P3 range decreased since 1.4.0010 update.

Reaction score
So I know a lot of you don't push the range limits on your P3s but that's one of the things I really enjoy. My phantom ran faultlessly up to 4 miles out before I did the latest DJI 1.4.0010 update alone with the iOS 9.1 apple update. Now I'm lucky if I can get close to thee miles. Has anyone else had this problem and reverted back to 1.3.20?

I'm not saying it's the DJI update, it could well be the apple one but I'm wondering if anyone has gone back to the old firmware and if it has had positive results?

Can you just imagine that DJI may cut range and Lightbridge and video quality just so there new models look even better when they hit the market.

So I know a lot of you don't push the range limits on your P3s but that's one of the things I really enjoy. My phantom ran faultlessly up to 4 miles out before I did the latest DJI 1.4.0010 update alone with the iOS 9.1 apple update. Now I'm lucky if I can get close to thee miles. Has anyone else had this problem and reverted back to 1.3.20?

I'm not saying it's the DJI update, it could well be the apple one but I'm wondering if anyone has gone back to the old firmware and if it has had positive results?
Could be a range of factors affecting this. Did you fly from the same spot you got 4 miles from before? Also have you tried a new open location?

Flew today on the 1.4 update. 5,444 feet (1.03 miles) but I never tried to fly more then that before

Last edited:
Before the 1.4.0010 update I flew over 20k' a few times with no issue - max was 21,239'. After the update with the same windsurfer I wasn't able to quite get 16k' but made it over 20k' using a better one (all aluminum from Taco-RC). These comparison flights were done at the same place, same weather/wind conditions.

So I agree that it's worse. In another thread I read that is is being reduced in each successive update. Too many people bragging about super long distance flights.

Before the 1.4.0010 update I flew over 20k' a few times with no issue - max was 21,239'. After the update with the same windsurfer I wasn't able to quite get 16k' but made it over 20k' using a better one (all aluminum from Taco-RC). These comparison flights were done at the same place, same weather/wind conditions.

So I agree that it's worse. In another thread I read that is is being reduced in each successive update. Too many people bragging about super long distance flights.

Being from Australia, when I first read this I thought you meant km's :) I thought 'that's impressive'.

Reactions: Itay
To each every software upgrade they reduce the range.I believe those bastards reduce the RF power output of the radio to every sw upgrade.When i bought the P3P and took it out of the box i was able to fly 6KM with everything stock.Now with all the software upgrades i can only fly 3,5 KM and with the DBS itelite antenna.

Last edited:
Yes that's what I thought. I fly from exactly the same spot each flight - I enjoy pushing the distance but it's been considerably consistently reduced sine the last update. Question is: is there anything we can do in the settings to increase the range?

I have just purchased this. I currently use the 3d printed version. Looking forward to comparing the solid aluminium one

Antenna Booster Analysis | DJI Phantom Forum

This was a interesting post on decreasing the distance is if they added more information on it.
Can it be that they added more information, especially is you're on a advanced?
Thinking of the low bit transfer rate of the video compared to the professional.

Which should mean the advanced has a better range than the pro

Same lightbridge but apparently more data on the pro so less range.

My range has never decreased. But I have good days and bad days out there. There's way too many environmental factors to be able to pin point the exact reason for the occasional decrease in range. But Dji has not done anything to decrease the range. Too many paranoid people around !!

Getting the same range as before. 5k feet in downtown LA. I lose control but my video feed is full bars. I think it has to do with my "poor radio quality" issue I've been trying to diagnose

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj