P2V photo - Gasworks Park, Seattle

Reaction score
Here's a photo I captured of Gasworks Park in Seattle. I didn't go up real high because I felt like this angle was pretty dramatic. I did some work on it in Photoshop. Even though the sensor is small in this camera, I think the possibilities are still huge, especially when support for RAW becomes available.

11969794065_90be264223_c.jpg

I'm always happy to share my techniques. It's not an HDR image but it has some of the characteristics of one.

I brought the jpeg into Photoshop and opened it up in the Camera RAW filter. I expanded the dynamic range by working on the sky and foreground separately. I then did a tiny adjustment for the fisheye barrel distortion and a little dodging and burning. So even though it's not a RAW image, you can use the RAW plugin in Photoshop to make some similar adjustments. The difference between manipulating an actual RAW image is that is it non-destructive whereas manipulating a JPEG degrades the quality and introduces artifacts.

Hope that makes sense.

"It's not an HDR image but it has some of the characteristics of one. I brought the jpeg into Photoshop and opened it up in the Camera RAW filter. I expanded the dynamic range by working on the sky and foreground separately"

Gotcha. Nice one! :)

It'll be soooo great when we get RAW working. Can't wait!

Really great photo - did you deliberately avoid using the full Adobe lens filter on the fisheye?

And sorry to hijack the thread, but for the life of me I can't spot how to change
the image capture mode to RAW instead of JPEG. I don't plan to do it until the
whole issue with using the RAW images is sorted - but keen to know.

Cheers

You can't open RAW images from the P2V yet. It's coming soon. The technique I am describing is a plugin inside Photoshop that allows you to open non-RAW images such as JPEGs. It is giving you access to the same kinds of tools as processing an actual RAW image but it is not the same thing.

El Rey said:
for the life of me I can't spot how to change the image capture mode to RAW instead of JPEG.

When you're all hooked up with your android/apple device connected and the camera app running, tap the settings button in the camera app and scroll through the options on the left.

[/quote]When you're all hooked up with your android/apple device connected and the camera app running, tap the settings button in the camera app and scroll through the options on the left.[/quote]

I thank you.

Incidentally, once you're able to process the Vision's RAW images, you can get a similar effect to the OP's photo as follows:

1. Shoot the image with an accurate exposure
2. Back at home, load the image, let's call it '1234.dng' into Photoshop and make any changes you think necessary for white balance. Now save the image as as a non destructive file type - e.g. '1234.psd'
3. Load the original image (1234.dng), make the identical white balance changes, and then increase the exposure by two stops. Save the result as a non destructive file type with a different file name - e.g. '1234-high2.psd'
3. Take '1234.dng', make the identical white balance changes, and increase the exposure by one stop and then save it as '1234-high1.psd'
4. Take '1234.dng', make the identical white balance changes, and decrease the exposure by two stops and then save it as '1234-low2.psd'
5. Take '1234.dng', make the identical white balance changes, and decrease the exposure by one stop and save it as '1234-low1.psd'

You now have five images, one which is two stops over-exposed, one which is one stop over-exposed, your correctly exposed image and two that are under-exposed by two stops and one stop respectively.

6. Load all five images into Photoshop and go to File . Automate > Merge to HDR Pro

Et voila, you just take it from there

The above process enables you to get fairly close to what you would normally achieve by bracketing your shots in camera when it's on a tripod, and is all due to the wonders of RAW.

Here is an example of the latter which was shot in poor lighting conditions (on a cold November morning!) . This is an HDR image made from five exposures, each one stop apart, shot from a tripod at 8 frames per second

_DSC8625.jpg

The model is Lise-Marie Albisu http://www.lise-marie-albisu.com

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20