P3A/P range and video preview quality

Reaction score
Hi, I am aware this has been asked in various formats before but I could really need an updated advice.
Sold my p2v+ and currently debating whether to put in the extra bucks for a p3p. I reakly have no need for 4k video but I am looking for the best range with the best fpv experience (on a tablet) . Two issues concern me. 1. It has recently been published the p3a preview bitrate is very low at 2mbps. Does this mean you really get lousy video? With my p2v+ I had a hard time following the live video and have no desire to have the same experience. 2. I have read in some places it seems the video range on the p3p is better. So if the combination of those things mean a better, clearer, fpv experience with the p3p I would definitely consider it.

Any advice or comment is appreciated.

Thanks!

Per DJI's specs, the video range is the same. The only difference is the bitrate.

I too considered the P3P over the P3A but opted for the later as one cannot really benefit from the 4K resolution unles you have a playback screen or monitor that is capable of displaying and viewing the higher resolution

I too considered the P3P over the P3A but opted for the later as one cannot really benefit from the 4K resolution unles you have a playback screen or monitor that is capable of displaying and viewing the higher resolution
Angus - what about the video preview quality you're getting? Would you say its completely usable for fpv flying? What ranges do you usually get?

a new fireware update allows the Advances to change their transmission rate. I have the advance and can change my transmission rate. I can go up to 10 mbps but I can not fly as far.

I only got the P3P because there is a significant sharpness boost if you shoot 4K and render it to HD....than if you shoot in HD native. It has to do with pixel averaging and noise reduction. I know it sounds crazy, but real-world, that's the scoop.

I only got the P3P because there is a significant sharpness boost if you shoot 4K and render it to HD....than if you shoot in HD native. It has to do with pixel averaging and noise reduction. I know it sounds crazy, but real-world, that's the scoop.
hmmmmm interesting

a new fireware update allows the Advances to change their transmission rate. I have the advance and can change my transmission rate. I can go up to 10 mbps but I can not fly as far.
While the option is there in the program, the hardware of the advance gimbal only allows like 2mbps no matter what setting it is on. There is a whole thread on this topic.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Angus Macsac
Angus - what about the video preview quality you're getting? Would you say its completely usable for fpv flying? What ranges do you usually get?
That is hard for me to say with fairness as I am viewing preview using an older iPad Mini 1st gen. I would say I get about a 1 second delay, sometimes pixelation for a brief moment the quality otherwise is ok, also please note I am not using primarily for FPV but shooting hi quality video and stills. I don't know that I would fly FPV in tight quarters say if racing at high speed low altitude as you would crash with the lag.
My range tested so far has been up to 1200 feet at about 300 alt. - have yet to test limits of range - only 3 flights to date - nasty weather here for last couple weeks but had no problem with live feed for that flight

Thanks everyone for your answers!
I guess one can look at it from two angles. Maybe the extra bandwidth required for the 10mbit video downlink on the pro means actually a shorter range. However I Get a feeling that although not tested head to head the range is probably longer on the pro? Maybe the TX module is not the same on both models even though that's what's publically been published.

Thanks everyone for your answers!
I guess one can look at it from two angles. Maybe the extra bandwidth required for the 10mbit video downlink on the pro means actually a shorter range. However I Get a feeling that although not tested head to head the range is probably longer on the pro? Maybe the TX module is not the same on both models even though that's what's publically been published.
No the TX module is the same. What's different is the hardware that sends the TX module the picture to be transmitted. This is in the gimbal and the pro version has a dedicated processor to handle the video preview and one to handle the actual recording. The advance has one processor that does both so it can't sacrifice the needed bandwidth to process a higher quality preview to send to the transmitter and still have enough to record.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

P3A latest firmware 1.4.3
Tested transmission rate settings from 2mbs then to 10mbs and there was no difference in the cached video bit rates when viewed using media info, both were recorded at 2000kbs. The live video feed at 2mbs is not very good compared to the Pro at 10 Mbps, fair bit of pixelating and hiccups
I too purchased a P3A over a P3P having made my decision after reading DJI website that the only difference between the two was the 4K camera and that live stream was in glorious 720 at up to 10mbs . That's false and misleading DJI, shame on you.
I know they since changed their website claim

P3A latest firmware 1.4.3
Tested transmission rate settings from 2mbs then to 10mbs and there was no difference in the cached video bit rates when viewed using media info, both were recorded at 2000kbs. The live video feed at 2mbs is not very good compared to the Pro at 10 Mbps, fair bit of pixelating and hiccups
I too purchased a P3A over a P3P having made my decision after reading DJI website that the only difference between the two was the 4K camera and that live stream was in glorious 720 at up to 10mbs . That's false and misleading DJI, shame on you.
I know they since changed their website claim
Here's a short video from the videocache folder showing exactly what was transmitted as live feed to my iPad mini 1st gen and this was when the aircraft was only a few meters from the RC. The cached vid looks the same and mediainfo reads the same bit rate of 2Mbs. regardless of transmission rate setting..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic