P2V Lens filter (#27) Prop Guard (#28) and filters weights

tcg

Reaction score
Hello -
Just received a gift a prop guard, lens filter attachment and some filters from a real photographer (he found out I I have a P2V). I know less than nothing about cameras and filters other than to take off the lens cap so please don't ask me camera questions.

I remember seeing a post about the lens filter attachment for the P2V and folks asking for weights. I used a decent scale (borrowed the wife's weight-watcher scale) but it is only accurate to +/- 1 gram.

DJI Phantom 2 with no battery weighed in at 28.1 oz or 796grams
DJI Phantom 2 battery weighted in at 12.70oz or 362grams

DJI Phantom 2 prop guards (part #28) 3.6oz or 102grams (4 guards, screws and some string)
(string is used for protection under the guards - not sure about that but will find out!)

DJI Phantom 2 vision Part #27 (includes frame, rubber grommet and two long screws)
0.45oz or 12.0 grams

Polaroid 3-piece special effect filter kit
"4 point star effect" lens .45oz or 13gram
"soft focus filter" lens .40oz or 11gram
"warming" filter lens .30oz or 8 gram

AGFA photo 3-piece professional filter kit
UV filter lens .40oz or 12gram
Circular Polarizer .55oz or 14gram
Warming lens .30oz or 8gram

I noticed the soft filter and UV lens both weigh in at .40oz but differ in grams - I weighed them both 5 times and got the same result. I'm betting that's the accuracy limit of the scale. I'm also betting if you are concerned about 1-2 grams this post was useless anyway! LOL

Looks like the warming lens is the same from both sets, it will be fun to see if both produce the same results.
I'm excited about the polarizer 'cuz it says to use it to remove unwanted reflections from non-metal (like water and glass) so I'm hoping to be able to see into calm shallow water such as lakes and ponds. I'm not brave enough to fly over water yet so it will be from the shore!!

Can't say the 4-star effect sounds like something I will use but it's cool to have.
Can't say the soft-focus sounds interesting - I'm still at the soft-focus=blurry stage in my photography! -- Also don't think i'll be doing many portrait photos from my phantom! LOL

If the weather ever cooperates and I get to fly again I'll try to take some photos using all the different lenses and post for your perusal.

thanks to all that post good information, hope this helps someone.

TCG

Re: P2V Lens filter (#27) Prop Guard (#28) and filters weigh

What's your favorite filter for photography. How does it work on the vision. (I kid, kid)

I have the _exact_ same set-up. I appreciate the info. I have been wondering.

Mosleyh said:
Don't forget to black- out the camera face if you plan to use filters. The reflections get ugly.

Like this: http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom.php.

A lens hood isn't a bad idea either.

I bought some of those stickers and they do fit nicely. I haven't had a chance to test the results yet, but expect good things.

SlackerATX said:
Mosleyh said:
Don't forget to black- out the camera face if you plan to use filters. The reflections get ugly.

Like this: http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom.php.

A lens hood isn't a bad idea either.

I bought some of those stickers and they do fit nicely. I haven't had a chance to test the results yet, but expect good things.

I can report they work as advertised. Before them I got bad halo artefacts using a circ pol, After applying the matte black, nothing at all - all sorted.

You already have a soft focus filter. It's the LENS!!! LOL!!!

There are probably some uses for these in 2014, but I can't think what they might be:

"4 point star effect" lens .45oz or 13gram
"soft focus filter" lens .40oz or 11gram
"warming" filter lens .30oz or 8 gram
UV filter lens .40oz or 12gram
Warming lens .30oz or 8gram

The polariser, on the other hand, can improve your video and photographs.

Here's my 2 centimes on the subject of filters:

You really need only two types of filter: a polarising filter and, possibly, a neutral density filter. The latter (ND filter) comes in two types, normal and graduated. Graduated ND filters are darker at the top and clear at the bottom (with a graduated transition in between). A graduated ND filter is handy when you have bright skies which you want to 'darken' without affecting the exposure of the landscape. They need to be carefully aligned to be really useful. Ordinary ND filters would be of no use on the P2V as they are designed simply to cut down the amount of light entering the lens (necessary if you want to use slow shutter speeds in bright light).

A polarising filter, when correctly aligned in bright sunlight, enhances colour and contrast. In particular, it makes blue skies much bluer and, as a consequence, emphasises clouds. The greens of foliage and grass also become more vibrant and, consequently, outdoor images in sunlight are altogether generally more 'punchy'. A polarising filter is therefore extremely useful for landscape photography (and hence, for P2V images!)

A polarising filter is also useful for removing unwanted reflections from water and glass and from many non-metallic reflective surfaces such as leaves.

The filter is fitted into a mount; you then rotate the filter in the mount whilst looking through the viewfinder until you see the point when the optimum polarising effect is achieved (but on an P2V you'd obviously use your LCD to set this up - but read on because there's a caveat.....

As far as skies are concerned, polarising filters work best when the camera is pointed 90 degrees from the sun. Straight into the sun, or straight away from it, you'll see little, if any, effect. At angles in between you'll see varying degrees of darkening. On very wide angle lenses you can actually see the variance, and this can be a real problem because the phenomena produces an unnatural image with deep blue sky in one part of the image and washed out sky in another, and therefore this is something you need to be careful of when shooting super-wide. In other words, if you're using a polarising filter on a P2V, you'd probably want to go into the app and reduce your angle of view.

Any other effect - and there were dozens of effects filters in the days of film (just like the ones you listed) - you can probably achieve in Photoshop, which is why I say that all the other filters you have are of no practical use.

DON'T use a 'protective' filter (skylight, UV) as this will do nothing for your image except degrade it (risking flare and reducing contrast in your image/footage)

As to weight, I had a P2V but sent it back and, as of this weekend, I'll be flying a P2 with a Sony RX100 slung beneath. Weight was a big concern for me (my rig will be 1.45 kg gross) but I've been reassured by experienced flyers on this forum that the P2 will fly well (albeit a little more sedately) even at 1.5 kg.

@ Peter Evans: At the risk of (temporarily) hijacking the thread, I'll be interested to hear more about your experience flying an RX100 on a P2. Details please!

Mosleyh said:
@ Peter Evans: At the risk of (temporarily) hijacking the thread, I'll be interested to hear more about your experience flying an RX100 on a P2. Details please!

No problem; just keep an eye on this thread over on the Non-Vision forum
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10784

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31