P2V+ Replacement Lens Caps: Cheap and plentiful!

Reaction score
One of the first things I did was lose the lens cap for my P2V+.

Today, I stumbled across an über-cheap replacement...... the cap off a small can of propane sold at the local hardware store!

P2Vlenscap.jpg

A bit snug, but it's flexible enough to stretch and fit. And no, I didn't steal it... I had purchased a can last week for work and noticed the cap sitting on the dash of my van today. I thought, "Hmmm.... I wonder if this will fit my bird?"

Given the frailty of the gimbal, I am nervous even installing the lens cap (or gimbal lock) after a flight. From what I can see, that lens cap looks like you had to apply some serious pressure to get it on. I'd look for something a little closer to the exact size (I'm sure there are lots of options out there).

Here you can get the exact items (or very close facsimile) for $5:
http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/visio ... -cover.htm

No more pressure to apply than you would use to write with a ball-point pen.

slothead said:
Given the frailty of the gimbal, I am nervous even installing the lens cap (or gimbal lock) after a flight. From what I can see, that lens cap looks like you had to apply some serious pressure to get it on. I'd look for something a little closer to the exact size (I'm sure there are lots of options out there).

I know the feeling.
The force in my hands are like a vise so i must pay attention to it or the gimbal is messed up.
What i first did was to cut a section of the cap length.
The original cap length is way to long.
By reducing it by half the total amount of force to be used is far less then with the full length.
The gimbal clap falls off sometimes during transport in the hard case with the bike.
The reduced cap never did.
I cutted it away using a sharp hobby knife.

You could always try immersing the cap in hot water for a little while and gently stretch it that little bit before it cools and sets in its new size?

Even if it were slightly tight, it's nothing a little 320+ grit sandpaper wouldn't fix.

slothead said:

THANK YOU! I lost by lens cap AND the gimbal lock and was looking for where I could source a replacement! :)

The cap on a Coleman bottle of propane required just a bit too much force to get onto the lens. I used the sandpaper cylinder thingamajig that came with a Dremel accessories kit and used it to quickly reduce the wall thickness to where the cap easily slides onto the lens. Now, I can use the DJI cap (much better material) as the basis to make a slide-on lens shade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers