P3 Water Crash - No Success at Restarting Yet

Reaction score
So I am not as lucky as some of the other posters that have had success drying out a Phantom swimmer.

A week ago I clipped a tree while flying over an inlet near my house (P3 seemed to drift to the outside of a RH turn) and I watched my P3 take a dive into the water. I jumped in a kayak and had it out of the water within 10 minutes. I took out the battery immediately and within 24 hours had it completely disassembled (I first had to purchase a micro electronics screw driver set – we should all have these on hand!). The battery is obviously toast...it won't shut down after a week! I disassembled and then buried the camera/gymbal in rice for a few days, dried and wiped all the other parts – some with 97% alcohol, and unclipped all the wiring harnesses and dried everything with a hair dryer periodically for several days. After 7 days of patience, today I tried to start up my drone and…nothing!

I am not sure what to do now. It appears like brand new inside – all is clean and shiny and in order. Likely a circuit board component has shorted and I do not have the skills to test all of the circuits to determine which board or element is compromised. Perhaps I will wait another 7 days and see if anything changes…but my hope is withering.

Any advice anyone?

To add insult to my injury – I just received a $200 order of parts and accessories for the P3 – I now won’t be needing these along with my brand new remote control, 2 extra batteries, extra props and backpack that are still as good as new.

I would check with "hunch'
He is on here a lot and has experience with this sort of problem. His shop is in Minnesota.

Reactions: Larry L
" unclipped all the wiring harnesses"

Did you go back and recheck all of those harnesses? It's pretty easy not to make contact. The 'right' conductor failing to make contact can make for an awfully quiet Phantom. Failing that and perhaps another disassembly / re assembly afternoon, sending it off to a non DJI repair facility makes sense.

rice will adsorb humidity, its just not very good at it. Even cat litter would be better. If you want the 'full story':
Putting your wet phone in rice probably won’t save it. But do it anyway

That said, after 7 days, it will be as dry as it ever will. Not sure what to tell the OP, but the fact it does nothing, would make me slightly optimistic its something trivial, like a lose battery connector.

Reactions: mikesmiley
By the way, now they're saying the rice thing is a myth.

Truth!

Rice is just not a good desiccant. There are much better things to use. Silica gel is one.

Amazon.com: ACTIVA Silica Gel for Flower Drying 5 Pound

Calcium chloride dihydrate is another.

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50...e=UTF8&qid=1467655877&sr=8-1&keywords=DampRid

That being said, unless you're working in a sauna or steam room, and fan will dry your parts more quickly than any desiccant,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31