P2V Footage

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the world of the Phantom. My wife surprised me with a P2V for Christmas! Anyway, I've been out trying to capture some cool scenes lately and compiled some of the better shots into one piece. It is very hard to get smooth footage without a more sophisticated gimbal but I edit video in Adobe Premiere and the Warp Stabilizer plugin is making my life much easier. The resulting footage really feels like it had a more expensive gimbal to begin with :)

Enjoy: http://youtu.be/i8WufBlZALM

Since Christmas ? Welll done. Very well done.
I really like the old tanks and all. I also like the light consistent slow feel of it and the music fits in just right.
For you to take this video in the short time you have had it and edit it like this is really impressive.
Keep it up.

Nvr2fst said:
Since Christmas ? Welll done. Very well done.
I really like the old tanks and all.
For you to take this video in the short time you have had it and edit it like this is really impressive.
Keep it up.

:D

Great video Disjecta!

You've obviously got the stabilization methods down pat.

Thank you. I should have prefaced my post by saying I have been an cinematographer for about 12 years but I've never flown a camera. It's a completely new way of looking at the world for me but I have all sorts of creative ideas I want to try maneuvering the P2V as much as possible. I'm staying in GPS mode for now until I get enough confidence. I'm also staying low to the ground (relatively) until I have more experience under my belt.

Well done. Looked like a close call on one of the windmill blades.

Are you filming with 90 degree FOV or removing fisheye in post?

disjecta said:
Thank you. I should have prefaced my post by saying I have been an cinematographer for about 12 years but I've never flown a camera. It's a completely new way of looking at the world for me but I have all sorts of creative ideas I want to try maneuvering the P2V as much as possible. I'm staying in GPS mode for now until I get enough confidence. I'm also staying low to the ground (relatively) until I have more experience under my belt.

I figured as much. Cinematographer experience.
As far as low to the ground goes, I am starting to see that the better videos are not the ones way up. I feel, as you did, keeping your subject within a certain range goes much farther. Too high and there isn't really a defined subject. It's just "looking around". That is cool in its own way but.....

themosttoys, neither. I have it set to 140 degree and not removing any fisheye. I think it had to do with the angle I was shooting some shots. For instance, I was surprised that the windmill sails were not a little more bowed in some of the closer shots. I'm not a big fan of the fisheye look and I really haven't messed with the other FOVs yet.

Nvr2fst, I agree and that's where my experience comes in. I am used to working with cranes, for instance, and what sells a crane shot is not how high it is but what is in the foreground so that you can get some perspective, scale and a real sense of the camera moving. Like you say, being up too high and all you are looking at is a bunch of blobs and colors and no real sense of the camera moving except for a rotation. There is also no sense of scale unless you are seeing the odd car move along a street.

Clearly you're good at your craft... aspect ratio, framing, framerate, editing. That you instinctively knew how to utilize Vision to create something so beautiful is testament to that. Don't know whats on the cutting room floor, don't care. My favorite, your shot of the ascension thru the fog past the tree. If DJI throws another contest, I hope you participate & win.

iDrone (the Very)

Meh ... I have seen bette..........DUDE that was really really amazing from my opinion!!! .. your video actually makes you go ..yeah that is why I bought this thing ...

So good.. Thanks for sharing that .

Dang it... man that looks pretty good! You obviously aren't new to cinematography. If this is what you made having just got the thing...can't wait to see what you do when you get more time under your belt. Gonna be some great stuff I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

J

disjecta said:
I am used to working with cranes, for instance, and what sells a crane shot is not how high it is but what is in the foreground so that you can get some perspective, scale and a real sense of the camera moving.

You'll understand then that I was originally describing the P2V to photographer friends as a "flying jib." With enough practice I'm sure you can replicate most of the jib arm shots you're doing now (like the lake shots in "I Soar") with a P2V instead (and probably in less time)

Surprised nobody else has mentioned this yet but you have an awesome wife - getting a Phantom Vision as a Christmas gift is amazing!

jimre said:
Great work - love the shots of Gasworks park! Could you please share what settings you're using in Warp? Thanks!

Just the default settings for the Warp Stabilizer.

Here's my workflow:
Shoot in 1080 30p
In Adobe Premiere, interpret footage to 23.976fps (this is the same as 24fps)
Edit, color correct and apply Warp Stabilizer on a 24fps timeline
Nest edit into a new sequence and apply crop tool with 12.5% for both the top and bottom (this adds a letterbox effect to approximate CinemaScope aspect ratio)
Export at highest 1080 24p h264 setting.

By converting the footage from 30fps to 24fps, everything is effectively reduced in speed to 80% which helps to sell a sense of floating and smooth footage.

disjecta said:
themosttoys, neither. I have it set to 140 degree and not removing any fisheye. I think it had to do with the angle I was shooting some shots. For instance, I was surprised that the windmill sails were not a little more bowed in some of the closer shots. I'm not a big fan of the fisheye look and I really haven't messed with the other FOVs yet.

Wow absolutely one of the better videos I have seen taken from a PV. Very well done.
It's very easy to see that you have a lot of experience in framing the shots and of course the ideas.

About the fisheye (Im a professional photographer myself) when you are writing:
I think it had to do with the angle I was shooting some shots.
then you are absolutely right.
If you shoot photos or video on a totally straight vertical angel (not tilting up or down) you will have nearly no distortion (fish-eye effect). And it looks like most of your shots are taken that way.
I really like what you have done so far and Im also looking forward to see more.
By the way, I'm not sure if people realize how big part of the whole feeling/mood the music have in a video like this.
In this case the music is just perfect.
Thanks for sharing.

A fantastic video, to know this is what the P2V is capable of gives us all something to strive towards. Well done again!

With such a generic subject line, I almost didn't even bother venturing in to see. I'm so glad I did. What a great video and even more so, what great cinematography information.

Thank you!

DrestonF1 said:
With such a generic subject line, I almost didn't even bother venturing in to see. I'm so glad I did. What a great video and even more so, what great cinematography information.

Thank you!

Exactly what I thought at first. Oh great, yet another poor saps sad illusion that he has created a fresh masterpiece.
But as you can see, I said what the hell maybe I will get a giggle out of it. So I clicked in to see and was pleasantly surprised. I even watched the whole thing. Twice :D

MadnessFPV said:
Nvr2fst said:
disjecta said:

As far as low to the ground goes, I am starting to see that the better videos are not the ones way up. I feel, as you did, keeping your subject within a certain range goes much farther. Too high and there isn't really a defined subject. It's just "looking around". That is cool in its own way but.....

Don't listen to Nvr2fast. He's an *******.

....not again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MadnessFPV said:
Nvr2fst said:
disjecta said:

Don't listen to Nvr2fast. He's an *******.

...not again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20