P2V+ or P3S/A/P ?

Nes

Reaction score
hi, i'm planning to buy Phantom for some real estate photography and video. I don't really need 4k, possibly even 720p is enough.

= I'm new, and i'm afraid i may crash the drone.
= look for a easy solution, so P2V+ or any P3 will do.
= since i need to practice more, one extra battery would be great, 2 extra batteries is better
= for P3, batteries are expensive, but P2V+ can find some cheaper battery ($200 vs $60).
= On budget: this is a new business line with limited client for now, so better don't spend too much, and save some for my kid's milk ;-)
= Mostly flying outdoor, small range, just for bird view from top, 100M or less..?
= Not sure if wide angle is a blessing or curse for real estate aerial
= with all these considers.. i'm trying to get "just-enough" gear instead of the best gear.

what do you guys think?

The P3 standard will probably do you, if you can I'd probably buy the advanced though as you are going to love flying and will probably kick yourself in a few weeks that you don't have light bridge. The P3 without the fish eye lens will be much better for you too over the p2v+

Last edited:
Reactions: unclejas and Nes
The P3 standard will probably do you, if you can I'd probably but the advanced though as you are going to love flying and will probably kick yourself in a few weeks that you don't have light bridge. The P3 without the fish eye lens will be much better for you too over the p2v+
thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking the same about light bridge will help, plus better controller.

i'm thinking when i go for a job, i may first fly for few minutes to see best sport for video, then use auto pilot function to take video. In this case, what about the dual GPS thing and IR, etc position tech, will they help me in such cases?

Nes I think you'll be very pleased with the P3A or P3P. I currently have an AP business that is almost a year old and I've been able to produce quality work for local Realtors using just a Blade 350QX2 (uses WiFi for connection to camera). I can almost guarantee you'll find times with 100M just isn't enough and you'll wish you had gone with something with LightBridge included.

If $$ is really tight then opt for the P3A but also keep in mind you'll want extra batteries and a case is a big plus.

Reactions: Nes
It seems most people suggest me go for P3A if budget is okay. so, i'll choose between P3A and P2V+.
If i run the math, in my case, (10% discount and being in Canada), P3A and P2V+ both with one battery, is CA$1033 and CA$1576, are around CA$500 different. Thats 50% more :p

I've been debating between the same things the p2v+ still isn't at a price where it's worth it to me the p3a is the best on the market for me since I don't need 4k video and it has light bridge

Reactions: Nes
If you ever need it fixed you'll wish you didn't have either one!!!
That is very true... the proprietary camera fused into the P3/P2VP with a fragile gimbal and flimsy flex cable is the Achilles heel. Its even worse when you crack open a P3 and the find the ESC boards are incorporated as 1 main board. At least the P2VP was module so that you can change parts.

But in saying that, the P3A makes it very easy to fly (if you don't get overly cocky).
The P2VP is like a rollercoaster whereas the P3A is like bullet train. Its night and day!! The P3A just flows right - software and hardware, making the experience more enjoyable. The Lightbridge is a godsend with 720p streaming makes framing easy.

The P2VP was a great machine at the time, but very clunky. Wifi requires more setup and 1080p was woeful with heavy artefacts from high compression.

You will definitely get your moneys worth in the P3A, esp if they rollout the 2.7K camera resolution firmware. 1080p@60fps and 2.7k@30fps will be the sweet spot for most users.
Unless you are a real PRO, then get the 4K. I know most are future proofing, but can assure many cant keep airborne for that long :)
And don't get the P3S - its still old wifi tech borrowed from the P2VP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
hi, i'm planning to buy Phantom for some real estate photography and video. I don't really need 4k, possibly even 720p is enough.

= I'm new, and i'm afraid i may crash the drone.
= look for a easy solution, so P2V+ or any P3 will do.
= since i need to practice more, one extra battery would be great, 2 extra batteries is better
= for P3, batteries are expensive, but P2V+ can find some cheaper battery ($200 vs $60).
= On budget: this is a new business line with limited client for now, so better don't spend too much, and save some for my kid's milk ;-)
= Mostly flying outdoor, small range, just for bird view from top, 100M or less..?
= Not sure if wide angle is a blessing or curse for real estate aerial
= with all these considers.. i'm trying to get "just-enough" gear instead of the best gear.

what do you guys think?

