P3 Orientation (Course lock) for City block?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but I'm a newb, so I have an excuse :) I'm pretty new here and to Drones in general. I have only flown a few times and always have to be directly behind my drone in order to feel comfortable and control it accordingly. Last month I purchased a P3 Pro and had a P2 Vision+ prior to this for only a few months and was only able to fly it a few times due to weather.

A good friend of mine who's getting married on Friday asked if I could film he and his bride walking into the hall on Friday. I'm not a pro but I told him yes since it should only be a few minutes of footage.

Of course, I want to play it safe so I came here to ask my fellow pilots their thoughts. As I mentioned I have no control over orientation yet but I want the shots to come out good so was thinking of using IOC Course lock. This will be taking place on a city block with a decent amount of space. The reason I'd like to use CL is so I can get shots from different angles without losing orientation. Of course I will be practicing prior to the wedding day but wanted too hear your thoughts on whether or not CL would be useful for this location as we don't have much space.

I've included a picture of the block/hall for you guys & gals to have a better understanding of the scenery.

Thank you in advance.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.12.44 AM.png

Sorry, the red arrow is showing where they should be pulling up in the car.

Personally I would just free fly and rotate for shots. If you don't feel safe then course lock going up and down that street on the left would be an option... But if iOC iss what you are banking on then you miss the other street entirely unless you know how to go back to free flight quickly... Which would beg the question why not just do free flight in that "v" apex axis from the get go during your practice runs so that it feels comfortable panning around that corner. You'd be ready for anything then.

Personally I would just free fly and rotate for shots. If you don't feel safe then course lock going up and down that street on the left would be an option... But if iOC iss what you are banking on then you miss the other street entirely unless you know how to go back to free flight quickly... Which would beg the question why not just do free flight in that "v" apex axis from the get go during your practice runs so that it feels comfortable panning around that corner. You'd be ready for anything then.

Bryce,

You do have a great point, thank you. So if I use IOC Course lock I'll be SOL if the bridge/groom turns the corner is what you're saying since CL is just a straight line right?

I would free fly however I'm just worried about the angles since usually I'd have to stand directy behind the drone while flying and unable/worried to turn it left/right in flight to prevent loss of orientation.

Do you guys think I'll have any issues with the over head residential power lines here?

Rule1. Nothing at wedding goes as planned. Be flexible
Rule 2. Something or someone will go crazy. Be ready
Rule 3. You will not enjoy wedding if you are responsible for photographing any part of it. Pressure not worth the one shot.
My advise: Decline and enjoy the day. Too many things can and will go wrong for 10 second shot of car to door shot.
Rule 4. You will be blamed for them being late no matter what you do.
Offer to film them at park or beach etc. before or after wedding day. Be a hero then.
Less Stress equals Better Footage.
Just things to think about.

Rule1. Nothing at wedding goes as planned. Be flexible
Rule 2. Something or someone will go crazy. Be ready
Rule 3. You will not enjoy wedding if you are responsible for photographing any part of it. Pressure not worth the one shot.
My advise: Decline and enjoy the day. Too many things can and will go wrong for 10 second shot of car to door shot.
Rule 4. You will be blamed for them being late no matter what you do.
Offer to film them at park or beach etc. before or after wedding day. Be a hero then.
Less Stress equals Better Footage.
Just things to think about.

It's done already and everything went smooth :). I will also be doing shots for them after the wedding as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20