P2V+ Gimbal

Reaction score
How tough or fragile is the P2V+ gimbal?

I worry sometimes about it getting knocked as it lands, or leaving the plastic bracket on for too long after switching it on. Even fitting or removing that bracket, I worry I'm going to damage the gimbal.

I also noticed that filming is steady when it's facing forwards, but tilting it down makes it jerky, even if tilted only say 20 degrees. But that makes sense because the further downwards it is tilted, the less compensation there is for any lateral (or banking) movement.

My filming is always steady -- even when the camera is facing downward. Did you crash your Phantom?

It's incredibly flimsy. Generally one crash and you are toast. I almost always hand catch because even a little tip-over on landing can wreck it.

But if you transport it with the gimbal clamp in place (and remember to remove it before powering up) and don't crash you will be fine.

:D
If your video seems jerky, you might have the FPV checked in the camera settings. Turn that off, and fly smoothly, should help!

Yes, the camera and gimbal are fragile. You should get a camera guard and a gimbal guard and hand catch.

I lay the bird on its right side with the camera facing me to install/remove the gimbal lock. Gets easier with practice.

I really need to get a gimal lock, as I transport mine in the box it came with. Does everyone use the lock when transporting?

.....leaving the plastic bracket on for too long after switching it on.
Instructions (pg. 14) are to remove the gimbal lock before powering on. Once powered on it will operate the gimbal motors and settle out in it's normal position. Watch the gimbal start up for proper operation. The camera should settle into a stable horizontal position after a short period. If it can't do this boot check then the motors are over stressed and may be eventually damaged. The gimbal will be all floppy before powering on, and this is normal. I wouldn't violently shake the Phantom without the Gimbal lock in place if power is not on, though swapping a battery is generally fine unless it is hard to remove (they tend to be) and you tend to jerk the bird around a bunch when taking the battery out, then it is wise to put the gimbal lock on while changing the battery.

Always get in the habit and replace the Gimbal lock and lens cover when done flying or transporting in the case to protect the gimbal and lens. Once used to installing/removing it it is easy to use.

Get a gimbal saver!!
If you have a really hard landing or crash the gimbal will come apart. I use this one: http://www.djiphantomfix.com/apps/webst ... ow/5280874 as it is really light weight and strong and looks like it will do what it is made to do There are others available so check them out https://www.phantomhelp.com/
A camera guard wouldn't hurt either.

You shouldn't be crashing on landing as phantoms are really easy to land but things happen sometimes. I would learn to hand catch and get used to doing that. It is really easy and comes in really handy at times.

PhilD13 said:
.....leaving the plastic bracket on for too long after switching it on.
Instructions (pg. 14) are to remove the gimbal lock before powering on. Once powered on it will operate the gimbal motors and settle out in it's normal position. Watch the gimbal start up for proper operation. The camera should settle into a stable horizontal position after a short period. If it can't do this boot check then the motors are over stressed and may be eventually damaged. The gimbal will be all floppy before powering on, and this is normal. I wouldn't violently shake the Phantom without the Gimbal lock in place if power is not on, though swapping a battery is generally fine unless it is hard to remove (they tend to be) and you tend to jerk the bird around a bunch when taking the battery out, then it is wise to put the gimbal lock on while changing the battery.

Always get in the habit and replace the Gimbal lock and lens cover when done flying or transporting in the case to protect the gimbal and lens. Once used to installing/removing it it is easy to use.

Get a gimbal saver!!
If you have a really hard landing or crash the gimbal will come apart. I use this one: http://www.djiphantomfix.com/apps/webst ... ow/5280874 as it is really light weight and strong and looks like it will do what it is made to do There are others available so check them out https://www.phantomhelp.com/
A camera guard wouldn't hurt either.

You shouldn't be crashing on landing as phantoms are really easy to land but things happen sometimes. I would learn to hand catch and get used to doing that. It is really easy and comes in really handy at times.

I'm going to order a gimbal guard. What about a camera guard? Is bumping the cam a common problem with most Plus owners? How much weight do these two guards add?

I did not weigh the one I bought but it is only a few ounces at most. The others that replace the gimbal back plate or screw on to the back plate would weigh a bit more. I don't think any are going to significantly alter your flight time. The camera protector (http://www.uavbits.net/store/p4/Carbon_ ... _P2V_.html) is a good idea and it also provides a place to secure other things you may eventually want. The carbon fiber version is lighter in weight than the clear plastic one. I doubt you would notice any change in flight time with both installed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20