P2V+ GPS Problems

Reaction score
Not sure what version my P2V+ is but it is not a V3. It will intermittently only acquire 6 sats at startup on the ground and frequently drops to six sats while airborne after previously acquiring 7 or more. It will drop at least one satellite every time I start the movie camera.
I dug through all the threads and started by re positioning the cable under the original shield with no help. I then installed the foil mod with no help. I then installed 4mm Taoglas module per a thread recommendation with no help but it appears I may have used the wrong module. I used Taoglas P/N CGGP.25.4.A.2 (Digikey P/N 931-1126-ND) but this is a Glasnos module running at 1575.42mhz.
Another thread mentions Taoglas P/N GP 1575.25.4.A.02 (Digikey P/N 931-1015-ND) which is a slightly lower frequency of 1575 mhz.
Can someone clarify which module I should be using on a P2V+? I also have another P2V+ only this is a V3 and it has no problems with satellites in the same location.My P3P will get 14 to 16 sats in the same position. Also anyone have a source for the very small low quality mounting screws for the gps board?
Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Bob looks like you are ok with that antenna. May be an issue with the module itself rather than the antenna, hate to say it. If you have the time and don't mind the effort take the v3 shell and plug into the v2 quad and see if the satellites are good then. That will tell you if it the GPS module in the v2 or not.

"Bob looks like you are ok with that antenna. May be an issue with the module itself rather than the antenna, hate to say it. If you have the time and don't mind the effort take the v3 shell and plug into the v2 quad and see if the satellites are good then. That will tell you if it the GPS module in the v2 or not."

+1
to RoyVa post and suggestion.

swapping tops will define problem for sure!

1126 chip is perfectly fine--I have used both you listed

good luck and have fun flying!

robsquad:
Thank you for the video's and the link.
RoyVa/kirk2579:
My P2V+ V3 is a virgin but will swap top when time permits. Any link/source for just the module and the mounting screws? What is it the P3 has to give me a consistent 16 sats in same location?

The P3P will get lock double the satellites because it is accessing double the satellites. It has access to the Glonass (Russian GPS) system too.

Re the screws - yeah those GPS screws are tiny, aren't they? I think they are the tiniest screws on the aircraft. I bought an entire set right here (for my Vision) which should include them (I'm guessing the Vision and Vision+ are the same): Amazon.com: Genuine DJI Phantom 2 Vision Part #21 Screw Pack -US Dealer: Toys & Games

Marknmd-Thanks for the link.

Today I started by testing my P2v+ V3 and it had 8 before launch and went to 10 airborne. Just a few moments later tested the problem P2V+ V2 in the same location. Started with 6 sats then went to 8 at which time I launched. At 300' it went to ten then briefly back to 7 then to ten. The second time I flew it dipped to six very briefly at 120' then back to 8-9. Totally confused at this point. Tested both units using boost mode with the FPV Booster app because that is what I've used for some time.

I don't know. There is a slight possibility you happened to have satellites on the horizon, you know? So if you're in a hilly area, those satellites will come in and out depending on your location relative to whatever hills is blocking the horizon near the satellites. You can check this by going to uavforecast.com and using the GPS elevation mask tool. If you're in a really hilly area and kind of in a valley, you'd want to use a higher number there. If you're in the middle of a flat desert, you'd want zero. It's a nice tool because if you swap in some numbers and the visible satellites changes dramatically, you know there are several satellites on the horizon and they may not be reliable locks if you're in a hilly area.

Or you could have an issue with your connection to the GPS module.

Or you could have a bad GPS module as Rob suggested above.

robsquad:
Thank you for the video's and the link.
RoyVa/kirk2579:
My P2V+ V3 is a virgin but will swap top when time permits. Any link/source for just the module and the mounting screws? What is it the P3 has to give me a consistent 16 sats in same location?

nice thing about swap is only 1 connection--the gps,
don't even need to reassemble to test just, just plug in good topin and set out side and fire it up.

the module runs about 170 new
phantom gps module | B&H Photo Video

Marknmd-Thanks for the link.

Today I started by testing my P2v+ V3 and it had 8 before launch and went to 10 airborne. Just a few moments later tested the problem P2V+ V2 in the same location. Started with 6 sats then went to 8 at which time I launched. At 300' it went to ten then briefly back to 7 then to ten. The second time I flew it dipped to six very briefly at 120' then back to 8-9. Totally confused at this point. Tested both units using boost mode with the FPV Booster app because that is what I've used for some time.

the fpv boost mode is to increase wifi transmit output for the video to phone.

if you are not flying long distance you may want to re think using that.
the p2's are known for overheating wifi modules on the quad, esp early version(but all do).
by running the wifi at higher transmit level(boost) you may damage the wifi unit prematurely.

also I am curious what FW in each p2
they modified something in gps fw between 3.08 and 3.14---IE 3.08 better gps for me than 3.12/14

good luck and have fun flying!

Marknmd:
I'm in a remote area of Alaska on flat tundra but mountains about 20 miles away. I test for sats with a my ipad app tied to an xgps150 and it shows plenty of sats during period in question. I ordered the gps module on ebay will take quite a while before I get it.
kirk2579
I've tested it without FPV boost most of the time but tried the boost just to aggravate a failure. Both the V2 and V3 are at 3.14

Not sure what version my P2V+ is but it is not a V3. It will intermittently only acquire 6 sats at startup on the ground and frequently drops to six sats while airborne after previously acquiring 7 or more. It will drop at least one satellite every time I start the movie camera.
I dug through all the threads and started by re positioning the cable under the original shield with no help. I then installed the foil mod with no help. I then installed 4mm Taoglas module per a thread recommendation with no help but it appears I may have used the wrong module. I used Taoglas P/N CGGP.25.4.A.2 (Digikey P/N 931-1126-ND) but this is a Glasnos module running at 1575.42mhz.
Another thread mentions Taoglas P/N GP 1575.25.4.A.02 (Digikey P/N 931-1015-ND) which is a slightly lower frequency of 1575 mhz.
Can someone clarify which module I should be using on a P2V+? I also have another P2V+ only this is a V3 and it has no problems with satellites in the same location.My P3P will get 14 to 16 sats in the same position. Also anyone have a source for the very small low quality mounting screws for the gps board?
Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Just contact Buzzcam Home , [email protected] , and get the new GLONASS/GPS module for £65.00 plus postage for the Phantom 2V+ it is fantastic.

Regards

Malek

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj