P3 4k with wifi !!!

Seems very odd them doing this.

Maybe the profit margin is not what is should be with light bridge and its a way to remove them ???

Looking at the specs, it seems it's been designed to keep the operator within strict legal limits....hope they don't bring out a firmware update to try and hobble the A and P version!

Having said that, it may just be a way of producing a cheaper model to get more sales.

I'm totally confused by this release ? It also advertises 25 minutes flight time ? Is the Wifi less taxing on the battery ? Or is this a mis-print ?

Probably a natural progression with the P4 potentially about to debut at CES. The P3 Standard will now be the P3 4K and the P4 will have all of the bells and whistles.

Just my speculation. We will see soon, Jan 6th.

SD

Probably a natural progression with the P4 potentially about to debut at CES. The P3 Standard will now be the P3 4K and the P4 will have all of the bells and whistles.

Just my speculation. We will see soon, Jan 6th.

SD
Not going to be rushing out to get a P4 like I did on my P 3P. That was a huge mistake.

Not dipped my toe in this forum for ages now but I too saw the release notice and was really confused where in the range this sits. Same camera, lens and specs as the P3P but with 2 mins more flight time and half the quoted video link range... only thing I can think of is either a new fancy zero(ish) latency via wifi or as mentioned before, compliance in terms of line of site range maybe.

from this page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography I note that it quotes just GPS (no GLONASS Dual Positioning Module mentioned).

Isn't DJI's slogan "The Future of Possible"? Seems more like the "The Regression to What Was".

Other thing i just noticed.. **edit.... noticed also the OP saw this and commented in the first post! Doh!

P3P - App details = Live View Quality720P @ 30fps (depending on conditions and mobile device)
P4K - App details = Live View Quality480P @ 30fps

Kinda makes sense without Lightbridge really and might make latency better but not really a step forward on paper at least.

Last edited:
Ever since that new Phantom first started to appear in the GO app menu, it has been a head scratcher. Has anyone heard in the past couple of weeks what the price point will be for the new model?

Could be because of the law. The lightbridge was always questionable, they castraded it to 8 channels to stay within the law and ppl used the channel hack. Maybe some ppl were not amused about that and they made pressure to dji. It was just to much range and i can imagine that many countries were afraid of that long range in the hands of consumers. All new quads coming like the prodrone use wifi. The Phantom3 will soon be outdated for that money and they need a new simpler and cheaper entry level series. Other manufacturers coming from nowhere with really good offers.

Could be because of the law. The lightbridge was always questionable

I agree there could be large aspects of that as they are so under the microscope at the moment due to their own success in the marketplace.

I talked to a rep from Ofcom (UK Governing body for all telecommunications) at the Drone Show UK and it is amazing how nearly all manufactures sell 100% illegal equipment with total impunity but he also admitted they simply cannot police even 0.5% of it. Worrying thing is they are looking to get the government to prevent sales of equiptment that breach the law so maybe DJI are reacting to that culture. Personally I would have thought they would go the happy medium and let the user decide. Allow them to use power levels beyond their countries limits but use the GO app to give warnings and acknowledgements to the user. This is what ImmersionRC have done with the Vortex Pro where you can change the vTX output in the field based on the event location/laws.

As for price point I can only assume it will be cheaper than a PVP.... a crude assumption but is it not basically recycling tech created from the Phantom Vision and putting it into the P3P.

Will be interested to find out.

just all seems odd and being a little paranoid maybe the light bridge version will only sell in a few selected countries.

Not to be funny DJI are becoming the next Apple too many SKU in their lineups. (Apple iPad's)

I'm totally confused by this release ? It also advertises 25 minutes flight time ? Is the Wifi less taxing on the battery ? Or is this a mis-print ?

WiFi signal (going out 2500') is far less taxing than microwave being sent out 2 miles or so. This is same flight time as the P3S and Phantom Vision (if I recall correctly).

Not to be funny DJI are becoming the next Apple too many SKU in their lineups. (Apple iPad's)

You have not seen the samsung line up of phone / tablets then :)

Just seems strange to have a
699 standard
999 advanced
999 pro wifi
1259 pro lightbridge

the new model is going to cause a new level of confusion with people not sure what they have bought or think they have bought.

Not dipped my toe in this forum for ages now but I too saw the release notice and was really confused where in the range this sits. Same camera, lens and specs as the P3P but with 2 mins more flight time and half the quoted video link range... only thing I can think of is either a new fancy zero(ish) latency via wifi or as mentioned before, compliance in terms of line of site range maybe.

from this page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography I note that it quotes just GPS (no GLONASS Dual Positioning Module mentioned).

If it does not have glonass that is a step backwards, i got down to 5 sats on gps when i had the phantom 2v+ with GPS only and it became very unstable every day at certain times of year. (mainly summer).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik