P2V transmitter have gps, atti and manual mode out the box?

Reaction score
Hi all- I'm an experienced rc pilot and in fact a full scale helicopter pilot- recently got the p2v for some fun on the side and just want to understand fully how the s1 switch on the remote controller/transmitter comes 'out the box 'as I understand you are supposed to get gps hold, atti and manual modes yet the dji setup videos and instructions didn't mention anything about the atti and manual modes at all...does the s1 switch only come out the box in gps positron hold mode only -if so what happens in this gps mode in flight if the s1 switch is flipped down to the middle and bottom positions? hearing about many of the flyaways occurring in gps mode and being more used to flying manually I'd prefer to have the option immediately before my maiden flight to fly it manually...if this is the case out the box what's the best way to get the s1 switch to have gps, atti and manual modes- is it the naza option in that software? If in the naza mode is the only option for return to home to switch the transmitter off?

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback!
Justin

Re: P2V transmitter have gps, atti and manual mode out the b

You need to enable NAZAM mode by connecting your PV2 to the assistant that you download from the DJI site. It is a good idea to connect it anyway to ensure you have the latest firmware. It is reasonably intuitive to use, just do not forget to download the driver first.

pault said:
You need to enable NAZAM mode by connecting your PV2 to the assistant that you download from the DJI site. It is a good idea to connect it anyway to ensure you have the latest firmware. It is reasonably intuitive to use, just do not forget to download the driver first.
Thanks Paul- so what does the s1 switch do on the transmitter out the box in 'non nazam' mode in the middle and bottom positions in flight and is return to home only activated in nazam mode by switching off the transmitter or by a flick of another switch? are there any plans for the s2 switch to be assigned any operations? Thank you

In stock mode S1 only has 2 functions - to enter into compass calibration mode, and to break the return to home cycle if you want to re-take control. Other than that, zip. Also, in stock mode S2 only has the function to reset the "home" location of the aircraft, otherwise zip.

In NAZAM mode you can set RTH to be position 3 on S1 as an option, or full manual (no flight aids at all except basic gyro stabilisation). Position 2 is atti mode. Position 1 is GPS mode (so same as stock Vision). S2 is then used for Intelligent Orientation Control if you activate it (position 1 off, position 2 course lock, position 3 home lock).

Pull_Up said:
In stock mode S1 only has 2 functions - to enter into compass calibration mode, and to break the return to home cycle if you want to re-take control. Other than that, zip. Also, in stock mode S2 only has the function to reset the "home" location of the aircraft, otherwise zip.

In NAZAM mode you can set RTH to be position 3 on S1 as an option, or full manual (no flight aids at all except basic gyro stabilisation). Position 2 is atti mode. Position 1 is GPS mode (so same as stock Vision). S2 is then used for Intelligent Orientation Control if you activate it (position 1 off, position 2 course lock, position 3 home lock).

thank you- are there any further resources/instructional videos/webpages on customizing these features using DJI Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08 (which I have installed and the latest firmware is installed to P2V itself already) you can recommend? I searched but it's hard to find tutorials etc on this- the DJI site itself doesn't go into it much either rather surprisingly- as if they don't want you to have the atti and manual modes installed- I think having them as a failsafe, should the GPS mode fail and a flyaway occurs, is a much better option than GPS only mode..

in NAZAM mode- if position 3 on S1 is set to manual- is RTH only activated then by switching off the transmitter or can you have manual in NAZAM mode and have RTH by flicking S2? Thanks once more- helpful to be fully informed before I do my maiden flight

update- just tried the assistant- and all seem fairly self explanatory in how to customize the various switches etc- once in NAZAM mode..

just a thought- is it possible to add the equivalent of 'expo' and/or dual rates' via the assistant for when flying in manual mode to make it less sensitive around the stick centers fr example?

If you are an experienced RC heli pilot then you'll find the Vision extremely easy to fly with all of the aids turned on. I would still advise getting at least one battery-worth of time under your belt getting used to the quad way of things (and the lack of a tail boom for orientation!) and checking out the app, radar function, checking your video stream is ok, etc.

Once you've shaken those down you can play around with the GAIN settings in the Assistant, although be aware that those gains will then be set for all flight modes. It's not expo, its sensitivity - the lower the gain, the more "mushy" the feel, the higher then the tighter it gets - too high and it will oscillate, though, trying to over-compensate when using any of the non-manual modes. It's a question of making a 10% change, test fly, change again, test fly.

I haven't made any changes from stock personally as I find it flies to my liking right now - but if I add a third party gimbal or something else that adds weight then I may well want to tweak gains at a later stage.

Regarding RTH - If you've set S1 position 3 to RTH then flicking that OR switching off will initiate RTH. If you've set it to Manual, then only switching off will initiate RTH. Of course if you fly out of range then RTH will kick in automatically. You can, of course, override once in range again just by flipping S1 into/out of position 1&2 as per the manual.

Pull_Up said:
If you are an experienced RC heli pilot then you'll find the Vision extremely easy to fly with all of the aids turned on. I would still advise getting at least one battery-worth of time under your belt getting used to the quad way of things (and the lack of a tail boom for orientation!) and checking out the app, radar function, checking your video stream is ok, etc.

Once you've shaken those down you can play around with the GAIN settings in the Assistant, although be aware that those gains will then be set for all flight modes. It's not expo, its sensitivity - the lower the gain, the more "mushy" the feel, the higher then the tighter it gets - too high and it will oscillate, though, trying to over-compensate when using any of the non-manual modes. It's a question of making a 10% change, test fly, change again, test fly.

I haven't made any changes from stock personally as I find it flies to my liking right now - but if I add a third party gimbal or something else that adds weight then I may well want to tweak gains at a later stage.

Regarding RTH - If you've set S1 position 3 to RTH then flicking that OR switching off will initiate RTH. If you've set it to Manual, then only switching off will initiate RTH. Of course if you fly out of range then RTH will kick in automatically. You can, of course, override once in range again just by flipping S1 into/out of position 1&2 as per the manual.

thank you pull up for your thorough reply- very helpful and appreciated! I had my maiden today in nazam mode- mostly flew in GPS and atti mode and it flew very nicely, behaving itself- I set position 3 to manual instead of RTH- when I switched to manual it lost power, dropped and crash landed- fortunately this happened only 2 feet above the ground and didn't do any damage- however I would like to figure out what happened so this doesn't hapen again , particularly if at altitude- do I need to configure something extra in the assistant to ensure manual responds correctly- if I remember correctly, the left (throttle) stick was in the middle position when I switch s1 to the bottom position, so I would think that enough power would have been there though not sure if I needed to add more or full throttle if changing to manual mode in flight..?

Regarding RTH if in manual or atti modes- will it still rth if RC control is lost in manual or atti (not gps mode) and if so and in eg. manual mode and it starts returning to home, if I want to regain control and the s1 switch is already down will switching s1 up to the top and back down again to regain control equally?

PS- here’s a quick video I put together (only 4 mins) of my maiden flight- above the hills here in LA
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZ_AM3H ... e=youtu.be

gratefully,

Justin

Manual mode is fully manual throttle. In non-manual mode the spring-centred throttle is very handy because the aircraft knows that centre = hover. Anything above centre is a climb, anything below is descend. In manual mode 50% may not be enough to maintain lift, or it may be too much. Depends on the aircraft (in manual mode on mine (I've only done very limited manual flying) 50% throttle is enough to initiate a take-off, for example).

Regarding RTH - it will work in atti mode provided you have set a home location and you have sufficient satellites. Otherwise it will do an autoland where it is. Manual mode I don't know, no experience of RTH in that mode. Someone else is bound to know...

Pull_Up said:
Manual mode is fully manual throttle. In non-manual mode the spring-centred throttle is very handy because the aircraft knows that centre = hover. Anything above centre is a climb, anything below is descend. In manual mode 50% may not be enough to maintain lift, or it may be too much. Depends on the aircraft (in manual mode on mine (I've only done very limited manual flying) 50% throttle is enough to initiate a take-off, for example).

Regarding RTH - it will work in atti mode provided you have set a home location and you have sufficient satellites. Otherwise it will do an autoland where it is. Manual mode I don't know, no experience of RTH in that mode. Someone else is bound to know...
thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic