P3 SE take off issues

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am hoping someone will be able to help with my issue.

I have tried searching for various terms which describe the issue I am having, such as;

Phantom 3 won’t take off
... extract take off
... negative altitude on take off

But I can’t seem to find any information with the same problem

I have calibrated the compass, calibrated the controller, reset the IMU settings and I still have the same issues - the drone is very erratic on take off, it essentially doesn’t take off and sort of hops about, and the altitude on the display goes negative.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube which I hope will be helpful to better show what I am trying to describe

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks so much!

I've never seen that particular issue. My only guess is a bad barometer. But even that seems counter intuitive. If the unit "thinks" its descending (thus the negative altitude) it should try to climb to compensate. The barometer helps stabilize altitude whether in PGPS or ATTI mode so selecting either mode likely won't make any difference. Odd that it won't actually lift off... Motors sound normal, but the AC seems to be fighting vertical movement. Very weird..

Hi there. Thanks for a lot for taking the time to reply! It is really unusual and Probably explains why I haven’t been able to find anything online with this issue. I will do some research now about the barometer and hopefully find something

Reactions: 3rdof5
Hi there. Thanks for a lot for taking the time to reply! It is really unusual and Probably explains why I haven’t been able to find anything online with this issue. I will do some research now about the barometer and hopefully find something
Good luck, the only other advice I can offer is to make sure when you calibrate the remote is you also finish up with the camera pitch wheel calibration, the calibration won't succesfully finish and save unless you complete that step as well. Maybe thats the issue.

Did ya had a look to the barometer yet?
The baro is collecting the air pressure on the actual altitude and send that via IMU to the main processor.

Good luck, the only other advice I can offer is to make sure when you calibrate the remote is you also finish up with the camera pitch wheel calibration, the calibration won't succesfully finish and save unless you complete that step as well. Maybe thats the issue.

Thanks - yeah when I went through the controller calibration I wasn’t able to press finish until I had done the camera pitch wheel ?

Did ya had a look to the barometer yet?
The baro is collecting the air pressure on the actual altitude and send that via IMU to the main processor.
Of sorts... truth be told I’m not really sure what I should be looking for to be honest - feeling abit stuck really!

I’ve just uploaded a slow motion video to YouTube of attempted take off to see if there are any discrepancies in the motors etc, and I’ve annotated the video where I think there maybe issues. At the end of the video the drone flips/falls over :cry:

Have you ever tried to start the drone by hand? So you pick up on the landing gear and take off? Do you notice any buoyancy there? The buoyancy is quite strong if everything is OK, otherwise try out other propellers. Seems too little buoyancy! ?? Just an idea!
Translated with Google translator (German / English).

Rear left motor looks like too slow. Did you check that motor yet? Has it been dusted or sanded ? Is that motor rotating freely?

Rear left motor looks like too slow. Did you check that motor yet? Has it been dusted or sanded ? Is that motor rotating freely?
Hi Peter

What do you mean by dusted or sanded? I have watched the slow motion video back and I think only one of the motors seems to be good

All you can see in your video's is optical illusions:
And sorry, I don't have an answer for your problem other than send it for repair.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.