P3 standard range - questions

Reaction score
So, noob here...still haven't flown my P3 standard outside of 'beginner' mode! Yikes! This gal is being uber cautious with her flying camera !

So, apparently the P3 standard has a range of 1/2 km high and 1 /2 km from the home point. Is that correct?

And, do you get a warning when you are at the drone's range limit or can you fly beyond and then get your hands slapped when the drone won't be able to fly all the way back home to Mama?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Per the P3S specs, the maximum remote controller range is 1,000 meters (FCC) or 500 meters (CE). If you fly beyond the max range, the remote controller signal will disconnect and your Phantom will return to the home point as long as it has a good GPS connection. The video (downlink) usually disconnects before the remote controller, so you'll see the video start to cut out on your mobile device when you're near the max range. That's the only warning you'll see though.

So, noob here...still haven't flown my P3 standard outside of 'beginner' mode! Yikes! This gal is being uber cautious with her flying camera !

So, apparently the P3 standard has a range of 1/2 km high and 1 /2 km from the home point. Is that correct?

And, do you get a warning when you are at the drone's range limit or can you fly beyond and then get your hands slapped when the drone won't be able to fly all the way back home to Mama?

No ... the range isn't a hard limit.
It's just what you can expect in good average conditions.
With interference in an urban area it might be less and over the ocean it will be more.

My P3 4K (also Wifi) can hit about 1000m before the fpv/transmitter starts to lose connection. This is in an urban environment at around 80m elevation. Granted, I have yet to attempt a long-range flight in a "rural" area that's free from heavy interference. The $15 parabolic range extenders seem to help gain an extra 200-300m if used correctly. I would imagine the P3S could easily hit 1000m+ over a large body of water, or out in flat farmland.

Just so you know, you did post this thread in the wrong forum. You appear to be good with the help you received which is great. But had this been in the Phantom Standard forum, other members with the same aircraft may have also benefited by the info. The forum listings shown below should be visible on the toolbar at the top of the page. Btw, you are not the 1st to make the misstake.

Pro/Adv Discussion

Standard/4k Discussion
Phantom 3 Help
P3 Firmware Development

When you get around to deselecting beginner mode you will see that the range and height limits change, but not to ridiculous distances.
If you initially keep those limits, when you get there with your Phantom you will get a verbal warning of maximum altitude/distance reached. Phantom will then stop at that point and you can't fly further.
You can if you wish now set a further distance or height on your phone/tablet screen, if the distance you set exceeds the local rules..CE/FCC then you get a visual warning onscreen but you will be allowed to set and fly to those limits that you set.
The Phantom does not return to home automatically when you have reached user changeable limits, it only returns automatically if it loses the signal from the remote control.
I have flown my P3S to 500m away and 250m high. It's not easy to spot it with the naked eye. You will need to learn to use the map part of the Go app to give you an idea of birdie placement and orientation when flying a long way away.
By the way, of you are recording video as you fly and you lose connection with your phone, the video will carry on being recorded.

When you get around to deselecting beginner mode you will see that the range and height limits change, but not to ridiculous distances.
If you initially keep those limits, when you get there with your Phantom you will get a verbal warning of maximum altitude/distance reached. Phantom will then stop at that point and you can't fly further.
You can if you wish now set a further distance or height on your phone/tablet screen, if the distance you set exceeds the local rules..CE/FCC then you get a visual warning onscreen but you will be allowed to set and fly to those limits that you set.
The Phantom does not return to home automatically when you have reached user changeable limits, it only returns automatically if it loses the signal from the remote control.
I have flown my P3S to 500m away and 250m high. It's not easy to spot it with the naked eye. You will need to learn to use the map part of the Go app to give you an idea of birdie placement and orientation when flying a long way away.
By the way, of you are recording video as you fly and you lose connection with your phone, the video will carry on being recorded.
You get no visual warning if you exceed CE/FCC (local rules) , not sure what your referencing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

IMG_1096.PNG
When you set a distance further than the CE rule, Dji Go flags up a warning you that you are setting a higher limit. Personally I think that is a pretty visual warning.

View attachment 67632 When you set a distance further than the CE rule, Dji Go flags up a warning you that you are setting a higher limit. Personally I think that is a pretty visual warning.
I'm in the States with FCC rules and have my set higher than 122 meters, it's at 150. Never have seen this notice before. Maybe it's with IOS (I have Android) or only when in a CE area?

I am on IOS and CE area, so maybe you're right, or we both are.
You would think Dji Go would have a common interface across platforms but I don't think that is the case.
First time I saw that warning pop up I was hovering around 1600ft away and thought I would have a tinker with the range limit, nearly wet myself. You start looking over your shoulder to see who has spotted you breaking the rules a smidge.

I'm in the States with FCC rules and have my set higher than 122 meters, it's at 150. Never have seen this notice before. Maybe it's with IOS (I have Android) or only when in a CE area?

As the PopUp says, this 400ft limit is a FCC rule and only applies to the US. In Europe (at least in germany) there is a 2500ft (762m) limit in height. That Airspace is called "class g" and is uncontrolled. Theoretically you could get your Phantom up to 762m in germany.

Actually the popup only uses the FCC rule as an example, we are supposed to know our own local rules.
In the uk you are supposed to be in visual contact with the drone and under 400ft (oops) I wasn't able to spot mine at 500m range and 250m up, so I would have no chance at theoretical limits.

Actually the popup only uses the FCC rule as an example, we are supposed to know our own local rules.
In the uk you are supposed to be in visual contact with the drone and under 400ft (oops) I wasn't able to spot mine at 500m range and 250m up, so I would have no chance at theoretical limits.
Here in the States I believe we're needing to be in LOS also. The other day I was at 2500 meters, damm that white dot in the sky was small. lol

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

i do understand all the guys using Litchi sending their birds off on a 500 mile mission, but I like to see or at least convince myself that I can see what I am doing. As for judging distances, not a chance. You think you have gone miles and miles and it only takes 50 seconds to return home.

I've had mine 4 days and on the 3rd day took it of beginner mode, its like adding a turbo boost, I've now ordered prop guards lol

You'll find if you go straight up in beginner mode it will tell you maximum altitude reached same for distance.

I'm familiar with the warnings in beginner mode which was what made me wonder if other modes had them too.

So, out of beginner mode, I take it, the speeds increase, is that right? As soon as it stops raining here I will start to experiment more with other modes.

I'm familiar with the warnings in beginner mode which was what made me wonder if other modes had them too.

So, out of beginner mode, I take it, the speeds increase, is that right? As soon as it stops raining here I will start to experiment more with other modes.

Yep and more responsive turning

Reactions: Kai Mele

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31