P3A Firmware Delirious ??

Reaction score
I purchased a P3A (have not flown it yet) and after several hours of reading i'm still extremely concerned about updating the firmware. As it stands right now out of the box App Version is 2.4.3 RC Version is 1.4.30+ Firmware Version is 1.4.10+ Can someone give me their recomendation/experiences on the new update?
I have read so much concerning this update one minute im going for it, the next minute no way. I'm in Ilinois so yes its a cold climate right now (30 degrees F to be exact) but can i get the P3A up into the air for a little flying time with the current Versions listed? I understand the firmware update is for cold weather environments but once again ive read too many people having issues (vibrations, camera not functioning, decreased speed,unscuessfull firmware updates.Etc) Also what does the + at the end of the firmware #s indicate? It being cold outside right now i dont have to fly it so i want to make the best decision for the safest flying when the time comes. Thanks to everyone on this site as well, tons of great info....

Last edited:
Reactions: coyote107
Coyote, I'm a newbi (my first drone) I updated the firmware on the drone, remote and battery. Flown the craft in 18F. Just avoid rapid maneuvers that could put strain on a cold battery and cause it to shut down. Flew my craft for 20 minutes. Oh, I live in central MT

What you have is the previous released FW 1.5, you have a choice to upgrade to the latest 1.6.

My P3P was at the same versions as yours out of the box (I received it last week). I upgraded to the latest firmware before taking it out. I took it out over the weekend and went through two full batteries with no issues. I love it!!

What you have is the previous released FW 1.5, you have a choice to upgrade to the latest 1.6.
This is where my dilema leads me too... Update or not update ??
i'm assuming its ok to fly as it is with this 1.5 Firmware correct?? Surely DJI wouldnt send anything that needed updates before you can even fly right? Thanks for you time..!

The 1.5 still has the battery problem. Updating it is for the best because with the 1.6, it addresses the battery shut down problem that has crashed a lot of P3's

This is where my dilema leads me too... Update or not update ??
i'm assuming its ok to fly as it is with this 1.5 Firmware correct?? Surely DJI wouldnt send anything that needed updates before you can even fly right? Thanks for you time..!
You are right, you can fly with FW 1.5 but FW 1.6 is better as it resolves certain battery issues seen upto FW 1.5.

I purchased a P3A (have not flown it yet) and after several hours of reading i'm still extremely concerned about updating the firmware. As it stands right now out of the box App Version is 2.4.3 RC Version is 1.4.30+ Firmware Version is 1.4.10+ Can someone give me their recomendation/experiences on the new update?
I have read so much concerning this update one minute im going for it, the next minute no way. I'm in Ilinois so yes its a cold climate right now (30 degrees F to be exact) but can i get the P3A up into the air for a little flying time with the current Versions listed? I understand the firmware update is for cold weather environments but once again ive read too many people having issues (vibrations, camera not functioning, decreased speed,unscuessfull firmware updates.Etc) Also what does the + at the end of the firmware #s indicate? It being cold outside right now i dont have to fly it so i want to make the best decision for the safest flying when the time comes. Thanks to everyone on this site as well, tons of great info....
I went to 1.6, from 1.4. Regret it now -- the performance hit with 1.6 is pretty substantial. I fly in a cold climate (Alaska) and have had zero issues on many many flights on 1.4, a lot of them below 0 F. Many have reported the performance hit on 1.6 even in warm weather, so there is little hope of the excellent performance returning when the weather warms for me, unless they further tweak this in future firmwares. My advice is don't do it.

I too was in your shoes a week ago, asked everyone here, read til my eyes bled, now ive updated had 3 flights and wish i had NOT updated. That being said i still would try and update your batteries. After all thats the real downfall of the original1.5.3 battery firmware & the reason they put out 1.6

I too was in your shoes a week ago, asked everyone here, read til my eyes bled, now ive updated had 3 flights and wish i had NOT updated. That being said i still would try and update your batteries. After all thats the real downfall of the original1.5.3 battery firmware & the reason they put out 1.6
I agree, but I don't believe 1.5 updated the batteries. So whatever firmware on batteries replaced in 1.6 had been there since what, 1.4 or even 1.3 ?

I agree, but I don't believe 1.5 updated the batteries. So whatever firmware on batteries replaced in 1.6 had been there since what, 1.4 or even 1.3 ?
There was same battery FW since Sept 7 until release of 1.6.

Dirtybum and Parsnip, Your saying its possible to update just the batteries only to1.6 ?
Well sure -- if you first upgrade to 1.6, cycle your batteries through the update process, then downgrade to 1.5. My understanding is that the batteries will stay updated while the P3 uses the "older" firmware.

i updated everything on mine and flew it this morning and it all was gold.
this worked for me.

Coyote, I'm a newbi (my first drone) I updated the firmware on the drone, remote and battery. Flown the craft in 18F. Just avoid rapid maneuvers that could put strain on a cold battery and cause it to shut down. Flew my craft for 20 minutes. Oh, I live in central MT
Hey Ken, I'm in SW Montana. I am on the 1.3.20 firmware and have never had battery issues in any temp. I think the battery issue was born with the 1.5 firmware. That is why I am staying on the firmware I am at for now. I will let dji get the firmware right before I upgrade again. Happy flying.

Reactions: Ken Hanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20