P3 Controller - Bottom Mount Screw Spinning, Won't Come Out, Thoughts?

Reaction score
Went to replace the plastic mount and to my shock the bottom screw on the mount, the one in-between the buttons keeps spinning and won't come out. It looks like the threaded collar that is part of the stalk that receives the metal screw is spinning in the plastic stalk with the screw.

I'm scratching my head here. Trying to figure out how to get it out without destroying the mount. Thoughts?

Went to replace the plastic mount and to my shock the bottom screw on the mount, the one in-between the buttons keeps spinning and won't come out. It looks like the threaded collar that is part of the stalk that receives the metal screw is spinning in the plastic stalk with the screw.

I'm scratching my head here. Trying to figure out how to get it out without destroying the mount. Thoughts?

Open it up appears to be the only option to possibly fix it without adding anything permanent like plastic epoxy.

Had the same issue, don't worry I have a fix. The plastic is very soft. Cut into the plastic close to the screw from the top, and after some negotiation with the area you'll find the plastic will come away. It took me some time to break it apart but it's well worth the effort. Replacing with a new metal part and you are good to go.

Had the same issue, don't worry I have a fix. The plastic is very soft. Cut into the plastic close to the screw from the top, and after some negotiation with the area you'll find the plastic will come away. It took me some time to break it apart but it's well worth the effort. Replacing with a new metal part and you are good to go.

Hmm, I thought about this but isn't there a risk to cutting into the metal ring on the controller that the screw and plastic stalk goes around?

I tried dabbing super glue around the metal collar and plastic stalk and let it set for awhile thinking this would hold that collar in place. That didn't work.

I was about to try and drill through the screw until I saw your post. Please explain as I don't want to muck up the metal ring that is on the controller.

I just replaced mine. It looks like the receiving part for the screw is pressed into the plastic. Before destroying the plastic I would try a drop of superglue from the outside of the pressed in part, let it set for 30 minutes then try to unscrew the screw. You just might get enough purchase to break the screw loose without damaging the mount. What is happing is the pressed in part is probably spinning in the plastic hole.

Edit: ha, I just saw your post after I hit send. :) I suspect you might have over tightened the screw in the hopes of preventing movement of the mount and now it's going to take some effort to break it loose. A squirt of penetrating oil or something like that might help. but I wouldn't give up on the superglue just yet. Only problem is you run the risk of supergluing the screw into the hole :(I would try to cover up the screw hole with something first then really soak the screw sleeve with glue and let it set for at least one hour.

Last edited:
Hmm, thinking about trying to find a long pin needle, a few of them to shove I between the plastic and metal collar and try that. I squirted some WD40 in there, well dabbed it and wiggle the screw back and forth a few times, it didn't loosen up. I don't remember ever tightening that screw.

Oh well, last resort will be to use the dremel or wire cutters carefully. I don't really care about damaging the existing mount it's the expensive controller I don't want to jack up.

I got it done but oh what a nightmare. A few minor scratches on the controller but most are covered up by the new Inspire 1 metal stalk so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

That metal collar in the plastic mount has what looks like flat gear teeth in it. I thought after this first photo I could use a small screwdriver to hold the collar and unscrew the but nope that bolt was in there tight and not going anywhere. I had to cut down the whole plastic mount to get the collar and bolt to come out together. I never want to do that again. Bad design on DJI's part for that plastic mount. The P3 should have come with the metal one to begin with. A 3 minute job turned into 2 hours.

LMip0BJ.jpg

kHT9Ahh.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers