P3A will not hover in one spot..

Reaction score
New guy here.. Thanks for all the good info...
I have been experiencing quite a bit of "wandering" with my p3a.. As soon as I lift off It immediately drifts south for about 20 or 30 feet.. (not sure if this is normal).. I've tried calibrating it every time I turn it on and I even purchased a Dubro balancer to eliminate the possibility of unbalanced props...

It wandered right into a tree today and it took a spill cracking the piece that holds the camera on..

I made the dreaded call to DJI for advice and to my surprise .. A person picked up right away, and they were very nice.. Couldn't be happier with the service.. (spoke with Nathalie)..

I did some thread searches and some people speak of an IMU calibration.. I have not done that yet and not sure what it is or how to do it... I guess I will research and attempt that when I get it back from DJI...

Any thoughts on what else might be causing this thing to drift ?

GB and be safe..

Hello New Member.

Make sure you're not in ATTI mode.
Make sure you have good satellite lock
Do the IMU calibration....make sure it's level when you do

It drifts South no matter which way you have it pointed?
Does it stop drifting after 20 - 30 feet or will it keep drifting if you don't intervene?

PS..thoughts of you using your Phantom to vacuum up leaves came to mind from your title :)
P3A will not Hoover in one spot..

PS PS .... why the reference to George Bush ?

Last edited:
Have you changed props from original DJI props?

1. Make SURE you are in P-GPS mode
  2. Check satellite count
  3. Calibrate compass and make sure no large metal objects in the area
  4. Check that rear LEDs are flashing green before takeoff, and that DJI GO has a green bar at the top reading "Safe to Fly (GPS)"
  5. IMU calibration

Hello New Member.

Make sure you're not in ATTI mode.
Make sure you have good satellite lock
Do the IMU calibration....make sure it's level when you do

It drifts South no matter which way you have it pointed?
Does it stop drifting after 20 - 30 feet or will it keep drifting if you don't intervene?

PS..thoughts of you using your Phantom to vacuum up leaves came to mind from your title :)
P3A will not Hoover in one spot..

PS PS .... why the reference to George Bush ?

LOL... Im at work trying to type quick without the boss knowing its not "work related"..
Yes it would keep drifting if I didn't intervene...
Pretty sure I was not in atti mode and I had 15 satellites...
Its looking more and more like the "IMU" calibration..

1. Make SURE you are in P-GPS mode
  2. Check satellite count
  3. Calibrate compass and make sure no large metal objects in the area
  4. Check that rear LEDs are flashing green before takeoff, and that DJI GO has a green bar at the top reading "Safe to Fly (GPS)"
  5. IMU calibration

looks like #5 might be my culprit based on the consensus... Thanks

Have you changed props from original DJI props?
Yes... I did in fact change the props... But, I replaced them with factory DJI props and balanced them before installation... Still possessed same drifting characteristics ..

The only time I have ever had an issue with the Pro was when I installed some DJI(counterfeit) props. It did the same thing, drifting and not holding a hover.

I also have never had to balance genuine DJI props.

So just so we don't skim over and miss something, the props you installed are DJI OEM factory with the DJI logo and 9450 imprinted on prop?

LOL... Im at work trying to type quick without the boss knowing its not "work related"..
Yes it would keep drifting if I didn't intervene...
Pretty sure I was not in atti mode and I had 15 satellites...
Its looking more and more like the "IMU" calibration..

No worries....knew exactly what you meant :D
Just messin wit da new guy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl