P3A - what frame rate to use?

Reaction score
I see it defaults at 60fps but not sure why someone would turn it down to 24fps? I'm hearing that a lot for a more "cinematic feel.." New to this so could someone explain and offer advice?

You can shoot at either frame rate but the most important thing is to have your shutter speed be twice your frame rate. With 24fps frame rate you will want to use a shutter speed of 50, this is where ND filters come in. Basically an ND filter will allow less light in so you can slow down your shutter speed to be twice the frame rate. If you are going for the cinematic look, use 24 fps, if you want less blur, use the 60fps. Youtube just started supporting 60fps video playback on mobile within the last year and on desktop computers about a year and a half ago. Try it both ways and see for yourself what you like.

I have settled in on 48fps. I find 60fps file size too bulky and a pain to deal with and if THAT'S the case, it's obvious why I didn't go for the P3P 4k! I also find 24fps too little frame rate for aerial, but that's me. There's a number of videos in my playlist below. Depends on what you need and prefer.

I see it defaults at 60fps but not sure why someone would turn it down to 24fps? I'm hearing that a lot for a more "cinematic feel.." New to this so could someone explain and offer advice?
I always use 60fps i tried using 24fps and didnt like i t at all. I do a lot of panning around and i found using 24 fps was very choppy and spoilt my vids even going smoothly and slowly, 60fps didnt give it a natural slighty blurry finish but it was a lot smoother video.

So if I have on an ND filter and am using 60fps, will the shutterspeed automatically be set about approximately double or do I need to set that manually?

You need to go into video settings and set it to manual and adjust shutter speed accordingly. It doesn't have to be exactly double your frame rate, but approximate is best. And you need to have the histogram showing all the time so you really know how your exposure is doing. Without the histogram you can't really know because you're only seeing what your tablet screen is showing you, which could be giving you a false sense of light or dark. You should go into white balance and set that to custom too. It's also been advised to choose dlog as well, although I've been choosing the none setting all along. I may very well try dlog for a while and see how it goes. I've been getting some blown out whites with all the snow in my video lately. Perhaps dlog will help reduce that.

Btw, I most often use the ND 8 filter for afternoon sun and bright cloudy days. You'll need to experiment which filter you prefer for given light conditions during the day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4