P2V Tradecraft case at Airport

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm getting ready to travel this week for the first time with my P2V. Any suggestions on how to avoid hang ups at the Airport security line? I'm hoping I don't have to check my bag and I can just carry it on but I'm beginning to doubt that will happen. In the Tradecraft instructions it said if your checking your bag to keep your Lipos in your carry on. I hate to go through security and have them say that I can't take the Lipos with me. How many of you have traveled with your case and how did it go?

Venom93corba said:
Alright guys I'm getting ready to travel this week for the first time with my P2V. Any suggestions on how to avoid hang ups at the Airport security line? I'm hoping I don't have to check my bag and I can just carry it on but I'm beginning to doubt that will happen. In the Tradecraft instructions it said if your checking your bag to keep your Lipos in your carry on. I hate to go through security and have them say that I can't take the Lipos with me. How many of you have traveled with your case and how did it go?

I'm also interested to hear previous experience- taking my first trip domestically on Thursday, then International next Thursday... From what I've read, this is no problem, but MY LUCK: trouble at the front of the line- looking for some success stories?

:)

No problem, as in "Carry on - No problem"? Ideally I don't want this thing out of my site but if I gotta check it I will. I just found out today that my homeowners insurance covers it (minus the $500 deductible).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

All of you, carry on your Phantom case just like you'd carry on anything else. I just went to New York from Texas and back and didn't have a problem either way. They opened it, wiped a little piece of paper over the top of some items in the case, put that paper in a machine to test for explosive chemicals, and that was it. They didn't even take a single item out of my case. I had 2 batteries, remote, Phantom Vision, charger, USB cable, extra parts, and more in my case.

If you have the Tradecraft ToughCase, the only thing you NEED to do is remove the tiny rubber "O" ring from under the right side latch. Pop it out with the flathead screwdriver. I forgot to do this the first time and my case sucked itself in because of the pressure difference and it was really hard to open when we landed. The top of the case was completely warped inward, smashing down on my Phantom! Luckily, I had removed the props before I went on the trip.

So yeah, don't worry about security. It's a joke. I could have smuggled anything in that case under my Phantom or inside it and they wouldn't have known.

Venom93corba said:
Any problems getting the case in the over head compartment?

Nope, put it sideways and it fits in with room to spare actually. It's the perfect travel case!

For plane size and airport security reference, I flew Southwest Airlines, which only use Boeing 737 aircrafts, and flew out of Dallas Love Field into LaGuardia New York and back.

Just an update. Going through security was a breeze (although they did open and wipe it). And the case fit better in the overhead storage then my wife's bag did ha ha. Looks like there is room to spare. This was on a Delta 757 plane.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390496382005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390496382005.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 459
So ... noob here ... been lurking for a while, but now it's time to get serious :)

Do you like this case? Will the P2V fit *with* props attached, or do they need to be removed? Not a big deal - just asking mostly out of curiousity.

Thanks in advance!

YeeaaBoii said:
So yeah, don't worry about security. It's a joke. I could have smuggled anything in that case under my Phantom or inside it and they wouldn't have known.

Just to say... Before you get any funny ideas, your case was most certainly x-ray'd before being swabbed for explosive residue, and while they may not seem so, the TSA agents monitoring the X-ray, as well as the software, is trained to see things "hidden" under other things. Just .02.

FYI - from the e-how site:

Personal Items
Each passenger is allowed to bring on a carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, computer bag, briefcase or other small tote.

Size
Every airline is different when it comes to permitted carry-on baggage size, but generally they are within inches of each other. The average allowable size for a carry-on is a 22-inch bag, which is 22 inches tall, 14 inches wide and nine inches deep.

Weight
In addition to placing size limits on allowable carry on luggage items, some airline also place a weight limit. The maximum weight limit most major airlines allow as a carry-on varies, but on average it is around 30 to 40 pounds.

Update - here is a link that goes into more details - each airline is a bit different on size - so look up who you like to use as they vary a bit - probably varies by aircraft too - Southwest is easy because the 737's are all the same:

http://askville.amazon.com/size-carry-luggage-permitted-flights/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2612640

The foam in the lid MUST get trimmed in order to keep pressure off the props. It took me 10 minutes to do with a steak knife. Not hard at all and looks fine.

Venom93corba said:
The foam in the lid MUST get trimmed in order to keep pressure off the props. It took me 10 minutes to do with a steak knife. Not hard at all and looks fine.

Good to know ... Thanks!

Here was the finished product

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390665085035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390665085035.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 458
Edit....
Looking closer at your picture you have the propeller space too :)

Anyway, here is my "same" setup but with propellers off.

IMAG1158.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

Venom93corba said:
Here was the finished product

How did you manage to make the cut foam look so neat? The last time I tried to cut egg crate like foam in the same way (cut it to half thickness) for my case a couple of weeks ago it was a disaster and I gave up as it was very difficult to cut at same thickness.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik