P3 Increased Battery Performance

Reaction score
p3smartB.png

We all want longer flight time and longer battery life, right? I put this thread together to help with things I didn't know when I began flying. Hopefully you will find this useful.

Our LiPo batteries are better then other batteries because they have better energy to weight ratio. They maintain a higher voltage under load plus have quicker acceleration.

You can actually get more performance out of a LiPo battery. To do this, you'll need to optimize the starting temp before flight. The LiPo batteries has a "ideal output temperature" of 100°F (38°C). The internal resistance is at its lowest when they are ran with a starting temps of around 100°F (38°C). With that starting temp, the battery gets it's best voltage under load and the least amount of heat built up during flight.

A battery at a temp less then 50°F (10°C) ( and colder) can show noticeably poorer performance until it warms up with use. In the winter time or in cold climates, it’s best to store your battery in a heated indoor living area. For outdoor use in cold climates, you should pre-warm your batteries to 90-100°F (32-38°C) before using them. But remember, 140°F (60°C) is the maximum safe temp, and the batteries temp will increase when it is used...so be careful not to pre-warm a battery too much.

Btw, it makes little difference what temp it is at when you are charging the battery, except when extreme cold which may allow the battery to overcharge, or if it’s over 140°F (60°C) which could end the life of your battery.

Another thing to know about is the 80% rule with LiPo batteries. It's not a good idea to fly when the battery is 20% and below. Doing so shortens the life span says the LiPo experts.

And lastly, when the temps are below the freezing point, it is very beneficial to tape off all air vents on the P3. Again, this will help bring the temp up for better performance, and also help keep all internals from the brittle cold.

As mentioned....Hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
We all want longer flight time and longer battery life, right? I put this thread together to help with things I didn't know when I began flying. Hopefully you will find this useful.

Our LiPo batteries are better then other batteries because they have better energy to weight ratio. They maintain a higher voltage under load plus have quicker acceleration.

You can actually get more performance out of a LiPo battery. To do this, you'll need to optimize the starting temp before flight. The LiPo batteries has a "ideal output temperature" of 100°F (38°C). The internal resistance is at its lowest when they are ran with a starting temps of around 100°F (38°C). With that starting temp, the battery gets it's best voltage under load and the least amount of heat built up during flight.

A battery at a temp less then 50°F (10°C) ( and colder) can show noticeably poorer performance until it warms up with use. In the winter time or in cold climates, it’s best to store your battery in a heated indoor living area. For outdoor use in cold climates, you should pre-warm your batteries to 90-100°F (32-38°C) before using them. But remember, 140°F (60°C) is the maximum safe temp, and the batteries temp will increase when it is used...so be careful not to pre-warm a battery too much.

Btw, it makes little difference what temp it is at when you are charging the battery, except when extreme cold which may allow the battery to overcharge, or if it’s over 140°F (60°C) which could end the life of your battery.

Another thing to know about is the 80% rule with LiPo batteries. It's not a good idea to fly when the battery is 20% and below. Doing so shortens the life span says the LiPo experts.

And lastly, when the temps are below the freezing point, it is very beneficial to tape off all air vents on the P3. Again, this will help bring the temp up for better performance, and also help keep all internals from the brittle cold.

As mentioned....Hope this helps! :D

Thanks "flyNfrank" - great info as to the batteries that I have copied and pasted into my binder on the Phantom as to useful information. I agree with you as to covering the vents on the Phantom arms when flying in sub-zero temps (or near that temp). The cold air itself combined with the force of the props will induce very cold internal temps on the Phantom boards etc. - can cause cracks! I have been doing abut a 75% cover on vents when flying in very cold weather (albeit I have only had a few flights - newbie). Just seemed like a common sense thing to do!

Worth mentioning also when you bring the unit inside to warmer temps condensation on the boards may happen (cold to warm effect) that could cause further issues if you went into a warm area for a break or whatever and then flew again shortly after that.

Thanks again and happy safe flying.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Another weak point in battery use is the connection points. If you fly in polluted environments, you need to watch battery contacts on the battery as well on the P3 regularly and clean them if necessary.

Another weak point in battery use is the connection points. If you fly in polluted environments, you need to watch battery contacts on the battery as well on the P3 regularly and clean them if necessary.
Would a Q-Tip and 95% isopropyl alcohol work just fine to clean the contacts?

You know....your post makes me think; what if the battery post had a thin layer of conductive grease applied? Would that not be something to do?

I'm thinking if the conductive grease didn't hinder performance, may be it would be something to think about? I don't have much experience with that type of grease.

You know....your post makes me think; what if the battery post had a thin layer of conductive grease applied? Would that not be something to do?

I'm thinking if the conductive grease didn't hinder performance, may be it would be something to think about? I don't have much experience with that type of grease.

Battery lube does help "somewhat" with conductivity - however if there are higher internal temps at the connections, the lube as far as I know will loose its detergents and run all over the place (melt) so could create a mess within the Phantom (that type of lubrication does not have a very high limit as to breakdown from heat).

I don't like battery lube because it can be a dirt magnet. Then you've made a nice polishing compound.... Just look at the contacts, clean them with something that won't leave a film like isopropyl alcohol.

Might have to try the vent covers. I never fly in temps above +10C so overheating is likely not an issue for me...

And, of course, some cautionary warnings for those of the inquisitive persuasion with more testosterone than common sense - these LiPo batteries have a buttload of power stuffed into a small space. Almost gasoline density. So handle them carefully and don't mess with them.

Last edited:

Interesting thought.

First let's see properties of three metals:

Silver: excellent conductivity but prone to oxidation

Copper: Very good conductivity but prone to oxidation

Gold: Good conductivity and immune to oxidation

We have gold plated contacts in P3 system, they are really good for the fixed contacts. We need to keep them clean from the pollutants. Once cleaned they will shine again and are ready for use.

Silver based conducting greases are available for high temperatures (500 F) and work best for moving contacts or little flexible contacts and serve to increase the conductivity due to uneven contact. Not sure if they are good candidates for non moving contacts. They may be good for copper contacts.

Greases attract atmospheric dust and thus may not be ok for use in polluted environments.

In general, we don't need any conducting grease for gold plated contacts. I have a jewelry cleaning solution it works well on these contacts.

Last edited:
Some people say it's good to discharge ur lipo batteries after about 20 charging cycles to less than 7%... But here it's mentioned that it's better to leave 20% juice and not discharge beyond that...

Which is rite?

Some people say it's good to discharge ur lipo batteries after about 20 charging cycles to less than 7%... But here it's mentioned that it's better to leave 20% juice and not discharge beyond that...

Which is rite?

Actually we were recently taught the magic number is now take to 2% when performing battery resets.

And take another peek at the sentence you referred to: "It's not a good idea to fly when the battery is 20% and below". It was meant for while in flight.

Interesting thought.

We have gold plated contacts in P3 system, they are really good for the fixed contacts. We need to keep them clean from the pollutants. Once cleaned they will shine again and are ready for use.

Silver based conducting greases are available for high temperatures (500 F) and work best for moving contacts or little flexible contacts and serve to increase the conductivity due to uneven contact. Not sure if they are good candidates for non moving contacts. They may be good for copper contacts.

Greases attract atmospheric dust and thus may not be ok for use in polluted environments.

In general, we don't need any conducting grease for gold plated contacts. I have a jewelry cleaning solution it works well on these contacts.
Just a bit of info there is liquid called Deoxit gold which is designed for gold contacts i use it all the time. After you clean them just apply a really fine smear it is supposed to create a chemical contact along with the actual physical contact

Flying at 200' should technically give more flying time compared to flying at 400'.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Actually we were recently taught the magic number is now take to 2% when performing battery resets.

And take another peek at the sentence you referred to: "It's not a good idea to fly when the battery is 20% and below". It was meant for while in flight.

Point me your teacher, want to know more about the new magic number. Also, wondering if its harmful for batts to do reset/calibration every 10 cycles or is it too often?

Is this 2% number for all Lipos or just the P3 Lipo? I've been deep discharging my P2 batteries to 3%.

Thanks for the thread.

Interesting thought.

You're absolutely right about the gold contact. :)

Point me your teacher, want to know more about the new magic number. Also, wondering if its harmful for batts to do reset/calibration every 10 cycles or is it too often?

If said the "horses mouth", would you know who I was taking about?

I'm not sure about 10 cycles. I personally have never reset any of my batteries. I would say it would be based on a persons flying habits. If you were doing 3-5 minutes a lot then maybe so?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20