P3 flip and crash to the concrete....

Reaction score
100% Operator error. Short thread here just to ask if anyone has experienced this and how you handled.

2.5M in altitude on a normal landing approach.....sudden wind gusts of 28 km/hour drove her backwards into a low hanging tree branch. Hit branch, flip and drop straight to the concrete. Landed 180 degrees upside down. All 4 propellers hit the concrete at the same time. Immediately hit shut-off of the engines but no response. Bird continued to try to fly itself down into the pavement at full speed for roughly 8 seconds before I could reach it. Picked it up, shut down the engines.......

4 Propellor heads were worn down like I had used a sanding device to smooth them down. Shaved off at least 5mm of the 4 DJI carbon-fiber prop heads.

Did a full laptop assessment, changed props, re-tightened hex screws beneath props, new flight, no problem thank goodness......

Should I consider other testing or repair?

Thanks guys.

Right. One stick back, or both back and in?
I've seen before that pilots report being unable to shut-off upside down birds. I wonder if that's due to some algorithm which thinks they're still in the air. Seems like a both-sticks-back shut down should work anyway. Doesn't a CSC override everything?

There's my incompetence. I don't know CSC as I've never had to perform one in 25 flights.

There's my incompetence. I don't know CSC as I've never had to perform one in 25 flights.

It's not something you want to practice when flying but it's the same stick position you use to arm the motors before take off

Doesn't CSC stand for Combined Stick Control? It means that to perform that function both sticks have to be moved simultaneously in a particular pattern.

I've seen a few folks on fb try left stick down on an upturned p3 and when that failed they picked the bird up with motors still spinning.. Good way to get injured when CSC is safer and faster.

Thanks Dronason. I've done that. I still would like to know how to perform a CSC. Both sticks moved into what position? straight down? I'm certain I did that. First left stick. Then held left stick and pulled down right stick.

Good to see someone reading the manual
Always. Heck, the thing cost me almost 2 grand (with case, extra batteries, antenna and HDMI output mods, accessories, spare parts, prop balancer...crikey I'm starting to feel a little nauseous). The least I can do is learn how to keep it from crashing. I admit that I am often surprised by some of the questions (not necessarily the one by the OP) which pilots ask. These may be toys for many pilots, but they are capable of causing some major harm. The pilots owe it to other people to ensure they won't be endangered.

A picture is worth a thousand words....

For CSC shutdown (Emergency or if you want instant shut down) Page 46 of the manual, Method #1 in the pictorial.

Always. Heck, the thing cost me almost 2 grand (with case, extra batteries, antenna and HDMI output mods, accessories, spare parts, prop balancer...crikey I'm starting to feel a little nauseous). The least I can do is learn how to keep it from crashing. I admit that I am often surprised by some of the questions (not necessarily the one by the OP) which pilots ask. These may be toys for many pilots, but they are capable of causing some major harm. The pilots owe it to other people to ensure they won't be endangered.

I couldn't agree more.

Are you from Aust?

I couldn't agree more.

Are you from Aust?
LOL, no, got the crikey from an Aussie friend many years ago. Live in the northeast USA. Which reminds me... Seven years ago I was in Salzburg, Austria for Oktoberfest. They were selling t-shirts which said "NO! We don't have any **** kangaroos!" They were for the American tourists of course. ;)

Reactions: nickyb

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1