p3a and ipad mini 2

Reaction score
if I open google maps at home on wifi and download the map area iam flying in then go to area to fly, will this work. when I fly will I see the drone on the map moving. I don't like the idea of tethering my phone to the ipad
thanks for reading..

It works fine, I always teather my Note 4 to my mini 2.

In fact I literally just walked in from flying the P3 using up 4 batteries while having my mini 2 teathered.

I have a cell version mini 2 but only use sim in the mini 2 when I fly abroad and buy data sim.

Any reason why you don't want to teather with your phone?

I believe if you cache map beforehand on DJI Go it keeps the maps when your out flying without being connected to cell.

Thanks form the reply,iam just trying to get my head round what I need to do when I get my P3A. I have never flown a phantom and new to quadcopters,I have been learning on a Syma x5sc. I just thought that if I was tethering and I lost my internet connection on phone the phantom would crash to the ground.may be just being over the top a bit but when new to the phantom iam frightened it might go out of control and loose it or smash it up..

It works fine, I always teather my Note 4 to my mini 2.

In fact I literally just walked in from flying the P3 using up 4 batteries while having my mini 2 teathered.

I have a cell version mini 2 but only use sim in the mini 2 when I fly abroad and buy data sim.

Any reason why you don't want to teather with your phone?

I believe if you cache map beforehand on DJI Go it keeps the maps when your out flying without being connected to cell.
Have you got and footage from your flights today ?

I do but its just normal flying around lol nothing fancy.

Plus my lil cousin brother was learning how to fly so was teaching him while it was being recorded.

I have had the app crash on me many many times on my note 4 and I can assure you I have never lost control of my P3.

With my ipad mini 2 I have never had the app crash.

Also since you do not have a cell version ipad mini you wont be able to set a new home point if you were to move with your controller from the take off point as non cell versions have no gps.

Also RTH function works a charm and has so far never let me down, just make sure you set a reasonable height for if it were to be ever used or get automatically activated.

I have had situations were I'm a kilometer out and have had the app crash, all I did was press and hold the RTH button and it has always come back.

But if its LOS flying then you will have control wether you have FPV or not.

You will enjoy your P3 just make sure you fly safe and do all the relevent checks before take off.

I do but its just normal flying around lol nothing fancy.

Plus my lil cousin brother was learning how to fly so was teaching him while it was being recorded.

I have had the app crash on me many many times on my note 4 and I can assure you I have never lost control of my P3.

With my ipad mini 2 I have never had the app crash.

Also since you do not have a cell version ipad mini you wont be able to set a new home point if you were to move with your controller from the take off point as non cell versions have no gps.

Also RTH function works a charm and has so far never let me down, just make sure you set a reasonable height for if it were to be ever used or get automatically activated.

I have had situations were I'm a kilometer out and have had the app crash, all I did was press and hold the RTH button and it has always come back.

But if its LOS flying then you will have control wether you have FPV or not.

You will enjoy your P3 just make sure you fly safe and do all the relevent checks before take off.
Good advice cheers..
Sorry for bugging you but what do you mean by setting a reasonable height for the RTH setting, don't you put the phantom on the ground in front of you to set a RTH position, I have had a look at some of your pictures from a good height. Very good by the way. Could the phantom be sent straight up then press the RTH button and it will come back down on its own. Just thinking about sending it up from my back garden to have a look round and take a few pigs then pressing the RTH button to get it home again.thanks form having the time to answer me...

Here is a link to video I took a lil while back

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: lotusteve
Good advice cheers..
Sorry for bugging you but what do you mean by setting a reasonable height for the RTH setting, don't you put the phantom on the ground in front of you to set a RTH position, I have had a look at some of your pictures from a good height. Very good by the way. Could the phantom be sent straight up then press the RTH button and it will come back down on its own. Just thinking about sending it up from my back garden to have a look round and take a few pigs then pressing the RTH button to get it home again.thanks form having the time to answer me...

RTH is a failsafe for if you ever lose connection from your controller with the P3 or your flying a distance and you lose FPV (camera feed on your tablet and you lose your bearings i.e which way the bird is facing for you to fly back using only the map).

RTH height is a preset height which you have to set in the app so when the failsafe kicks in or is manually activated by yourself from the app or the H button on the controller.

Mine is set at 150 meters.
Basically if I'm flying at a distance or out of LOS (Line of Sight, P3 out of sight) and I lose RC (controller) connection at say 50 meters height for more then 3 seconds and there are obstacles/buildings/cranes/etc that may be as high as 60 meters on a straight line back to my standing point/home point then the bird will first go up to 150 meters in height and then make ways back to to Home point.

Setting the correct RTH height is a key factor and should always be a pre-flight check.

Yes home point is set at where you take off from, you will see in the app it will say 'Home point set' and a 'H' pop up where you are standing on the map.

I have had situations where I have lost FPV but still have full control of the P3 and just used the map to come back home (mainly night time flying lol)

Give me a little while and I will take a screen recording and put it up for you so you see what I'm talking about.

I also see your a fellow Brit and welcome you to the forum, this is a great forum and the knowledge and help that can be gained from some members is immense.

The screen recording will be from my note 4 as I dont have an app to record the screen of my ipad mini2.

Here is a link to video I took a lil while back

That's absolutely fantastic, how long had you been flying to get to that type of standard ?.did you do that flight all by FPV. I will be so scared to take mine to that sort of height.what type of flights do you suggest to get my confidence up at first. Do you ever lose all your GPS locks.yep jam a Brit and live in Sheffield. There is plenty of moors and open land to fly on for my first flights. But I wanted to get a feel for it in my back garden.jam into motor sport and doing track days in my Lotus Elise as well, so when I get the hang of the p3 I want to do a bit of filming over a race circuit.

Here you go.

Don't know why the recording came out small.

First initial home set 'H' is from using the P3's GPS lock.

Then you can see I have to turn my Note 4's GPS on when I try to set the Home to my position not the P3's (traingle being P3 and human figure being my position i.e where the controller is), first time it does not let me and I have to turn the phones GPS on, however everytime the motors are started it does set your Home position (using your phones/tablets GPS or the P3's GPS if you don't have GPS enabled device tablet/phone)

That's absolutely fantastic, how long had you been flying to get to that type of standard ?.did you do that flight all by FPV. I will be so scared to take mine to that sort of height.what type of flights do you suggest to get my confidence up at first. Do you ever lose all your GPS locks.yep jam a Brit and live in Sheffield. There is plenty of moors and open land to fly on for my first flights. But I wanted to get a feel for it in my back garden.jam into motor sport and doing track days in my Lotus Elise as well, so when I get the hang of the p3 I want to do a bit of filming over a race circuit.

Took me a few flights, I'd say about 2-3 weeks flying but best not to be over confident as anything can go wrong with electronics.

That was my first time flying over water, I switch the VPS (vision positioning system) off when I fly over water or do low level flying over water.

I practised in an open field/park, still practising when I get time, trying to get upto scratch/bearing on ATTI mode (thats something else you will have to read up on but at a later stage and would not advise just right now).

Keep the beginner mode on and when your more confident fly switching it off.

I have never had GPS go off but if it ever did it would switch over to P-ATTI from P-GPS still holds height using barometer but so far never happened and I have had the P3 for about 2 months and a bit.

I personally would advise using a device with GPS built in.

I had started using my Note 4 (android) but the app kept bugging out at times and for the past 2 weeks I have switched over to a ipad mini 2 wifi and cell and have not had a single problem with the app bugging out or crashing.

Believe me when I say this you will love the P3.

Last edited:
nice one.. thanks for the video, I watched it 4 times now.. lol... did you do that small vid using FPV or looking at the phantom ?. why when you hit the RTH button did it not go to 150m then come down. I cant thankyou enough for the chat we have just had its been very very helpful. keep intouch please...steve.

nice one.. thanks for the video, I watched it 4 times now.. lol... did you do that small vid using FPV or looking at the phantom ?. why when you hit the RTH button did it not go to 150m then come down. I cant thankyou enough for the chat we have just had its been very very helpful. keep intouch please...steve.

Lol I did not hit RTH I landed it myself.

I just took the video to show you the Home point setting and how to set the height.

If you see properly you can see there are 3 options for failsafe.

RTH - Return to home
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will come back to 'Home' point)

Landing
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will 'Land' wherever it is and not come home)

Hover
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will just hover wherever it is and not come home)

Remember faulsafe mode can be activared 4 ways.

Manually via the DJI GO app by clicking 'H' icon.

Manually by via the controller by holding down the 'H' button.

Automatically if the connection between the controller and P3 has been interrupted fornlonger then 3 seconds.

Automatically if the controller battery dies/or you switch off the controller.

You can cancel RTH by pressing the 'H' button on the controller or app.

You will see the 'X' show up on the app when RTH has been initiated.

The recording is FPV Note 4 screen but since the P3 was next to me I took off looking at the P3 and not the screen.

Steve here to help buddy, there are a lot of helpful members on here and will help.

If you need any help then just PM me.

Del

Last edited:
Here you go

Attachments

• 1442084779733.jpg
    1442084779733.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 280
Lol I did not hit RTH I landed it myself.

I just took the video to show you the Home point setting and how to set the height.

If you see properly you can see there are 3 options for failsafe.

RTH - Return to home
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will come back to 'Home' point)

Land
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will 'Land' wherever it is and not come home)

Hover
(If this option is set as failsafe then the P3 will just hover wherever it is and not come home)

The recording is FPV Note 4 screen but since the P3 was next to me I took off looking at the P3 and not the screen.

Steve here to help buddy, there are a lot of helpful members on here and will help.

If you need any help then just PM me.

Del
ah ok got it now.. lol..cant wait to get mine and have a go. if you post anymore vids please send me the link.. steve.

Here you go
thanks Del..think I need to study all the settings before I go on my first flight. I can see what you mean now with the failsafe options.

No worries.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Will let you know about more vids or if you check back on my youtube profile.

Fly safe and enjoy the P3

No worries.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Will let you know about more vids or if you check back on my youtube profile.

Fly safe and enjoy the P3
whats your youtube profile Del ?

GODFATHERPOM

The video I uploaded on on here if you go through to my profile you can see 2 or 3 other videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.