I think the P3A/P quality is junk compared to gopro.. If you can go with a gopro ! Just my opinion

I think the P3A/P quality is junk compared to gopro.. If you can go with a gopro ! Just my opinion

I have both and I know the limitations on both.
Its actually more feasible now to have a P3A/P dedicated for aerial and a gopro for other purposes.
Why?? The P3A/P is value. The Lightbridge system alone is value.
My P2 H33D was great, but the time setup and launch was a bit cumbersome.

-2 x Antenna.
-mount screen with screw
-sun glare shield (the black pearl isn't bright enough).
-props
-check gopro
-hit record

The Black Pearl was always required. Nothing worse then forgetting to charge it (and yes I know you can run a 3s external).
The feed had good distance but it always had some sort of interference - you miss some details and only notice when you play back. Another was the 1 way coms. Yes you can get GS but you needed to spend another few bobs for the BTU2.4ghz.

If you asked me a year ago - gopro.. but now - the P3A/P hands down. It's just an amazing machine (if you don't crash).

Reactions: Meta4
But, there's no way to fly and control a Gopro anywhere near as well as the P3 flies or controls, so you can put your Gopro away and use it for other things.
For now, nothing in the air is coming close to the Phantom 3.

That is very true... the proprietary camera fused into the P3/P2VP with a fragile gimbal and flimsy flex cable is the Achilles heel. Its even worse when you crack open a P3 and the find the ESC boards are incorporated as 1 main board. At least the P2VP was module so that you can change parts.

But in saying that, the P3A makes it very easy to fly (if you don't get overly cocky).
The P2VP is like a rollercoaster whereas the P3A is like bullet train. Its night and day!! The P3A just flows right - software and hardware, making the experience more enjoyable. The Lightbridge is a godsend with 720p streaming makes framing easy.

The P2VP was a great machine at the time, but very clunky. Wifi requires more setup and 1080p was woeful with heavy artefacts from high compression.

You will definitely get your moneys worth in the P3A, esp if they rollout the 2.7K camera resolution firmware. 1080p@60fps and 2.7k@30fps will be the sweet spot for most users.
Unless you are a real PRO, then get the 4K. I know most are future proofing, but can assure many cant keep airborne for that long :)
And don't get the P3S - its still old wifi tech borrowed from the P2VP.

I keep coming back to this specific post. I am also in the market for a Phantom and I can't make up my mind between a P2V+3.0, P2+GoPro, or P3A. I have NO experience flying Phantoms but I have a parrot bebop 1, a micro drone (both piloted by smartphone) and a trillion video game hours under my belt.

I see that you said: "...at least the p3vp was modular so you could change parts". this is what is still putting me towards that model; are there many pieces that can be used to upgrade the p2v+?. Plus, it is still expensive...why? I like the idea of having a gopro separate but I'm not doing anything more than getting into this hobby for now. What would you suggest?

I keep coming back to this specific post. I am also in the market for a Phantom and I can't make up my mind between a P2V+3.0, P2+GoPro, or P3A. I have NO experience flying Phantoms but I have a parrot bebop 1, a micro drone (both piloted by smartphone) and a trillion video game hours under my belt.

I see that you said: "...at least the p3vp was modular so you could change parts". this is what is still putting me towards that model; are there many pieces that can be used to upgrade the p2v+?. Plus, it is still expensive...why? I like the idea of having a gopro separate but I'm not doing anything more than getting into this hobby for now. What would you suggest?

If you are in the US and happen to live near a Microcentre store... go grab a P3P or P3A. They are cheap in the US compared to Aus. We have crap exchange rates and its marked up about an extra 20%.
Even though the P3 has integrated main and ESC boards, its very reliable provided you don't crash. Had mine since April 2015 and she still flies fine with the original props. Don't get the P2 as they are obsolete and parts are becoming hard to find. I fried my wifi module on the P2Vplus+GoPro and it cost $190 USD for a new module. And besides gopro fisheye is so 90's.

I managed to win a P3A on eBay. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic