI forum.
Thanks for the soldering advice; this was my first go at it.
In soldering of wires tutorials the heat-shrink is also advised.

"also posted on the DJI forum" Yes, when there was no response here for awhile, I tried the DJI forum; must not be a popular topic.

Not many people get this involved with their drone! Personally I have always done my own repairs, I am also a retired Electronic Engineer so love tinkering.

Not many people get this involved with their drone! Personally I have always done my own repairs, I am also a retired Electronic Engineer so love tinkering.
EE - if I had known before I started this repair I would have certainly asked for upfront advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.