P3A firmware upgrade question

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just got my first drone a P3A. DJI app says that the aircraft firmware version is the 1.1.9+ and RC firmware vesrion is the 1.2.6+ so I am going to upgrade to latest (1.4.0010).

I am seeing that in between there are two more versions (1.2.8 and 1.3.20) and DJI site says that v1.4.0010 does not include remote controller update package and recommends users using firmware older than v1.3.20 to update the firmware to v1.3.20 before updating the aircraft.

So my question is how do I upgrade? Step by step i.e. first upgrade both aircraft and RC to 1.2.8 then to 1.3.20 and finally to 1.4.0010 or am I going straight to 1.3.20 and then the aircraft only to 1.4.0010?

Thanks any help in advance.

last part is correct. do a search on the forum there are lots of post explaining how to update in detail once you have done it once its pretty simple.

Thanks quick reply. I have thoroughly read all posts about the upgrade procedure and it's really not a big deal. Just was not sure if I should bypass the 1.2.8 and go straight to 1.3.20 before going to 1.4.0010.

Thanks again.

Thanks quick reply. I have thoroughly read all posts about the upgrade procedure and it's really not a big deal. Just was not sure if I should bypass the 1.2.8 and go straight to 1.3.20 before going to 1.4.0010.
Go straight to 1.4.0010. for the Phantom and 1.3.20 for the controller.

Do some research before you upgrade...I, as many on here, have been having "No Signal" issues where you lose video feed while in flight...you are able to maintain total control of the P3 but have no video feed...sometimes it comes right back and sometimes it doesn't and you have to land...it's actually kind of scary...this came after recent upgrades in firmware which some are stating that DJI says it isn't the app or the firmware but a hardware issue...once you go to 1.4, you can only go back as far as 1.3.2 and I am having video issues on both of those...some people aren't at all so I'm guessing it's just certain units..anyway good luck

Thanks for that. So you suggest to upgrade to 1.2.8 and stay there until a new update will come?
You'll always find someone with an opinion not to upgrade firmware.
But the overwhelming majority of users are having no problems at all with the current firmware or several versions before that.

I just got my P3A about 3 weeks ago and what I did for the 1.4 update I updated the Craft,checked PC,Success,took card out,reinstalled to Craft,took the USB Cable and tied into the RC then to the Craft,turned RC on then Craft.the RC really quickly showing the green go light,shut down and put card back into PC,got a new Text,RC updated Successfully.I've made about 6 flights and everything works perfectly.didn't have to copy or drag any lesser update like the 1.3 just for the RC.it automatically synced in.6 flights,still a newbie and loving the enjoyment of my P3A.oh,Carbon Propellers are the way to go.

Can you update the firmware with the SD card in the Phantom and plug the cable from micro usb port on the phantom to computer ? or do you need to use a USB reader/SD reader on your computer?

I just got my new P3 a few weeks ago and followed a really good video on YouTube for the firmware update. I believe the 1.4 can be loaded directly on
Good luck

Im a new P3P pilot n very happy abt my drone so far. First i upgraded my drone to 1.3 and then all the batteries too. But make sure you turn off the rc before you do that. And then upgrade ur rc to 1.3 which is the furthest it can go. Then upgrade your drone to 1.4 n ur done . I crashed mine two times by trying to fly it indoor ( my stupid mistake n i ws having a heart attack each time [emoji16]) n only my propellers got damaged which i changed. The next day i went to a field to test it ( n my heart ws pounding fast thinking i broke it ) it ws perfect ! Now its been nearly 3 weeks n i never had any signal issues or anything that sort of. The baby is rock solid [emoji4]

Do some research before you upgrade...I, as many on here, have been having "No Signal" issues where you lose video feed while in flight...you are able to maintain total control of the P3 but have no video feed...sometimes it comes right back and sometimes it doesn't and you have to land...it's actually kind of scary...this came after recent upgrades in firmware which some are stating that DJI says it isn't the app or the firmware but a hardware issue...once you go to 1.4, you can only go back as far as 1.3.2 and I am having video issues on both of those...some people aren't at all so I'm guessing it's just certain units..anyway good luck
This is always good advice. It behooves you to know in advance about the issues others are seeing with any new FW, app version, or mobile device. That way you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to also upgrade. If you do upgrade and have similar problems you might know better how to react or next steps to take. It only takes a short time to become familiar at least on a high level, and that short time invested could help save a bad situation.

Chances are however that most people will have no issue even when some others do, so use others experiences as a data point only and don't assume that since a few have an issue that everyone has the issue.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Not telling you not to upgrade, because I can tell you the new features are great but I had some problems with the signal issues...many don't have the problem at all but some do...upgrade and see how it is for you...today I tried doing a factory reset on my Nvidia shield and flew 2 batteries with no problem...I stayed close by because it was very windy but no issues today..will see how it goes when the winds die down....anyway like I said just giving my opinion..there are people with that problem it's on here and on the DJI forums, check it out...I hoping I don't have to send mine in to DJI

Thanks for all replies. I came home and tried to upgrade but so far all my attempts ended to failure. I initially tried to upgrade to v1.3.20 (from v1.1.9 that the app says that is factory installed) but it didn't work. The drone was making this noise (dadada) and leds were blinking for about 20 mins but at the end the camera light turn to red with a constant noise like daaaaaaaaa. Second time I tried to upgrade 1 version up instead of two (v1.2.8) but with same results. I am now into the same process but somewhere I read to use a different battery which I have done. I am waiting to see the results but so far there are no different noises like it should be. Only this dadadada.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Failed again :-((((

here is the TXT file results

Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.02.0008.bin
Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Upgrading ...

Any help will be appreciated

Failed again :-((((

here is the TXT file results

Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

Any help will be appreciated

I just got my p3p last weekend. When I turned everything on, indoors, no props. The Go all told me I needed to update the firmware. I was able to update the firmware for the controller through the app. Then i went from there and updated the firmware for the battery and the p3p. As far as people having issues with the updates, as far as I can tell they are having issues with the updated go app and ios9 not the firmware.
Hope this helps.

I guess when saying reboot means turn off and on again. I have done this 4 times so far

Yes controller off. And always on a clean card

I guess when saying reboot means turn off and on again. I have done this 4 times so far

Yes controller off. And always on a clean card

Another thing, the first time I tried,I got the failed message as well. I was using my moms PC to get the files instead of my mac so I missed a step when unzipping the files. Be sure that you actually unzip the file, at first I was just double clicking the file which made it appear unzipped but it actually was not. Once I right clicked, highlighted and clicked unzip then used that file, everything installed no problem. Oh and make sure you format the card before you put the freshly unzipped file onto it.

Hope that helps.

FINALLY!!!! After three attempts finally the upgrade was successful the fourth time. I don't know what was the problem. Maybe the versions I was trying to install. Here is the complete log file :

Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

Packet: P3S_FW_V01.03.0020.bin
Upgrading ...

Packet: P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

As you can the see the two first attempts were with v.1.2.8 the third was with v1.3.2 and the fourth and successful with the latest 1.04.0010.

The RC I have read that version GL300B (which is mine) is irrelevant which firmware you have. It will always be updated via the app. More info on that here for those who are interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2497034

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1