P2V Recovered from a watery grave - now what?

Reaction score
I crashed my 2 month old P2V into the water about a week ago. With the tide coming in and it getting darker by the minute we were unable to find it that evening.

Today during a very low tide my wife spotted it but couldn't quite get to it. Someone with a kayak came to the rescue and now here it is.

Before the crash I had already ordered a new P2V+, but now that I have it back, what should I do with this ship?

After a week submerged in salt water there can't be many usable parts. Should I rebuild it? Part it out? Save it for spares? Sell it to someone as a rebuildable project? Any ideas or estimates?

Attachments

• 20140428_155116.jpg
    20140428_155116.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 437
Do not turn it on. Leave it out and maybe open the shell for a couple days. After this time, attempt to turn it on and see if it works. Most likely it won't, but worth the try. How much would you sell the broken Phantom for? I might be interested.

thedjiguy said:
Do not turn it on. Leave it out and maybe open the shell for a couple days. After this time, attempt to turn it on and see if it works. Most likely it won't, but worth the try. How much would you sell the broken Phantom for? I might be interested.

Good advice. No power for a week or so after it is all dried out. After being in salt water for a week, I figured I should rinse it in off with clean fresh water, then begin the drying process.

I don't know what something like this would be worth in this condition. I'll research that. Feel free to make an offer, too. Or perhaps you'll want to wait until what we find out when we power it up in a week or so.

It's more then likely totalled. However, you should soak it in fresh water, several times, with a final rinse with distiller water. You really want to get all the salt and debris out of it. I would put it in my oven at 125-150 degs F for a few hours, but I know my oven is precise, as I wouldn't want to expose the plastic to much higher temps...

AnselA said:
First thing after recovery from water should be to detach the battery. It may be too late now...

The battery is out now. After a rinse in the clean water all the muck washed away shell looks like new, except where the screws that hold the prop guards to the bottom of the motor have begun to rust.

I will rinse it clean, dry it out and maybe one day be brave enough to put power to again. I would be very surprised if at that time it does anything at all.

The good news is I was able to retrieve most of what was on the SD card. The last video file on the card had not finalized, so no crash video. I put the card in my replacement P2V and that didn't finalize that last video file as I had hoped.

Okay, I've decided I don't want this project. Someone else may, but it's not for me. I'll post this in the classified section as well.

I want to sell this 2 month old water damaged Phantom 2 Vision along with its like new transmitter, original box and everything that came with it. (I'll keep the prop guards)

Now listed in the classified section of this site

Attachments

• 20140428_193353.jpg
    20140428_193353.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 20140428_194223.jpg
    20140428_194223.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 20140428_194235.jpg
    20140428_194235.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 352
I saw another like yours up for sale a while ago... not sure what it went for. It was recovered from a small island in Florida. The CL ad was offering it to the original owner for free if they were to claim it, and if that didn't happen he was selling it to the highest bidder.

*If you are selling it here be sure to post in the classified section and not here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl