P3A Range Test, 17,729'/3.357 Miles, Severe WiFi Congestion

Reaction score
Never shared a flight before, here is my first long distance range test, never really pushed the craft since i got it but the first time today testing the range & got some pretty amazing results. Still had great reception, although had to turn around due to battery life, still ended up landing with a good bit to spare, didn't want to push any further tho.

Flight Log: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Video:

Had channel on custom channel @ 4 MBPS Down link rate, i seem to get best results @ these settings!

Also, i question whether these range boosting kits are really as effective as they are advertised, because if i can get this kind of distance in a severely WiFi congested area, with obstacles @ every turn, what i could get on a clear day in an open area would be extraordinary, the only modification i have is the windsurfer 3d printed version, any input is appreciated!

Just curious, but what is everyone else getting stock, or with a windsurfer, please elaborate on the type of area you are in, being wifi congested or hardly any wifi, obstructions, ext...

Never shared a flight before, here is my first long distance range test, never really pushed the craft since i got it but the first time today testing the range & got some pretty amazing results. Still had great reception, although had to turn around due to battery life, still ended up landing with a good bit to spare, didn't want to push any further tho.

Flight Log: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Video:

Had channel on custom channel @ 4 MBPS Down link rate, i seem to get best results @ these settings!

Also, i question whether these range boosting kits are really as effective as they are advertised, because if i can get this kind of distance in a severely WiFi congested area, with obstacles @ every turn, what i could get on a clear day in an open area would be extraordinary, the only modification i have is the windsurfer 3d printed version, any input is appreciated!
I will Never-Ever have the guts to do a flight like that. AMAZING.

It's easy. Many flights over 15,000 ft. Keeping your RC still is key to long range flights with parabolic wind surfer. Altitude is also your friend.

Last edited:
I will Never-Ever have the guts to do a flight like that. AMAZING.
lol, thank you! I will admit there were a few times I was clenching my teeth, but made it back with no real errors or issues! What part or parts of the flight would turn you down from making the same run yourself?

It's easy. Many flights over 15,000 ft. Keeping your RC still is key to long range flights with parabolic wind surfer. Altitude is also your friend.View attachment 34379
& you have only the wind surfers no antenna mods? I did notice, on a flight today I had to run and grab something & come back to the same spot I was standing with weak signal, where there was full signal before! I was wondering if it was because I moved or coincidence, thank you for the tip!

No Mods, just the one piece wind surfer. Keeps them parallel. I'm looking slightly down valley to the west, so there's usually a tailwind heading home. Long distance flying is fun, once you get past the initial apprehension. 20,000 ft seems to be about the limit without a battery mod. I've logged nearly 450 miles in only 150 flights.

I don't see how one could know there was severe WiFi congestion without a spectrum analyzer. Don't go by what healthy drones says. It's all guesswork.

Maintaining enough altitude is the key to getting distance. I don't want to advocate going higher but RF propagation requires an arc to maintain good signal quality. You might be better off finding an elevated take off point instead of adding too much height to the Phantom.

Safety note: please don't do any distance flying in areas where there may be air traffic.

I don't see how one could know there was severe WiFi congestion without a spectrum analyzer. Don't go by what healthy drones says. It's all guesswork.

Maintaining enough altitude is the key to getting distance. I don't want to advocate going higher but RF propagation requires an arc to maintain good signal quality. You might be better off finding an elevated take off point instead of adding too much height to the Phantom.

Safety note: please don't do any distance flying in areas where there may be air traffic.
I am basically going by how many houses are around me, in today's age everyone has WiFi, i am not in an area where there are many single homes nicely space out, i am in an area where there are row homes back to back & hardly any spacing in between housing, most being row homes, the only separator would be the streets.
What firmware and app are you using as well?
I am on the latest DJI Go app & RC & Copter firmware, i do not know the names off hand, i just know that i am definitely on the latest!

No Mods, just the one piece wind surfer. Keeps them parallel. I'm looking slightly down valley to the west, so there's usually a tailwind heading home. Long distance flying is fun, once you get past the initial apprehension. 20,000 ft seems to be about the limit without a battery mod. I've logged nearly 450 miles in only 150 flights.
Thank you for the tip, it is much appreciated, i took off from a cemetery area the other day, which is actually elevated a good 100 feet from the rest of the county, and seemed to get amazing distance and reception in all directions, i now understand why. I am also using the one piece windsurfer, and notice a tremendous distance increase from stock! I am beginning to question if antenna mods are really necessary, especially when your not planning on getting a battery mod, what do you think? From what i am experiencing, the stock controller will take you just about as far as you can possibly go! I am wondering if anyone has done a range test without any RC mods & only a battery mod & windsurfer!

Thank you for the tip, it is much appreciated, i took off from a cemetery area the other day, which is actually elevated a good 100 feet from the rest of the county, and seemed to get amazing distance and reception in all directions, i now understand why. I am also using the one piece windsurfer, and notice a tremendous distance increase from stock! I am beginning to question if antenna mods are really necessary, especially when your not planning on getting a battery mod, what do you think? From what i am experiencing, the stock controller will take you just about as far as you can possibly go! I am wondering if anyone has done a range test without any RC mods & only a battery mod & windsurfer!
I agree, antenna mods are a complete waste of money. Check out this post:
New record for Stock RC !!! 33,231 ft/10,144m out AND back! | DJI Phantom Forum

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj