P3A and litchi mission after snow storm

Reaction score
I had fun with this one and this video came out really well I think. It's almost like a ballet. I have never been able to film this well until the phantom and litchi. I am totally hooked!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Boy some really cool angles and very clean POI transitions. Would you mind sharing your mission on the hub? Also, what speed is it played back at? Thanks.

Boy some really cool angles and very clean POI transitions. Would you mind sharing your mission on the hub? Also, what speed is it played back at? Thanks.
Thanks! Speed is 8.5mph. I'll see what I can do about sharing later tonight.

Yes, good video. Nice n smooth. Was the entire flight controlled by the litchie flight plan?
Although I have litchie I've not got the confidence to leave it to do its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, good video. Nice n smooth. Was the entire flight controlled by the litchie flight plan?
Although I have litchie I've not got the confidence to leave it to do its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, that was all litchi. However, a flight like that doesn't work out without careful planning, so the pilot is most definitely involved. I have complete confidence in litchi but I do keep my missions in a comfortable range for me and because it's cold now, shorter fly times. What also impresses me with this video is the image quality. I'm getting a handle on the camera as well as my editor for better quality video and renders. Thanks again for watching!

Yes, that was all litchi. However, a flight like that doesn't work out without careful planning, so the pilot is most definitely involved. I have complete confidence in litchi but I do keep my missions in a comfortable range for me and because it's cold now, shorter fly times. What also impresses me with this video is the image quality. I'm getting a handle on the camera as well as my editor for better quality video and renders. Thanks again for watching!
Funny you mention the quality because I've been sort of unimpressed with my finished products. I don't know if its the rendering or what I'm doing in post but the detail just isn't there. I haven't seen much sun here I. Weeks which undoubtedly doesn't help but still my results are lackluster. I'm shooting with the PSA so were talking 2.7K output to 1080p.

Funny you mention the quality because I've been sort of unimpressed with my finished products. I don't know if its the rendering or what I'm doing in post but the detail just isn't there. I haven't seen much sun here I. Weeks which undoubtedly doesn't help but still my results are lackluster. I'm shooting with the PSA so were talking 2.7K output to 1080p.
Picture quality is always a struggle. It is not easy filming in flight, not to mention we don't get that many camera settings to tweak. The Taco ND filters do help though. They at least get you to a proper shutter speed and ISO. The histogram is a must too. I shot this at 1080 48fps. I shot a previous film at 1080 60fps and it was nothing but problems. Resulting render sucked. Not interested in 2.7k either. I have found 1080p at 48fps is the sweet spot for me.

Well thanks for the info. I have my ND filters and have gotten my shutter speed down where it needs to be but I've been shooting at 24fps because that's pretty much all the advice I've found anywhere. While I like the "cinematic" look it doesn't seem to fit for where I'm at with all of this.

I wonder also if the fact that I'm shooting mostly above 200 ft and at 24fps has something to with it. Maybe I'm just not capturing enough detail.

I think 24fps has it's place with specific slow moving flight and short clips that you edit together for a complete film. But I don't like 24fps for general meandering, longer flights. That's why I prefer 48fps. I don't usually do a full length uncut video like I did with this one, either. Manually flying, I always trim out the crappy moves or dizzying yaws. But with autonomous flight like this one with litchi, every movement is beautiful- nothing to cut. It's like a ballet when I watch it- really amazing. So much potential that I can't wait to film. Also, this was shot at 200' high with one dip to 100' towards the end, and then back up to 200' to finish. I didn't feel comfortable going any lower than 100' with the trees I was flying over. I knew I'd clear them but I prefer to have a comfortable buffer. One piece of advice that I do follow with the phantom camera is to drop the sharpness to -2. That alone lends itself to really nice pixel smear- the cinematic look, which makes the movement more pleasing to the eye.

I just watched your video again and was going to list the transitions I am most curious about but there are too many. I can't seem to get Litchi to hold the POI in frame. I suspect maybe your POI's are less specific and just aren't noticeable if they drift in frame. If you do care to share your mission layout you can do so by opening the Litchi Hub on your computer clicking 'missions', 'open', and then copying and pasting the 'link' here. That's the only way I know how to do it, there may be others. Either way thanks for the tips.

I won't be sharing this one in hub. I have the same settings as anyone in the ios app. I can tell you that the poi's are all framed right and hold well. I have a number of them at different heights and distances and all frame accurately and hold well. I plan on flying another area today and will post the video later tonight. That one I'll make public in hub for a look see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.