P3A with HDMI Box Goggles Compatability

Reaction score
Please bear with me as I am relatively new at this. I have a P3A and I bought the HDMI box for the transmitter. What goggles will plug in to the HDMI box and work well? I am not trying to break the bank but would like something that is not cheap Chinese crap. Thanks in advance!

Hmm,
I Have a P3P and there's a HDMI port on the TX,
Doesn't the P3A have the same TX ??
I thought that HDMI port put out HDMI??
Yes / no ??

Hmm,
I Have a P3P and there's a HDMI port on the TX,
Doesn't the P3A have the same TX ??
I thought that HDMI port put out HDMI??
Yes / no ??
There is no HDMI out port on the stock P3P TX, nor the P3A TX. You can buy a new board with an HDMI out from DJI for $99 and install it yourself.

There is no HDMI out port on the stock P3P TX, nor the P3A TX. You can buy a new board with an HDMI out from DJI for $99 and install it yourself.

You are correct,
My mistake,
What do I buy and where do I get it ??

You are correct,
My mistake,
What do I buy and where do I get it ??
What device do you have? I have a galaxy S5. I got an HDMI interface for it that plugs into the USB port. It cost about 12 bucks on ebay.

I find that flying with goggles is much better than trying to fly with the tablet especially on bright sunny days. Hoods and shields don't do much to reduce glare etc from the screen. I have the external hdmi board on my RC and then I bought a hdmi to AV convertor from Amazon for about $20 bucks. The hdmi cable powers the convertor and I use a 3s battery to power an older set of FatShark Base goggles. I don't need HD in the goggles for flying. The camera output is still HD and with the goggles you don't wind up looking into the sun or having to worry about the glare on the screen.
YMMV

P3P
Convertor is a "TENDAK"

I'm a bit fuzzy on how this is all supposed to work...I have a P3A.

My understanding is that with a $99 purchase, I can add a module to the rear of my RC which will provide a video signal to goggles. Questions:

1. I presume that the video stream is coming from the aircraft, through the RC, and out of the HDMI on the module (from there, into goggles). So am I correct that you *aren't* seeing the data overlays that the DJI GO software (or other control software) provides? What do you actually see?

2. I've heard that the video that comes from the HDMI can be laggy and only marginally useful for an FPV experience? Can someone comment on this? I imagine flying FPV (with a spotter, of course) is dangerous if there is significant lag between the aircraft's camera and the presentation in the goggles.

3. With the goggles on, (assuming everything is working as expected) you obviously can't see your tablet/smartphone. So all of your control (particularly camera control) is done by touch on the controller?

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer with their P3 (P3A, preferred) experience with FPV goggles. Thank you.
--hblink93

I'm a bit fuzzy on how this is all supposed to work...I have a P3A.

My understanding is that with a $99 purchase, I can add a module to the rear of my RC which will provide a video signal to goggles. Questions:

1. I presume that the video stream is coming from the aircraft, through the RC, and out of the HDMI on the module (from there, into goggles). So am I correct that you *aren't* seeing the data overlays that the DJI GO software (or other control software) provides? What do you actually see?

2. I've heard that the video that comes from the HDMI can be laggy and only marginally useful for an FPV experience? Can someone comment on this? I imagine flying FPV (with a spotter, of course) is dangerous if there is significant lag between the aircraft's camera and the presentation in the goggles.

3. With the goggles on, (assuming everything is working as expected) you obviously can't see your tablet/smartphone. So all of your control (particularly camera control) is done by touch on the controller?

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer with their P3 (P3A, preferred) experience with FPV goggles. Thank you.
--hblink93

I have the same questions. I've used a set of Fatsharks will my brother was flying on of his aircraft's and it a great experience but a time lag could be a serious problem. I've only flown out about a mile using both DJI GO and Litchi and I lose my video signal at about that distance. I've started using the screen on DJI GO that I call flying by map or compass. Then I can track the path flown and with the map overlay I see street names and ground features. Plus the orange colored line always shows me the direct path home. I'm also new to this. I lost a P2V apparently in a lake and I'm now flying a P3A which I love. If I lose this one I guess I'm done. the budget is too tight to keep loosing $1,000 birds.

I have the same questions. I've used a set of Fatsharks will my brother was flying on of his aircraft's and it a great experience but a time lag could be a serious problem. I've only flown out about a mile using both DJI GO and Litchi and I lose my video signal at about that distance. I've started using the screen on DJI GO that I call flying by map or compass. Then I can track the path flown and with the map overlay I see street names and ground features. Plus the orange colored line always shows me the direct path home. I'm also new to this. I lost a P2V apparently in a lake and I'm now flying a P3A which I love. If I lose this one I guess I'm done. the budget is too tight to keep loosing $1,000 birds.

...I'm confused. What is presented on the screen when wearing the Fatsharks? Were the Fatsharks tied into the HDMI output on the controller? Did it matter which software (DJI GO and Litchi) you used?

Any other perspectives? Thank you!

What device do you have? I have a galaxy S5. I got an HDMI interface for it that plugs into the USB port. It cost about 12 bucks on ebay.
I also have a Samsung, an S4 and I could not get the MHL connector to work as a USB connection for the controller. What did you do to get it to work?

You see all the telematics that you need to safely fly. GPS, both signals, battery, distances, height, Az and sign to get drone aligned to home point.

It's the same video that you see on tablet. It comes through HDMI port in 720p. It is an output so you will not be control P3 movements through head movements. I don't see appreciable lags if any.

I use goggles as well tablet at the same time. Tablet view helps to see radar view and maps and gives confidence while flying.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You see all the telematics that you need to safely fly. GPS, both signals, battery, distances, height, Az and sign to get drone aligned to home point.

It's the same video that you see on tablet. It comes through HDMI port in 720p. It is an output so you will not be control P3 movements through head movements. I don't see appreciable lags if any.

I use goggles as well tablet at the same time. Tablet view helps to see radar view and maps and gives confidence while flying.
I tried goggles tonight indoors using Headplay and was quite impressed, after having finally installed my HDMI board. It's tricky finding the right combination of reader strengths for my aging eyes inside the Headplay. Best was 2.5 on top of 2.25, for a 4.75 total, to be able to focus closely enough, using the CostCo readers.

So how does the stability of the HDMI transmitter output compare to that of the Air2 tablet video? When the Air2 FPV gets sketchy or indicates weak signal, does the transmitter HDMi output go out at the same time, or is it more robust and stable at long range? How do you see both at the same time, or do you just take off the Headplay or Fatsharks when you want to see the tablet view?

Source of both the signals is the same so if source gets bad, both displays will be affected. There is other possibility that one of the hardware tablet or goggles goes bad, in that case other will continue to work.

I mostly use Mybud googles, they are very light and I can view my tablet too when looking down to RC.

Even Mybud needs adjustment for the lenses for good view. For me, I use my prescription glasses along with Mybud.

Source of both the signals is the same so if source gets bad, both displays will be affected. There is other possibility that one of the hardware tablet or goggles goes bad, in that case other will continue to work.

I mostly use Mybud googles, they are very light and I can view my tablet too when looking down to RC.

Even Mybud needs adjustment for the lenses for good view. For me, I use my prescription glasses along with Mybud.
Thanks. I'll check out the MyBud goggles, too. Just ordered! Appreciate the recommendation!:cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4