P2V+ Gimbal Motor Error, software caused?? Help!

Reaction score
Flew my new Phantom 2 Vision Plus again yesterday, with no issues at all, pictures and video came out fine.

Today, in the office only, I removed gimbal clamp and connected P2V+ to mobile App to synch pics, no issues.

Next, I attempted to connect the P2V+ to my PC, following directions in manual. Removed gimbal clamp, power on units, launch software, connect USB via port in airframe, wait for green and blue lights. Green and blue lights never appeared, waited several minutes, powered everything off.

Tried again hour later, and before I was able to connect USB, I noticed camera was acting odd. So, I launched app, got gimbal motor error.

I did not harm unit, it has been in my custody the entire time, safe in original box, with lid on box. Collision is not cause. When power is off camera floats on all three gimbal axis fine, no apparent physical issues.

Lastly, I did notice discrepancy between software I was running and manual. The software I was running said "Phantom 2" upper left, while manual says "Phantom 2 Vision +" on figure 10.3 in manual. Yet I checked link on DJI site and software links appear same.

Help!

Uninstalled and reinstalled P2V+ software, no difference. Still says "Phantom 2"

I can hear a scratchy sound as gimbal moves around, error message still there. Gimbal no longer smooth.

I been getting the same error, ever since I got out of the box.
Upgraded all the software to the latest versions (two files) didn't seem to help.
seems to be worse when cameras is level down to 45° and clears up from 45 to 90

I have opened a ticket with DJI (California) asking them if there's a way to calibrate the gamble.

same here....flew it once...did the upgrade and while doing the upgrade it stuck in the upgrade mode and the gimbal kept moving around erratically....tried to do another upgrade, said it was successful but now the gimbal bounces around all over the place and never quits. i have tried contacting dji with no response.

Go to the assistant software, click Upgrade. Click Gimbal version and update.
Failing that, load a different firmware version, like 1.08 and "upgrade to that". Then back to 3.2 if you'd like. It should fix your issues.

I am having the same problem, as soon as i received the PV2+ i updated everything and changed all my mods to what i wanted, charged my wifi extender, once i had done all that it was dark so i thought i would just test the app/gimbal controls, when i have the app on and use the pitch control i get the same error.

DrJoe said:
Go to the assistant software, click Upgrade. Click Gimbal version and update.
Failing that, load a different firmware version, like 1.08 and "upgrade to that". Then back to 3.2 if you'd like. It should fix your issues.
Sure? Can anyone confirm this?

hwb2107 said:
Folks, I've had horrible luck with the firmware upgrade. Went from 3.0 to 3.2 and upon upgrading, my gimbal acts incredibly erratic.

Here is video: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-wM87KHss[/youtube]

I've downgraded to 1.08 and upgraded back multiple times now. When I first downgraded from 3.2 to 1.08, it fixed about 50% - 75% of the problem. Before, the camera was acting so erratically that it was banging hard into the sides and getting so hot that it would burn my fingers. However, it still won't behave normally and won't balance at all.

The unit is in pristine condition - not a single bruise or mark on it. Everything else works perfectly - ability to record, fly, etc. I have performed all calibrations, checked all cables, etc. This happened immediately following the firmware upgrade - not a flight, so it's almost certainly software caused.

I'm working with Dave's Discount Motors (where I purchased it from) on trying to get a solution, and they have been helpful so far. Will keep you guys updated on how things progress.
Does the video show before the downgrade or after with 50-70% improvement?
Hope you find some solution to this!

I downgraded to 1.08 2 flights in after I had a "descend on its own and recovery by me using s1" scare. I know one should never say never, but I will NEVER update my firmware.

this is new to me...first major issue was flyaway..not this gimbal when upgrade :cry: :cry: . I did my upgrade to the latest version recently but no issue on the gimbal, yet. it still works normally.

hwb2107 said:
Folks, I've had horrible luck with the firmware upgrade. Went from 3.0 to 3.2 and upon upgrading, my gimbal acts incredibly erratic.

Here is video: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-wM87KHss[/youtube]

I've downgraded to 1.08 and upgraded back multiple times now. When I first downgraded from 3.2 to 1.08, it fixed about 50% - 75% of the problem. Before, the camera was acting so erratically that it was banging hard into the sides and getting so hot that it would burn my fingers. However, it still won't behave normally and won't balance at all.

The unit is in pristine condition - not a single bruise or mark on it. Everything else works perfectly - ability to record, fly, etc. I have performed all calibrations, checked all cables, etc. This happened immediately following the firmware upgrade - not a flight, so it's almost certainly software caused.

I'm working with Dave's Discount Motors (where I purchased it from) on trying to get a solution, and they have been helpful so far. Will keep you guys updated on how things progress.

Ive had almost exact same problem and no idea how to fix this. Please let us know if you're dealer helps. No luck getting a hold of DJI either. Currently in queue and waiting on response via email.

Hey guys,

Just in case no one has figured this out yet... I was having the same problem described in this thread and I noticed that there was a small amount of slop between the Pitch gimbal motor and the camera assembly itself. This will drive the sensors crazy. I removed the U-shaped protective cover from around the shaft of camera assembly, Gently moved the ribbon cable out of the way and tightened the Phillips set screw. After putting the cover back in place and turning the Phantom on, the problem was gone and has not returned.
I hope this helps someone out there.

Hi DLAT I have removed the U shaped cover and moved the ribbon cable out of the way but can't see where the set screw.

Where about is the screw in relation to the cameras body eg. top/bottom/left side ect.

DLAT said:
Hey guys,

Just in case no one has figured this out yet... I was having the same problem described in this thread and I noticed that there was a small amount of slop between the Pitch gimbal motor and the camera assembly itself. This will drive the sensors crazy. I removed the U-shaped protective cover from around the shaft of camera assembly, Gently moved the ribbon cable out of the way and tightened the Phillips set screw. After putting the cover back in place and turning the Phantom on, the problem was gone and has not returned.
I hope this helps someone out there.

Can please take pictures of these areas where Phillips set screws are. Thanks

I will get some photos as soon as I get back to my phantom... it's sitting at the house while I'm at work. In answer to the other question... If you are looking at the camera from the front, the U-shaped bracket/cover is to the left, very close to the camera body(held on by 2 small screws). Once that cover is removed, the ribbon cable is visible. If you very carefully unwind and move the cable a little you should be able to see a set screw behind it on the shaft. A tiny bit of torque fixed mine. Photos to follow.

Here is a quick photo with the location of the cover identified.

Attachments

• cover location.jpg
    cover location.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,057
Mines been acting up also ... I removed the cover and found 2 screws that I tightened a small amount ... is that what you're talking about? I'd go test it except it's over 100 degrees here right now so I'll wait till tomorrow morning and report back if that fixed it. Thanks!

If you have found and tightened the correct screw. There will not be any slop between the motor and the camera. By that I mean, with the phantom powered off... Hold the camera with one hand and gently move(try to move) the pitch motor (the one closest to the camera). If there is any slop you will still have problems.

Attachments

• cover location.jpg
    cover location.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 544

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic