P2V crash: plain repair or upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Greetings from Switzerland!

Last month I purchased a "like new, only flown twice" P2V with a nice case, a second RE500 range extender(why?) and a bunch of props. Great deal. Probably not.

• Both batteries were swollen -> Bought two new aftermarket batteries.
  • Egg camera showed telemetry but no FPV -> Tried to repair the camera encoder board, fried the board in the process, bought a parts camera on ebay, managed to get the stupid thing working. Big Thanks to this forum members' hard research and FlyMyMavic's video and tools!
  • GPS had a hard time locking any satellite at all in my garden (surrounded by buildings and trees)-> Did the foil shielding mod and replaced the antenna with the Taoglas 4mm one. Still not perfect but very good in open areas.
I flown twice in open areas with great success. Except for the FPV range, which is very limiting, like 50-60m only. Yesterday I showed it to my Father, we flew in the garden in ATTI mode(only 4 sats available), then I lost the FPV with the drone above my house. Mistook sticks, drone hit the roof and fell from like 20-30m. Props are shot and one motor is bad (turning hard).
  1. So I need a motor, can i just replace the broken one or do they need to replaced in pair?
  2. Is it worth it to upgrade to new 2312 motors and V3 ISCs?
  3. What are the recommended ways to increase the FPV range? Lots of related threads are getting old and may be outdated by now...
Have a nice day!

EDIT: title changed to be more descriptive

Last edited:

• PS had a hard time locking any satellite at all in my garden (surrounded by buildings and trees)-> Did the foil shielding mod and replaced the antenna with the Taoglas 4mm one. Still not perfect but very good in open areas.
The GPS antenna needs a clear, unobstructed view of the sky to receive satellites.
Buildings and trees block signals from satellites in the parts of the skyview they obscure.
More skyview = faster sat acquisition.
  1. So I need a motor, can i just replace the broken one or do they need to replaced in pair?
  3. What are the recommended ways to increase the FPV range? Lots of related threads are getting old and may be outdated by now...
It's not really worth doing repairs for that much damage on a drone that's so old.
Drone technology advanced a long way from what was available in the Phantom 2 series.
Even a Phantom 3 (Advanced or Pro, but not the Standard) is about 10 times better than a Phantom 2 series.

Thanks for your answer :) This thread is the first one I did and it disappeared when I edited the title. Maybe a moderator could merge the two topics, please?

As I wrote in the other one, I managed to repair the motor. The crash knocked the C-clip out and it got stuck on the motor's magnets, rubbing with the stator. Once back together it turned out fine.

In a mid-term future I may get a Mini 2 as I travel to Japan quite frequently and I definitely won't take a checked baggage only for the drone. But I would like to use the P2 as a learning tool first. Plus I love doing mods on my stuff.

Last month I purchased a "like new, only flown twice" P2V with a nice case, a second RE500 range extender(why?) and a bunch of props. Great deal. Probably not.

• Both batteries were swollen -> Bought two new aftermarket batteries.
  • Egg camera showed telemetry but no FPV -> Tried to repair the camera encoder board, fried the board in the process, bought a parts camera on ebay, managed to get the stupid thing working. Big Thanks to this forum members' hard research and FlyMyMavic's video and tools!
  • GPS had a hard time locking any satellite at all in my garden (surrounded by buildings and trees)-> Did the foil shielding mod and replaced the antenna with the Taoglas 4mm one. Still not perfect but very good in open areas.
I flown twice in open areas with great success. Except for the FPV range, which is very limiting, like 50-60m only. Yesterday I showed it to my Father, we flew in the garden in ATTI mode(only 4 sats available), then I lost the FPV with the drone above my house. Mistook sticks, drone hit the roof and fell from like 20-30m. Props are shot and one motor is bad (turning hard).
Have a nice day!

EDIT: title changed to be more descriptive
The ol' mistook the sticks trick. Yeah , I have done that before. One night the remote got into mode 1 instead of the normal mode 2 . 100% user error , I blame the tequila. Right hook into the house.

Reactions: crash1sttime

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.