P2V Groundstation Waypoints cache question...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm using a Nexus 7 (first gen) with a P2V that's fully updated. I went to get some video of a golf course today and forgot to put the area in cache. :eek: :oops:

My questions are:
How long does a cached area stay in cache?
If you reboot the tablet, I take it the cache is gone?
How granular should you look at the area in order to get an appropriate altitude cached?
How much can you actually cache at one sitting? If you're headed out to multiple locations, for instance?

I've previously cached an area and thinking it would stay there for a bit, didn't cache it the next time I went. It wasn't there for me. I almost never turn the Nexus off, it pretty much lives on the charger when not in use...

Tanx...
-slinger

Hey Slinger, I also have the Nexus 7.
There are two ways to save the maps... Google lets you name them, i dont know how long they last or how many can be saved at any given time.
But you MUST zoom all the way in on the map you want to save. I tried to cover a larger area by not zooming in all the way and its just a blurry image. When you open your map program, If you click on the little man avatar, it will take you to offline saved maps. There you can select any map you have saved and named.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
Hey Slinger, I also have the Nexus 7.
There are two ways to save the maps... Google lets you name them, i dont know how long they last or how many can be saved at any given time.
But you MUST zoom all the way in on the map you want to save. I tried to cover a larger area by not zooming in all the way and its just a blurry image. When you open your map program, If you click on the little man avatar, it will take you to offline saved maps. There you can select any map you have saved and named.

The Rookie

Ahh... Kewl. That's the part I was missing. :)

I'd read in another post about typing "OK MAP" into the search window and clicking on the spy glass. This allows you to save that map. What you just supplied was "how to open the fiazuckin' map" :lol:

Which I planned on surfing around for this morning. Thanks for saving me the time...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Ahh... Kewl. That's the part I was missing. :)

I'd read in another post about typing "OK MAP" into the search window and clicking on the spy glass. This allows you to save that map. What you just supplied was "how to open the fiazuckin' map" :lol:

Which I planned on surfing around for this morning. Thanks for saving me the time...

-slinger
Another thing you can try. Is save multiple OVERLAPPING maps and name them therby giving you a larger area cached. Of course the waypoint app will still only use one map at a time, but you'll have more local areas cached to choose from.
I wish Google would let the 'user' define the map size in megabytes.

What I was initially doing, was going to the map of the area I wanted to shoot and bringing it down to the lowest altitude. I wasn't saving anything. I'd get to the shooting site and the map would be there. The next time, I'd go to the same shooting site and ... nada.

Is this actually fully documented? If it is, I missed it and need to go back and read that whole section of the manual again... :shock:

-slinger

I'm not sure the Google maps requirement is documented in the manual. Although typing in, "ok maps" in the google maps program will prompt you to save it.
That should be all that's required. Even on a wifi only tablet as long as you have an internet connection.

It will also save "multiple maps by the same name". So remember to delete the old map before re-saving another, As it will not "overwrite" as it were.

I also have a Samsung S3 phone. I've been in your situation once also. I used my Phone as a hot spot to connect and download the necessary map to my tablet. Otherwise, I'd have had to go home to do it.

Ive currently got 4 maps saved and after my tablet reboots..my maps are still there. There is a notification of X days left. So I assume after 30 days the maps are discarded automatically by the google map program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20