P2V Max Range

Reaction score
I owned the original Phantom for more than a year. I just purchased a P2V and could not be happier. I understand the max range for WiFi purposes is 300m. I also understand I do not want to go above 400'. That said if I were not concerned with either of these limits, just how far distance wise could my P2V go and still be under pilot control?

Lots of variables, particularly the geometry of the angles between your controller and Phantom antennas.
But you'll probably get 5-600 metres when things are right, sometimes more and other times, less.

I lost picture on 150m because of big tree and when picture loses and after few sec I get black picture so i must land and restart p2v to get picture again.... That hapened a few times... So i dont fly more than 150-200m from me.... I got advice form one member to upgrade wifi antenna.... so it will be First thing after gimbal install

I lost picture on 150m because of big tree and when picture loses and after few sec I get black picture so i must land and restart p2v to get picture again.... That hapened a few times... So i dont fly more than 150-200m from me.... I got advice form one member to upgrade wifi antenna.... so it will be First thing after gimbal install
You go behind any tree's ya gonna lose signal WD . Depending on how much distance I wanted I would suggest getting a RE700 extender to start with .Then go from there .
Have been there..done about all I could for distance keeping FPV .
JIMO

From what I have read here, if I buy the RE700 WiFi extender for my P2V (folks are saying it's totally compatible with the P2V) I can increase my range 3 fold? Amazon has the OEM for $129. Is that a good deal and a good way to go? DJI wants $189.

From what I have read here, if I buy the RE700 WiFi extender for my P2V (folks are saying it's totally compatible with the P2V) I can increase my range 3 fold? Amazon has the OEM for $129. Is that a good deal and a good way to go? DJI wants $189.
Folks not just saying but I have been using one for a year . Distance depends on a lot of things . I could see farther than my 5.8 would let me go .
Seems like I have seen them cheaper than that but can't remember where . I ditched the 500 way back. I also use the Plus's TX and like it a lot better with the scroll wheel and internal battery . I would ask in classifieds for one before I paid that being most are going to the P3 now .

So if you have. A pv2 u can used a 700 instead of the 500 and even use the Plus tx also ?
Correct . Is what I use .
And sorry I didn't see this earlier .Alerts not so good sometimes :)

Just bound my new RE700 with my P2V. Best $129 I've spent recently. My max range went from 300m to 700m. Why would a drone pilot not upgrade?

Reactions: dirkclod
Just bound my new RE700 with my P2V. Best $129 I've spent recently. My max range went from 300m to 700m. Why would a drone pilot not upgrade?
Is slick huh :)

What is the difference between an antenna upgrade and a WiFi extender upgrage? I thought the antenna upgrade was for more range.

What is the difference between an antenna upgrade and a WiFi extender upgrage? I thought the antenna upgrade was for more range.
Wifi is for your FPV and changing to the RE700 from the stock 500 ( which are antennas ) will give you better distance to see farther .
The antenna on the TX is 5.8 and is for the control of your bird .
Make sense ?

Wifi is for your FPV and changing to the RE700 from the stock 500 ( which are antennas ) will give you better distance to see farther .
The antenna on the TX is 5.8 and is for the control of your bird .
Make sense ?
Sort of. The installation instructions for the antennas show modifications to both the tx and the wifi units. I'd hate to modify the stock wifi unit just to find out I have to modify it again when I upgrade unit because I can now out-fly my video range. Does this mean it is suggested to do both mods at the same time?

Sort of. The installation instructions for the antennas show modifications to both the tx and the wifi units. I'd hate to modify the stock wifi unit just to find out I have to modify it again when I upgrade unit because I can now out-fly my video range. Does this mean it is suggested to do both mods at the same time?
It depends . How far do you want to fly out ?
If you add the 700 you will see in FPV farther than your controller (5.8 ) will let you go . Like you will be going out and lose signal to your bird but beable to see it stop ,turn around and come back .
If you want to go farther than that then you need to mod your TX also . (stage 2 ) or just try and go the cheapest way and add a windsurfer one
to help some .
Ya can look in my search in my signature for ..windsurfer antennas and see how bunch's do it .

It depends . How far do you want to fly out ?
If you add the 700 you will see in FPV farther than your controller (5.8 ) will let you go . Like you will be going out and lose signal to your bird but beable to see it stop ,turn around and come back .
If you want to go farther than that then you need to mod your TX also . (stage 2 ) or just try and go the cheapest way and add a windsurfer one
to help some .
Ya can look in my search in my signature for ..windsurfer antennas and see how bunch's do it .
Wind surfer antennas only gonna help your 5.8 signal not FPV .

Actually I was looking at the Itelite antenna but that may be on hold until I figure out what I want to accomplish.
That's a good one and have one . I have the FPVLR's on right now .
The dbs is a great 100.00 investment !

Any recommendations on what to do if video reaches 3000' some days and other days 1800'. The control signal rarely drops. Only has happened 2 times since I owned my p2v. I fly using a re700 and a pvt581 remote.

The video usually gets laggy or breaks at around 2200-2800'. However a few times I have been able to push out to 3800'.

It seems to mainly be the video connection to me that fails as I can still see the phantom and guide it back visually if needed.
I fly in the mountains.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj