P2V Range Question

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my P2V to an RE700 and added a Stage 2 antenna kit. Took it out for it's first spin today, and while it's a definite improvement I'm not sure it's as much as it should be. I went out to a nice quiet area on the edge of a farmers field to do my test flight. Should be very minimal RF in the area and everything was clear and flat between the Phantom and myself. At an altitude of approx 100m I could get out approx 700m before losing video (I appeared to still have control however). I'm a little puzzled by this as I see other people getting out as far a 2km before losing video. Does this sound like a reasonable distance to others that have upgraded? Like I mentioned earlier, it's still a nice improvement... previously with the stock RE500 I could get to about maaaaaybe 300m before losing video and/or control.

Thanks for your input... Hopefully I can spend some time with it over the weekend and give it a fair shake. Todays the first day in **** near 3 weeks where the wind has dropped enough to even consider flying!

I was getting about the same range as you with comparable antenna. I've read where people get more range and some with less. Finally I went wild and added two 2.4ghz and one 5.8ghz pinwheel antennas to the bird. Plus added 2.4ghz amps and 5.8ghz amp. and another FPVLR helical half height. And don't let me forget two 12volt power packs to supply juice to everything. How far can I go now? I don't know. My 1.08 firmware shows 3200ft. then I get a n/a distance readout. :roll: One thing I can do is roam around out to about a mile with max. 50 meter altitude without any signal loss.

Overkill. Sure. But I want to fly as close to the ground as possible to see whats there without losing signal. You would be surprised what you find out in the desert. :shock:

Yes take dirkclod's advice, get a tracker and make sure it works good. It makes you feel so much better while flying long distance.

Checking RTH was one of the first things I did :) The majority of my flights are GS, but it's nice having the longer range when you just want to roam about. I'm already considering upgrading the bird side antennas but I'm not super thrilled at picking that epoxy off the antenna connections.

Getting the "Black Goo of Death" off is a job and a half. Bull, it is much more than that. I spent well over an hour with magnification, working carefully and still managed to kill the connector. Ended up purchasing a new board that was cleaned by the seller. Best of luck to you at getting that phase of upgrade done.

I did the bird and the range extender mod but I only get 250m max on wifi range p2v sucks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 487
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 436
keiji11 said:
I did the bird and the range extender mod but I only get 250m max on wifi range p2v sucks.
That is just not right. I agree with Dirk that you should get much more distance than that. One thing I can think about is it looks like you have an amp on the range extender. I can not see from your pictures if you have a recommended attentuator coming out of the extender. It has been discussed you can kill the amp by not having one in line. Some on here have stated they do not have one and have had no problem. Like always, what works for some does not work for others. When I put the RE-700 on my P2V it alone increased my FPV by over 800 feet. With all the FPVLR antennas and no amps I have been out 9,998 feet and still had FPV.
Another thing when you take pictures: Have a background that is not so "busy." It makes it harder to follow wires and other things.

thanks so much for your advice. does it make any difference which side on the range extender i plug my sunhans amp?

keiji11 said:
thanks so much for your advice. does it make any difference which side on the range extender i plug my sunhans amp?
Had to think about that one for a minute. I also corrected my post. It is the amp that the extender could kill or not.
From what I have seen in the past when only one mod is done to the extender the left connection was use mostly. Since you have both internal antennas running outside, it might not make any difference. I really do not know. Hope some one with that info may pop in and advise.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20