P3 pro at the beach HELP

Reaction score
hey all, so I recently got a p3 pro after having a p2. I want to fly at a beach in Sarasota this evening, and have some questions. I'm nervous to fly at the beach because of bad stories I've heard of flyaways and seagulls. Especially the compass. I'm 80 miles from my calibration point. Should I calibrate here and will there be any problems if I do? Really nervous to fly at the beach, but want some good shots. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm nervous to fly at the beach because of bad stories I've heard of flyaways and seagulls. Especially the compass. I'm 80 miles from my calibration point. Should I calibrate here and will there be any problems if I do? Really nervous to fly at the beach, but want some good shots.
I've heard all the "bad stories" and haven't noticed any suggesting that flying at the beach is likely to cause a problem.
Your Phantom has as much chance of flying away (almost zero) at the beach as anywhere else.
I can't think of any compass issues your are likely to encounter at the beach either.
There's probably no need to recalibrate the compass but if it makes you feel good, you can.
Just make sure you don't do it anywhere near cars, structural steel, electric cables and (most of all) reinforced concrete.

There's no need to be any more nervous flying over water than back home.
The Phantom is a flying machine and doesn't care what is below it.
SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

I've flown 400 miles away from home without a compass recalibration , as long as you have a good one to start with you should be fine. Flying over water can be nerve racking at first but typically you actually get better signal than over land , good luck and enjoy...

Just flew my P3Pro down the shore for the first time today in Brigantine NJ. Did a fly over the back bay at 300ft with great pics. Next will be at the beach. I plan to launch from the street where there is no sand, fly over the dunes down and above the ocean and then land back on the street. It's my plan for keeping sand away from the motors.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You guys were lucky not to encounter any people with negative remarks

If you're going to take off from the beach itself, I suggest bringing a small towel or blanket you can lay out to launch from; it helps prevent sand from blowing around the craft and getting into the gimbal or the camera, and also gives you something to aim for when landing.

I've heard all the "bad stories" and haven't noticed any suggesting that flying at the beach is likely to cause a problem.
Your Phantom has as much chance of flying away (almost zero) at the beach as anywhere else.
I can't think of any compass issues your are likely to encounter at the beach either.
There's probably no need to recalibrate the compass but if it makes you feel good, you can.
Just make sure you don't do it anywhere near cars, structural steel, electric cables and (most of all) reinforced concrete.

There's no need to be any more nervous flying over water than back home.
The Phantom is a flying machine and doesn't care what is below it.
SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Make sure you do not take off or land over sand that could blow around into camera or motors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31