P3A TK102 nano and compass issues

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new to all this...be gentle.
Decided that for some extra insurance I would get a tracker for peace of mind and picked up a nano last week.
Unfortunately the mount/holder was out of stock but should be back in and will arrive sometime this week.
Rather than wait, I thought it would be wise to mount it up before flying.
I zip tied it to the legs and drove to my favourite local spot.
I always calibrate before ever flight...this is where my problems began.
I got the intense electromagnetic warning on the app, and after half a dozen failed calibrations, decided not to fly.
I took the nano off the aircraft and moved 1/8 mile to a different place, still the same error. Drove home.
Whilst at home I set up, calibrated ok and had a short test flight in the garden no problem
So went back out again without the nano attached. same issue occurred. The app suggested I calibrate the IMU, which I did..still no go.
When I got home I offered the nano up to the aircraft legs and sure enough the app flashed up saying intense electromagnetic interference again, move it away and it stopped, move it back and it pops up.
I'm confused, can't understand what's going on. If I place the nano on top of the Phantom it seems fine, drop it to the legs and it starts to play up..? Any suggestions would be appreciated. (no I haven't got the magnetic back on the nano before anyone asks!) Is the positioning of the tracker crucial, should I just wait for the specific mount to arrive? Whats going on with my local spot.
To end on, I went out yesterday, no tracker, slightly different spot and no issues..

Welcome.
One of the leg corner has the compass, so never put any extra device too close of it, better on the opposite side.
The 4 antennas for remote control and video are in the vertical part of the legs, but it seems that many people where able to mount tracking device in between the 2 legs (the side without the compass). If you see you loose connection during a flight you can try to make a small rotation of the P3 and that could restore the connection.
On top there is the GPS antenna so it don't look like a nice place to put any electronic device even if it would be the easiest place.
Good flights

2016-07-27 17.32.05.jpg

You are welcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers