P3A Crash - Ripped Gimbal - Now What?

Reaction score
Hey all
I'm still new to drones and all - I have a P3A and I was flying it the other day. I saw a bird circle it a few times to I attempted to bring it back to me, however the bird started attacking it, 15 seconds later my P3A lands in a tree, then onto the ground - Camera gimbal ripped right off the body.

There are no signs of damage to the body. I threw the props out straight away and inspected the body. Just dirt and scratch marks on one of the motors (guessing it landed there?) I have a few questions cause I'm super worried that my bird is damaged..

1) I soldered and made my own cables and fixed the gimbal to the point that it works. Although I noticed that when powered off, the camera is tilted 30 degrees.. Is this normal?

2) With the scratches on the body, is it alright to fly again? Like is there a checklist i should go through? Or should I sell it off and get a new drone? (I'm super pedantic about things not dying on me)

3) After cabling the gimbal again, camera works (isn't tilted like when it's off) but I noticed I get less satellite connections now? Maybe it's just where I live but I don't know? Is there a possibility something else is damaged?

4) When I attempted to power in the drone the first time smoke came out of the drone. But that's cause two cables ends from the camera were making contact.. Is this drone still safe to fly or because I shorted something out temporarily, I should invest in a new drone?

Sorry for being really tight arsed about these questions but I don't want to just lose 1k

Thanks guys!

If it flies without can/ gimbal then you can buy new gimbal cam set for about $279.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey all
I'm still new to drones and all - I have a P3A and I was flying it the other day. I saw a bird circle it a few times to I attempted to bring it back to me, however the bird started attacking it, 15 seconds later my P3A lands in a tree, then onto the ground - Camera gimbal ripped right off the body.

There are no signs of damage to the body. I threw the props out straight away and inspected the body. Just dirt and scratch marks on one of the motors (guessing it landed there?) I have a few questions cause I'm super worried that my bird is damaged..

1) I soldered and made my own cables and fixed the gimbal to the point that it works. Although I noticed that when powered off, the camera is tilted 30 degrees.. Is this normal?

2) With the scratches on the body, is it alright to fly again? Like is there a checklist i should go through? Or should I sell it off and get a new drone? (I'm super pedantic about things not dying on me)

3) After cabling the gimbal again, camera works (isn't tilted like when it's off) but I noticed I get less satellite connections now? Maybe it's just where I live but I don't know? Is there a possibility something else is damaged?

4) When I attempted to power in the drone the first time smoke came out of the drone. But that's cause two cables ends from the camera were making contact.. Is this drone still safe to fly or because I shorted something out temporarily, I should invest in a new drone?

Sorry for being really tight arsed about these questions but I don't want to just lose 1k

Thanks guys!
Check out this post in it's entirety, I think you will find it interesting and useful in the future:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/dji-phantom-3-gimbal-repair-kit.48182

Paul

Reactions: Silverwingflinx

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj