P3 props... prone to stripping??

Reaction score
Having had a P2V+ with metal inserts in the props to attach to the motor shaft I have concerns about the P3 props being all plastic. Is there any chance of stripping the internal prop threads or throwing a prop after repeated tightening/untightening? I don't crank them down especially hard- hand tighten- but they seem to not totally lock like the P2V+. If these get stripped even just a little bit you can't really tell. I'd hate to find that out while in the air.

Thoughts??

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I have had no issue with the stock props other then the off balance ones. I just switched to some carbon fiber props with metal inserts. After balancing the new CF props I found the stock DJI one 's way off balance. This could be the reason for the jello videos some people have posted about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deerstalker
Since the hubs are plastic, it would certainly be possible to strip the threads. I hand tighten mine after winding them on. After tightened, they feel as sturdy as my P2V+ props.

Last edited:
I've put on a removed my props on the p3 easily 100 times already. Not a single issue. Hand tighten also

I have had no issue with the stock props other then the off balance ones. I just switched to some carbon fiber props with metal inserts. After balancing the new CF props I found the stock DJI one 's way off balance. This could be the reason for the jello videos some people have posted about.
The jello from most ppl have nothing to do with props or vibrations, its the gimbal itself. Some P3 gimbals are lemons just like with the H3-3D

Good to know, but I did notice a big change from unbalanced to balanced props.
I tested several props, balanced and unbalanced but the changes are minimal. Props can of course add vibrations but the real major problem is the gimbal itself. It produces pulsating vibrations and that without turning on the motors!

..... but the real major problem is the gimbal itself. It produces pulsating vibrations and that without turning on the motors!

thats bad. any fix?

I SUSPECT that the new design has something to do with the dynamic breaking. Maybe having threads in the props which are more flexible i.e. nylon/plastic will cause better grip? As far as using P2V props, I've heard it's not advised because of the more powerful motors AND the dynamic breaking. Your question triggered the memory of those comments and my theory.

I have visually compare them together and have a hard time to see the difference...
Having 2 original sets for P3 I will use them only but was just wondering..

Best way to balance is with a good prop balancer. Du-Bro 499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer is what I used on the CF props and stock DJI. I did have to 3d print an adaptor for the balancer shaft. Worked great. Seems to hold a much more steady line of flight now. I like how the CF props perform.

Does anybody sell balanced props? To those who notice a difference - what difference exactly? I can't really see how the video from p3p could be even better.

what difference exactly?
The gimbal does a pretty good job at covering up small imperfections, so most people will probably never notice if their props are a bit off balance. With balanced props, your Phantom will fly more efficiently. That could mean a longer flight time, smoother movements, more stable hovering, etc. It's the same reason people balance wheels on cars -- all in the name of efficiency.

^ Understood, and thanks for the explanation - makes sense. Did you experience a change in flight time efficiency or did the phantom drift less or anything?

The jello from most ppl have nothing to do with props or vibrations, its the gimbal itself. Some P3 gimbals are lemons just like with the H3-3D

Well the Jello is caused by motion and the rolling shutter in the camera. You can minimize the effect with your shutter speed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik