P2V+ USERS...PLEASE HELP! P2V+ OR P2 WITH ZENMUSE/GOPRO?

Reaction score
i'm totally torn. P2V+ or P2/GoPro. My use would be more for stills than video. I love the fact that + can take RAW. GoPro can't. But, i like the range i can get with GoPro. Oh, and the ribbon cable worries me with the +. Alot of people tell me to avoid the + just for that reason. But there has to be more positive than negative stories out there. Probably silly of me to ask this is the + forum but looking for honest opinions.
thanks in advance.

Re: P2V+ USERS...PLEASE HELP! P2V+ OR P2 WITH ZENMUSE/GOPRO

If you are worried about the ribbon cable take the camera off and learn to fly without it. Take 25 flights or more and learn all the manuevers, and all the failsafe options and what to do when you get in trouble. Then put the camera on. The only reason the ribbon cable breaks is because of a bad crash, or most likely, several bad crashes.

Ribbon cable or not you have to learn to fly the beast.
Anyway if you crash it to that extent the ribbon cable breaks the what would that crash do to your gopro ?
Seen a lot vid's on yourtube that smashed a gopro due to a crash.
And to make it more difficult for you, droneexpert.nl has just posted a video today that makes the V+ and gopro interchangeable.

Thanks folks. I should have mentioned that I used to own a p2v. Got rid of it and now need to upgrade. So I do have adequate flight time. Still torn though. Being able to take RAW is super nice.

I have a PV2+, it's in for repair. After following the advice of the helpful tech dept I did an advanced emu calibration. It helped but did not stop it from unexplained loss of altitude and no throttle response. My last flight I was flying only at about 10 to 15 feet flying forward. Suddenly it dropped and if it were a plane with wheels it would have been nice. However it touched down on the front of the landing gear. Looked like a very innocuous crash as it just tipped forward and stopped. Guess what, the camera popped right out and tore the ribbon. This was not a "bad crash" The magnetic binding of the gimbal is strong but believe me, it doesn't take a hard crash to dislodge it. And in my case tear the ribbon. I got the PV2+ specifically for the same reason that your considering it. Raw. I'm a photographer and Raw is my file of choice. That said, it's not much of a file, it's noisy, lots of artifacts and not much dynamic range. I do like the versatility of the +cam and being able to switch from photo to video mid-flight but in hindsight, I would Go Pro it next round plus the downtime waiting for the ribbon repair and hopefully erratic loss of control issues will be corrected somehow is a bit much. BTW, the ribbon could easily be designed with a pull apart connector where its been tearing so that if the camera pops out, you simply put it back in and snap the ribbon back together. that would only take 15 seconds. Sheesh, this isn't rocket science.

If you can afford $700.00 every time it decides to shorten your flight plan for no reason, get the Plus. If not I would get anything that doesn't have the ribbon cable. As for a plug to avoid breaking the ribbon cable, where is DJI's incentive to do that? They love those broken ribbon cables. They will make money repairing it or selling a new camera. I don't know how normal it is but I have had about 30 flights and 3 of them were going along nice and smooth with good response from the drone. Suddenly for NO reason it just decided to fall to the ground. Very expensive toy. All three crashes were in wide open space , no electrical lines, not metal objects other than mu car about 200 feet away. So what is going wrong?

Despite the noise on the forum there are hundreds of P2+ pilots that have no problems at all.
You only hear from the unhappy ones.
As for removing the camera to learn ... I wouldn't recommend it.
If you cripple the machine that way you remove a lot of the technology that makes it safer and easier to fly.
The camera and gimbal aren't just for taking photos - that's your wifi and telemetry too.
The P2+ is a fine piece of technology and easy to fly. Just don't do anything crazy.

I have a P2V+ and really like it. I have the latest software installed and have not had any issues. My son has a P2 with H3/3D gimble and Go Pro camera. He's a photographer and chose that setup for the better camera. I got to fly his P2 and I didn't like the fact that you had to start the Go Pro recording video before you took off and could not change the camera once the P2 was in the air. I'll take my P2V+ with its camera control ability and built in Ground Station any day.

clingermac said:
If you can afford $700.00 every time it decides to shorten your flight plan for no reason, get the Plus. If not I would get anything that doesn't have the ribbon cable. As for a plug to avoid breaking the ribbon cable, where is DJI's incentive to do that? They love those broken ribbon cables. They will make money repairing it or selling a new camera. I don't know how normal it is but I have had about 30 flights and 3 of them were going along nice and smooth with good response from the drone. Suddenly for NO reason it just decided to fall to the ground. Very expensive toy. All three crashes were in wide open space , no electrical lines, not metal objects other than mu car about 200 feet away. So what is going wrong?

Yours is doing what mine does. Mine was a preorder from DJI China. I'm wondering if the first released PV2+ are the ones having the most problems?

I"d take the inconvenience of starting the video from take off to the cost or repair and downtime of the inherent ribbon failure so for me another cam/gimbal choice is worth it. I'm sure that this design flaw will not be repeated in future models as it seems that DJI is performing "Good Will" repairs on a case by case basis. Overall it's a durable quad with a lot of plus's and I expect that DJI is aware of the possible backlash if they don't take care of their customers and improve their brand leading products reputation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj