P3P at 15 below 0

Reaction score
Just took my phantom out for its maiden voyage (first flight) at -15 degrees Fahrenheit. Only was out for 5 minutes but she handled fine. Went up 200 ft.

Goose

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449895014.460267.jpg

Yes, time to acclimatize our drones. ;-)

Please dion't tell me you maidened her without the camera running!
Where is the video or pics? Ha

RedHotPoker

I forgot to record lol rookie mistake. Quick question. Would sitting in a vehicle alter connection?

In your vehicle, Not too much, consider when Flying while engaged with Follow Me.
Try some flights, close to the ground and not too far away. See how it responds to your radio commands. Cold on the hands? You need to buy some decent gloves that have good feeling, like what a water skier wears. ;-) electric gloves are the SH!T. So are hand warmers.

RedHotPoker

Just took my phantom out for its maiden voyage (first flight) at -15 degrees Fahrenheit. Only was out for 5 minutes but she handled fine. Went up 200 ft.

Goose
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the cold. Did several 15 minute flights near Tok recently at -10 and experienced no issues. Waiting for some -40 stuff to test in but so mild this winter.

this is what iv been waiting to hear
I was in two minds flying at low temps
below 0 but now I know it can be done
cheers guys

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the cold. Did several 15 minute flights near Tok recently at -10 and experienced no issues. Waiting for some -40 stuff to test in but so mild this winter.
What do you use for gloves? Keeping my hands warm is the biggest issue I have with temps below freezing.

As an ice fisherman I'm jealous. The weather here has been depressing. Highs in the 40's. I'm moving to Fairbanks!

I was impressed. Looks like I won't have to wait for summer. How's the wind in tok?

Took mine out just past Beluga Point a couple weeks ago when my wife spotted some sheep on the side of the mountain she wanted me to record with my recently purchased P3P. Note: should've kept on driving to intended destination! Got up a few feet and while positioning the craft for a good angle, I noticed it started to drift. Then it lifted and drifted some more. And then some more. I was able to get a snippet of the sheep, but the next few minutes involved me fighting to get the craft back from the Wind Thief! Dropped it down to around 78ft and was able to regain control. Easy to laugh about now, but while it was happening I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to explain it to the insurance company! LOL

SkyPixel

Here is one from last week of me operating from the vehicle:

SkyPixel

Took mine out just past Beluga Point a couple weeks ago when my wife spotted some sheep on the side of the mountain she wanted me to record with my recently purchased P3P. Note: should've kept on driving to intended destination! Got up a few feet and while positioning the craft for a good angle, I noticed it started to drift. Then it lifted and drifted some more. And then some more. I was able to get a snippet of the sheep, but the next few minutes involved me fighting to get the craft back from the Wind Thief! Dropped it down to around 78ft and was able to regain control. Easy to laugh about now, but while it was happening I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to explain it to the insurance company! LOL

SkyPixel

Here is one from last week of me operating from the vehicle:

SkyPixel
Thanks for sharing the videos. Those prop guards might be working against you in the wind. Like how you were able to grab the drone from the car window on the Anchorage one; thats some good control!

What do you use for gloves? Keeping my hands warm is the biggest issue I have with temps below freezing.
Usually not much; my hands do okay without gloves for the time of one Phantom flight. I suppose if there were wind it would be a different stories but my cold flights have been done without any wind.
I was impressed. Looks like I won't have to wait for summer. How's the wind in tok?
Very little wind in Tok, especially in the winter. Fairbanks also gets very little wind.
As an ice fisherman I'm jealous. The weather here has been depressing. Highs in the 40's. I'm moving to Fairbanks!
Yeah the interior of Alaska is one of the few places left that actually gets winter, reliably, every year!
I want to move to Alaska!
Alaska is a wonderful place to fly drones. So much scenic areas to photograph, so many wild areas with no pesky people to complain about drones.

Reactions: Wibble
Thanks for sharing the videos. Those prop guards might be working against you in the wind. Like how you were able to grab the drone from the car window on the Anchorage one; thats some good control!

Usually not much; my hands do okay without gloves for the time of one Phantom flight. I suppose if there were wind it would be a different stories but my cold flights have been done without any wind.

Very little wind in Tok, especially in the winter. Fairbanks also gets very little wind.

Yeah the interior of Alaska is one of the few places left that actually gets winter, reliably, every year!

Alaska is a wonderful place to fly drones. So much scenic areas to photograph, so many wild areas with no pesky people to complain about drones.

I am surrounded by lovely scenery and not any people either. We just happen to be the wettest and windiest part of Britain - 3000 miles of open Atlantic and then the wind funnels between Ireland and Cornwall to hit Wales hard!
I almost moved to Alaska as a kid - father was with BP - but we ended up in the Middle East instead grrrr I hate the heat! I hope to visit maybe next year. I will bring my drone of course!!!

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20