P3P crashed need some advice about DJI support

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Flew my P3P with 68% on the battery. I was completely unaware of what problems this might cause. It flew for 34 secs and I even got a couple of pictures before it shut down without any warning signs and crashed from about 100 plus feet. The log just stops at that point.

I have contacted DJI and have eventually been told by someone in the Netherlands ( I am in Scotland ) that they want me to send it to them without doing anything to it, which is a pity because I thought I had a chance at fixing it myself. Rather than void warranty I probably will do this. The thing is they said if it was pilot error I would have to pay for the repair and considerable postage myself.

My question is, has anyone here had DJI do a free repair when they had a battery failure or do DJI class this as pilot error for taking off without 100% battery in the first place?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Taking off at 68% battery is not a great idea, but it does not mean your Phantom is destined to crash either. If you upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here, we can take a look and see if it reveals anything.

So the story has a happy ending.
When I tried to download from the phantom I got nothing, it would not communicate.
The dialogue between myself and DJI Europe was ........ Strained.
Although they answered any of my emails promptly the content was not usually satisfying. They did not like answering questions like "if the battery caused the crash will you repair the aircraft free of charge under warranty?"
I have more to gripe about but won't.
They sent me an invoice for the repair which had all the cost discounted, they fixed it for nothing.
I am well chuffed[emoji106]
After some prompting they told me the battery had failed due to old firmware. Eh?
They also told me that as long as my battery ( the one that failed) had its firmware updated it would be OK to use. Not sure about that.
Even so all in all a great outcome.
Thanks DJI.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I was only a couple of updates behind. Anyone know if battery modifications were in the firmware updates?

Thanks D'sAdvanced.
Does anyone pull the firmware apart and find out what the changes mean? If 2 of the last 4 updates have implications to battery management, how do I find out what they were.
I'm just curious, don't have an axe to grind.[emoji846]

Does anyone pull the firmware apart and find out what the changes mean? If 2 of the last 4 updates have implications to battery management, how do I find out what they were.
The Phantom release notes are sometimes vague and don't aways include all of the changes, but it's the only documentation DJI gives us. Other changes are sometimes discovered as people begin to use the new firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers