P2V+ Repair Advice

Reaction score
Comrades,
So my P2V+ piled into a cornfield yesterday (I have to believe it's pilot error, but it was an odd situation). The good news is that it was a pretty soft landing and there's no obvious damage to a lot of the quad.

The bad news is that when she came down two of the rotors kept spinning madly, the engines massively overheated, and there's serious melting of the plastic on one arm. The noise of the engines is how I found her in the corn.

Here's a Flickr gallery showing high res shots of the damaged arm. In fact both rear rotors are damaged, but the other one looks basically "normal" (but it now sort of grinds when you turn it manually).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48138772@N07/ax4qsC

I also included a shot of the wind turbine I was taking photos and video of. You can see it's surrounded by corn, and that's what I came down in (from a height of about 20 feet, not this high altitude).

Amazingly the quad boots up, and all the motors turn. So I'm assuming the ESCs are not damaged.

I found a great video on how to disassemble and replace the body shell, and I have one on order, along with two new motors (I know - the existing motors do actually work, but they got so hot I burned my fingers trying to take off the props from them I don't think I could trust them for future flights).

I was wondering - given I will be taking it apart completely, are there things I should do at the same time? There are no modifications right now. I checked out the WiFi heatsink mod, but it looked way too scary for me to tackle :)

Cheers,
Geoff

Better check those ESC as they can be damaged by the motors being overheated. When I replace a motor or ESC I change the other with it. I call it cheep insurance and give me peace of mind the next time I take off knowing it won't give out in the air since its new. ESC is $18-20 and motor around $25-30. The ole saying better safe than sorry applies.

Good advice, Roy. I have a P2V+ V3, but I'm not sure what version of ESCs I have. Let's say they are V1, but I buy V2 ESCs. Can I keep two motors on V1 and change the other two to V2?

In your model of Phantom you are going to have either version 2 or version 2.1 ESC's and either will work and mix ok. You have to have the same numeric number on all 4 motors. Happy flying!

Let us know if you get her back online and flying.

After a long gap I finally bit the bullet and started my rebuild. I've been flying some other quads and a helicopter in the meantime, but I want my Phantom airborne again now :)

Yesterday I took her apart and put all the insides back into the new fuselage, but there's one of the camera/gimbal cables that does not have a home anymore.

Photo 1 shows the cable itself.

Photo 2 shows the socket on the top of the camera unit that it fits perfectly. But I just don't know where the other end is supposed to go :)

Photo 3 shows the locations where the other two cables that connect to the camera are plugged into the motherboard, marked as 1 and 2.

There are two empty sockets on the board outlined in green in Photo 3, but I checked online images of the P2V+ board and they seem to be unused normally. I could be wrong about that because the cable does fit the left hand socket, which is marked "EXP" on my board. Maybe the cable had been removed in those online pictures.

One other question. I need to replace one of the motors. Roy already advised that I need to have the same model number motors on all four corners. I have ESC V2.1, (which I plan to replace at the same time as he advised) but none of the motors have visible model numbers, so I'm not sure what to order as a replacement.

Cheers,
Geoff

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG

image.jpg That looks like the video feed cable that plugs into the end of the wifi Tx module. Here's a photo if it helps.

Is that cable for sure, 6 wires cable with 6pin plug. It goes in WiFi where you have told. It is easy to recognize that cable coz it is the only one that has those thick barrel parts for radio interference.

Aha - I see the socket now - thanks to both of you!

Any thoughts on how I tell what kind of motor to order? My units have no visible part number.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik