P2V+ v3 with GoPro Hero4 and DJI Vision App ?!

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this appears to be a repost/didn't read the stickies, but I want to make sure I have the most up-to-date information. I've read the stickies and see the information, at least as of 2014.

I crashed my (brand new) P2V+ and bent the hell out of the Gimbal. I'm going to try and bend it back, but I'm not particularly optimistic about the outlook. I really loved the 4 flights I got out of it, particularly the FPV with the DJI Vision App and the telemetry when I was up really high.

I already have a GP Hero 4, so I'm thinking if my gimbal repair doesn't work, I'd like to swap the Go Pro in.

What's the cheapest/simplest way to do this and retain use of the DJI Vision App? Most important to me, in this order: Telemetry, FPV, Stability.

I read viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28027, and it has good information, but seems slightly dated.

I've seen at least one solution offered by "DroneExperts" QuickRelease. http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre-order- ... -2-vision/. If I understand correctly, however, I'd need (at least) the Zenmuse H4-3D ($300) and QuickRelease ($200).

I also read that there might be a way to use the Hero's 2.4GHZ Wifi like the V+'s camera, plugging in the correct wires and getting telemetry and FPV without any real additional parts, maybe using the V+ Gimbal base? I can't seem to find any detailed discussions of this.

I also read that you can use the Hero's 2.4GHZ wifi with the GoPro App, and it won't cause loss of FPV/loss of control like with earlier versions, since V+ control is now 5.8 GHZ?

Has anyone done any of these things? Do I really need to drop another $500 to get myself back in business with FPV+Telemetry? I'm not opposed to going gimbal-less completely (fixed mount) if it'll get me those two back.

Hello Seattle,

I was in the same boat as you. I did replace my vision plus gear to a Zenmuse HD-3D with a gopro3. Very simple and works. I'm still trying to debug the tilt. I had the 7ch lever added to the radio how ever this goes dead as soon as I bind the camera in the dji application on my S4 phone. The application no longer drives the HD-3D tilt either. I was going to burn the thing before sending it in for service or buying a new gimbal camera for $650. As a DIY hacker I will never purchase another DJI product until they shift the corporate policies in favor of excellence in customer service. Most of the techs know 2 1/2 things. 1. DJI customer service rules. 2. Where to get the basic information. and 1/2. How to troubleshoot outside of a flow chart. And then the rule. You must send it in for service. By the way, once you go gopro you loose the start/stop record function. I use a 64gb card and record the whole thing in 4k 15fps. Makes for good still.

I will gladly share my findings.

Next rant. DJI smart battery goes dead when wet. A good thing but now you have a state of the art bricked power pack. It would be nice to know how to reset else replace the smart board. Again with the propriety info to keep in the the family.

TuT said:
Hi Seattle,
I've done the cheap conversion myself. I used a Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and GoPro 4 Silver. Very happy with the results, although the GoPro doesn't take great stills.

Instructions can be found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 815&page=3

Prepare yourself for some reading. The actual mod is quite easy.
I am in the process of doing it myself. Page 17 with post#252 by Pitcher8811 gives the cut a dry of it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 15&page=17
Thanks to everyone that worked on that mod!

Reactions: Brent10

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1