P3A behaved oddly this afternoon...

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of you on here would be willing to speculate as to the possible causes for something like this.

I was out flying my Phantom 3 Advanced over a river this afternoon. Brought 2 batteries and had a perfect flight on the first battery. Brought it in for an uneventful landing when it warned the battery was low. Swapped out the battery and decided to move over along the riverfront a few hundred feet to get into a better position to photograph one of the bridges that spans the river. Rather then have to take all the props off and whatnot, I just carried the bird in my hand and the controller in the other to the new location. Once at the new location I recalibrated the compass and started the motors. I immediately noticed that something was sounding "off". It seemed like the motors had a higher pitch then normal. I wasn't convinced of a problem yet, so I took off and immediately the drone started vibrating quite strongly (though I could still control it). I landed it and rebooted everything. Same problem. Checking the motors revealed no signs of damage or debris in them and they all turned without any resistance. I tried moving to a new location and recalibrating the compass, which did nothing. In the end, dismayed, I packed up everything and went home.

As soon as I got home, I tested the drone in my living room. To my delight everything seemed to be fine. The motors sounded normal, and it didn't seem to be vibrating. I brought it out onto the driveway, and took it up a few feet. No vibrations, nothing. It was flying perfectly. :) I ended up getting in a nice full flight around my neighbourhood as the sun was setting.

It seems odd that it would suddenly decide to fix itself without me doing anything, even after repeated reboots failed to do anything when I was by the river. Might it be just a software glitch (v1.7)? (Though I would have thought if that was the case, a reboot would have fixed it.)

Hi - What was the air temp? How did you store the second battery while you were flying with the first battery? Were both batteries fully charged?

Hi - What was the air temp? How did you store the second battery while you were flying with the first battery? Were both batteries fully charged?

Thanks for your reply.

The air temp was around or just under 20 Celsius (about room temp). The second battery was stored in the white cardboard box that the phantom came in, and the box was sitting on a park bench by the river. Both batteries were fully charged that same day. I'll also add that it was a (rare) windless day, so wind was definitely not an issue.

Have you updated the battery firmware, yet?

You should look over the .txt flightlog for anything appearing abnormal.

The motors probably spinning up due to barometer reading pressure at different location....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj