P3 Advanced arriving Saturday -firmware questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am upgrading to the advanced. I have seen other threads relating to the intricacies of each firmware but havent studied them because they didnt apply to me until now. I do not know what firmware it will arrive with. I have hosed myself with things in the past like phones and immediately upgrading them out of the box only to find the update was to close things like the ability to root the phone. No I do not want to root my phantom, if that was even possible, however I do not want to immediately update out of the box to something that may have bugs and hose myself again.

So assuming it arrives it arrives with old firmware out of the box, does anyone have any pointers?

-Do I need to upgrade to even fly or can I ignore prompts? Is there a work around if you do choose to ignore?...possibly forever.
-Details about different versions. I used to see threads about camera shaking, about geo fences, and other things relating to updates.
- You can roll back from certain versions, but not other versions, or if you do the wrong update first and just two updates it messes something up, instead you need to do 1 and then the other...
-I guess I need to update batteries as well too? I didn't need to update a battery in my P3 standard. If its the same battery what gives? I know they call it a smart battery but is there really a computer in it?

Any advice appreciated.

My opinion is you want to upgrade the bird if it's on 1.05. The last P3P I had I had 1.05 on the RC and 1.07 on the bird and battery.

1.07 reduced cold weather performance. On 1.05 my bird fell out of the sky when it was cold outside and DJI replaced it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It will definitely work as it is when you get it.
If you do upgrade you may not be able to go back.
Updating is not without risk especially when you first get it and things are not that familiar.

There will be a nag about updates available or required but you absolutely do not need to do them.
There has been very little useful in firmware updates for a while.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic