P3 Loss of Control

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im pretty new to the Phantom, well very new...only had it a week now with a dozen or so flights.

Every thing has gone great until today. I took the P3A out for a flight. I got one flight in without issue. Brought her back, swapped batteries and took off again. Very shortly after take off I found it was listing pretty hard to the left. I tried to correct and it just seemed to get worse. For the next 2 min or so, I struggled and fought her until I got her back on the ground. I let the sticks go to get it stabilized, but it just drifted off to the left. I tried RTH and while it did help getting the P3 back closer to me, it was still out of whack. I was finally able to get it back on the ground.

This was the first flights with the new firmware. Did a cold IMU cal as well as a compass cal on sight.

Here is the video from the flight:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can see at :13 where it starts to list to the left. Also, attached is a shot of the flight data. I know its hard to see, but under the stick input notice that it shows the front of the copter pointing to the left. You can see from the video, that it was pointed 90 degrees to the right of where it thought it was.

I am not sure what to think here. I assume this is a compass thing, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-06-19 19.00.05.png
    2015-06-19 19.00.05.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 359
redo the imu make sure you are on solid non conductive surface and let the imu go all the way through. DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING while in process. worked for me.

I noticed in your fligRED LED's were a constant red, not beeping like I thought they were suppose to. But I may be wrong on this. I can not remember off hand if the constant red is a warning when flying, maybe someone else can tell us what the front LED's are suppose to be doing when in flight.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, the front LEDs are always on red (unless you turn them off if the app). The backs are the ones that change to show status.

Just a follow up: I just got of Chat with DJI Support and they say it needs repair and to call the US support team. It was obviously their default answer as the only question they asked me was if I had flown with the prop guards on before.

I would hate to have my drone for exactly one week, and have to send it back for two months, but I guess that is better then loosing/crashing my $1000 drone.

<Sigh>...

Last edited:
This should be totally unacceptable to anyone and everyone if you just bought your Phantom and have to send it back to them because they are to cheap to hire and train more technicians or allow authorization by their dealers to fix the problem or problems you and everyone else is encountering. If DJI was more user friendly they would allow their dealers to fix the problems instead of everyone having to send it back to California, which is total bull.
DJI is so scared of dealer fraud, that they make us, the consumer, suffer, because they make the consumer send them back to California for final diagnosis, repair or replacement.
*Edited to remove political content-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It's a great product, with a highly imperfect manufacturing process... Unfortunately they don't have enough capital to have Apple like manufacturing processes and personnel.. What does everyone think DJIs gross sales are? 500 million? A billion? Just curious..

The wide range of issues and how they are so frequent % per unit leads me to belive they haven't ironed out their mfg. Entirely. Still like a start-up..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Somebody's tinfoil is on too tight
Dissatisfied consumers are not good for any company, US, European, Chinese, or any country. Politics or governments, liberals or conservatives, have nothing to do with the product quality. Do we want to start a war over Phantoms-- sheesh!o_O

DJI is so scared of dealer fraud, that they make us, the consumer, suffer, because they make the consumer send them back to California for final diagnosis, repair or replacement. What can you expect from a Chinese Company that is 50% owned by the Chinese Communist Government. Historical FACT: Any company doing business in Communist China is automatically in "PARTNERSHIP" with the Chinese "COMMUNIST" Government. So for anyone to think that they will get a fair break from DJI is horribly mistaken, it is controlled by COMMUNISTS because they control the labor force entirely. The DJI factory workers, all work and are supported by the Communist Government. They have no incentive to turn out problem free products or understand Quality Control.

Wow, just WOW. The scary thing is you sound like you mean it.

Well, international politics aside, I called the place I bought it from and they allowed me to return it. I then used that as an excuse to upgrade to the P3P.

Reactions: jcknows0
Well, international politics aside, I called the place I bought it from and they allowed me to return it. I then used that as an excuse to upgrade to the P3P.
Nice maneuver! Can't believe how smooth the P3 is compared to my P2v1. Enjoy it, as you kept an even keel through the whole process. This is an emerging industry so there are a lot of kinks right now. Who was your dealer again, as they deserve a rep as well.

Wow, just WOW. The scary thing is you sound like you mean it.
Good to see the unedited post to see some of the recent content from new forum members. Calling China Communist shows one's lack of understanding of basic political economy. In addition, DJI is located in Guangdong but they did have a North America office (part of their original marketing team in US) that was closed when the war started between the original partners: http://www.suasnews.com/2014/01/271...-dji-innovations-announces-powers-taylor-llp/
Just because DJI will be a billion dollar company this year doesn't mean they will give away P3s nor does Apple give away iPhones. That's capitalism and maximizing profit.

Nice maneuver! Can't believe how smooth the P3 is compared to my P2v1. Enjoy it, as you kept an even keel through the whole process. This is an emerging industry so there are a lot of kinks right now. Who was your dealer again, as they deserve a rep as well.

Coptershop in Woodenville, WA.

Reactions: bobmyers
How do you access the flight analysis screen? I had similar issue and want to see if it was stick input error. Thanks.

How do you access the flight analysis screen? I had similar issue and want to see if it was stick input error. Thanks.

From the main screen in DJI Pilot, user control and then the middle button on the bottom with the little arrow. There you see all your flights. Tap one and then tap the play button. You have to tap the little control stick icon in the bottom left to see your stick input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31